“Bad attitude from reception staff”

Paramount Hotel Times Square New York
Ranked #382 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Dublin
“Bad attitude from reception staff”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I have stayed in the Paramount Hotel before but found this experience very disappointing. I was staying with my sister and my young son who is a baby under 1 year. Upon arrival I found the room had no kettle for me to boil water for my babys bottle. I went to reception to ask them if they had any kettles for such circumstances. I was told "we dont do that here you will have to go and buy one". The attitude was very dismissive and I left reception quite upset. I was not offered any help with bringing my luggage to my room which I have always had before in every hotel I have ever stayed in within the USA. I tried to find a kettle that night but as I had only arrived I did not have time to go to every shop to find one. I went back to reception at 11.00pm and asked if it was even possible to have a cup of hot water until I could buy a kettle. I got the exact same response "we dont do that here go to the coffee shop next door". I can accept that no kettles are provided and maybe nobody in the hotel drinks tea or coffee but the attitude of the staff members was appalling and very unfriendly. I had to buy a kettle for $40 to boil water. The room was ok but had no stopper in the bath so I could not give my baby a bath and the sinks stopper did not work properly so I could not even sit him in that to wash him. The hotel is certainly not child friendly. I can accept the issues with the room as the clening of it on a daily basis was excellent and the fact that no kettle was provided but my main reason for writing this review is the staffs attitude. A little compassion and friendly attitude goes a long way. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank EeyoreDublin
NYCPHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Please allow me to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We value each of our guests and it’s never pleasant to be informed that a guest had a negative experience. Our hotel prides itself in providing the best possible customer service to our guests. This is not indicative of the service we seek to provide. I would like to further investigate your concerns with our management team to ensure this matter is addressed. Please contact me at erodriguez-febles@paramount-nyc.com with the full name on your reservation, the dates of your stay and your TripAdvisor comment attached. I look forward to hearing from you.

Emily

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I have for many years stayed at The Paramount Hotel in New York and would never choose anywhere else. It's central location,comfort,cleanliness value for money and friendly staff make this one of the best boutique hotels in the world.

1 Thank Traynor150921
Thank you for choosing to stay with us! We appreciate the loyalty to our hotel and look forward to servicing you as our guest in the future.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 5 June 2014

With awesome service, great location and a reasonable price, I will stay here again and have no problem recommending the Paramount to friends and family. This was a great home base for a New York weekend!

• Stayed May 2014
NYCPHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
We appreciate you sharing your 5 star experience with us! How awesome is it to receive awesome service, a great location and a reasonable price all in one place? Thank you for recommending us and we look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to New York City.

Lakewood, Ohio
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The Paramount is really an interesting place. One of the most beautiful lobbies you'll see anywhere, a full refurbishment, a terrific location if you're doing anything related to Times Square/Theatre district or just looking to be in midtown, and generally a friendly, helpful staff. It's also idiosyncratic - one of the darkest hotels in which I've ever stayed (the lobby is vampire friendly at 11 am, and it's almost laughingly dark in the elevators to the point where the numbers are hard to see), the rooms are postage-stamp sized but fairly typical for a boutique hotel in NY (and are clean, albeit quite spartan), the workout facility is small and cramped, an d there are small things like the coffee shop doesn't open until 7 am (in NY??). I also had a bad experience with the concierge, who made a recommendation for dinner (was looking for mexican food) and sent me to a little hellhole of a place located in Hell's Kitchen that had no liquor license and had seating for about four people. Pleasant surprises included a meal I had (try the waffle-ized chicken sandwich, strange though it sounds), and a cozy and - of course - hyper-dark lounge. It's an aesthetically striking facility that gets even better on closer inspection - just sitting in the lobby to check email, people-watch and relax is a wonderful experience - and I'd go back. Sun glasses definitely not needed indoors!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us. It’s unfortunate to here that the recommendation you were provided did not work our well. Your feedback has been shared with the team in order for us to provide the best service possible to each of our guests. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel the next time you’re in New York City.

Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed at the Paramount Hotel from May29-June 2. The location was perfect. We wanted to see Motown the musical . We were just steps away from the theater . The Paramount is near everything! The staff was very helpful as well as friendly. The rooms were a bit smaller than what I'm accustomed to however they were very clean. The beds were very comfortable. Loved the lobby! There are a few things that I wished they had : more lighting in the halls and elevators, a refrigerator ,microwave and a coffee pot. Overall i enjoyed my stay. I would definitely reserve a room again.

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We’re glad to hear that our hotel is positioned perfectly for everything you wanted to be near including Motown. We have several different size rooms that our staff can assist you with to upgrade to if your found your room to be smaller than you would have liked. Also, there are refrigerators available upon request. Always feel free to ask for any additional amenities you may need prior to or during check-in. Glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back again soon.

florida
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed 3 nights here, in a deluxe king. Well, first off, don't trust the pictures on the website. Deluxe king does not come with a couch (as shown). When I questioned front desk about if we were in a deluxe, she said yes. I said 'but its supposed to have a couch', she said 'sir, I just work here'. Yes, actually said that. To which I showed her a pic of the website and the couch for deluxe room and she said 'I didn't make the website, I only work here'. Unbelievable.,
Room had no couch, no clock, AC didnt work properly, bathroom faucets leaked, low water pressure, etc etc.
Hotel lobby had a sleazy vibe to it.
Save your money and stay at the Hilton Garden Inn a few blocks away, which might not be a 'boutique' hotel (still trying to figure out what that means), and stay at a place with corporate standards.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank tabascov
Please allow me to apologize that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations. We value each of our guests and it’s never pleasant to be informed that a guest had a negative experience. Our hotel seeks to provide customers with the best information possible through our website which notes the correct details of what is included in each room. I apologize if your concern with the couch was not further investigated. I would like to follow up on your concerns with the rooms overall. We provide ourselves in providing highest level of customer service to all of our guests. Please contact me at erodriguez-febles@paramount-nyc.com with the full name on your reservation, the dates of your stay and your TripAdvisor comment attached. I look forward to hearing from you and resolving your concerns.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Angola, New York
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My fiancé and I attempted to stay here in mid-march and it almost ruined our mini-vacation to NYC!!!! First we were left standing outside waiting for 30 minutes for the guy to bring us a luggage rack to bring our bags upstairs. When we finally arrived in our closet of a room that had a view of absolutely nothing, I attempted to take a shower; to my dismay the faucet turned on (cold water only) and then fell off in my hand. After waiting another half hour for maintenance to get to our room, he couldn't fix it; in turn we were "upgraded" to a larger room. Instead of being offered bell service to move our stuff, we had to ask for it and ended up waiting 20 minutes before we just grabbed our stuff ourselves. Upon arriving in our new room, I finally got to take a shower with hot water!!! Yay!!! However when I got out of the shower and reached for a towel...there was (what looked like) PUBIC hair on the towel!!!! Good thing I packed my own towels! So my fiancé and I decided to go out fit a while, before we left we told the manager about the disgusting towels and he apologized and said it would be taken care of before we returned. Sooooo, we get back to our room after we ate and there is a pile of new towels on out bed but the pubic hair towel is STILL hanging in the bathroom!!!! At this point we're beyond disgusted, my fiancé decided to got down stairs again and inform the manager and asked him to come up to our room to see that he has incompetent staff. The manager yelled at my fiancé and when my fiancé went to use his cell phone to call hotels.com to complain to then, the manager SLAPPED HIS PHONE OUT OF HIS HAND and said that he was kicking us out of the hotel and calling the police!!!!!!! Hotels.com did refund all of our $ for this hotel and found us a room that was much nicer and slightly cheaper at the Edison only a block away...

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank Jmj8883
Please allow me to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your recent stay with us. We value each of our guests and it’s never pleasant to be informed that a guest had a negative experience. All of our managers and staff have been trained to provide the highest level of customer service possible to each of our guests. This type of behavior is not acceptable in any way; therefore I would like to further investigate the alleged actions to ensure this matter is appropriately addressed. Please contact me at erodriguez-febles@paramount-nyc.com with the full name on your reservation, the dates of your stay and your TripAdvisor comment attached. I look forward to hearing from you and resolving your concerns.