“New York and the Paramount - I can't have one without the other”

Paramount Hotel Times Square New York
Ranked #374 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“New York and the Paramount - I can't have one without the other”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

I have been going here for years and years - It has changed sometimes for the better and more often than not - for the worse..but I can't help it - I love the place. Small rooms, even smaller bathrooms and even less storage. The bar on the ground floor is cool - drinks or dinner on mezzanine floor over looking the balcony can be fun - watch the good, bad and the ugly waft thru' the lobby or around the first floor. If your a light sleeper - then don't go - the aircon makes the most unbelievable rattle. Two things - that always stick with me - and still make me smile - the lifts have mood lighting and tell you the weather forecast using illuminated panels in the lift walls. The second thing - was order a movie (of the adult variety - which was delivered to my room in a brown paper bag). The other thing to remember is that all the rooms have floor to ceiling headboards with Renaissance works of art in gilt frames - very disconcerting when you wake up - hung over, open your eyes and there staring down at you is a cherub…nothing if not memorable!

Room Tip: Its an acquired taste - my view. Walk in, have a drink! Ask the front desk - if they have any availa...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
NYCPHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your 5 star feedback with us. We’re pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us however since your last stay there have been a renovation of the lobby, restaurant/ bar and mezzanine areas as well as upgrades to all of our guest rooms. We hope to welcome you back again to experience the upgrades we have made to our hotel.

Emily

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

I spent a week in May, part of the group which had the (appalling) credit card experience. We had two queen beds which were excellent, with good quality linen and towels changed every day. Storage and floor space were minimal, but the air-con worked (noisily) and the room, at the back, was quiet . Bathroom poor - minute, feeble shower, bath surface painted and chipped, but everything worked - not the experience of some in our group!
Concierge and room staff excellent, but management "unavailable" even when there were serious complaints. One night there was no water - beyond the hotel's control and we were warned in advance- but the request for bottled water - I thought essential - was rejected outright.
Although I personally had few major complaints, the overall experience of our group - about 30 of us- leads me to say I cannot recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher rooms at the back quieter
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Please allow me to apologize that your experience did not live up you’re your expectations or ours. We value each of our guests and it’s never pleasant to be informed that a guest or group in particular had a negative experience. All guest feedback is very important to us so that we can ensure we provide the best possible service to our guests. I would like to follow up on your concerns. Please contact me at erodriguez-febles@paramount-nyc.com with the full name on your reservation, the dates of your stay and your TripAdvisor comment attached. I look forward to hearing from your and further investigating your concerns.

Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

A group of people booked accommodations at this hotel as there was a group rate offered for a destination wedding. Those that had rooms on the 9th floor said the water pressure was so poor that to shower was to experience probably what it would be like to have someone piss on your head. Several others also had complaints in regards to how tiny the rooms were. Many of us, including myself, have travelled to NYC before and understand that space is a luxury but never experienced such restrictively small hotel rooms in other NYC hotels, even those also in Times Square.

I shared the 2-double bed room with 3 other people. The room was directly across from the elevators and was so ridiculously small that it should never be used for two beds unless they are two single beds. The four of us are not above average in size or shape whatsoever and there was barely enough room to side-step shuffle (not even walk!) between the outer sides of the beds and walls, and two people had great difficulty standing between the two beds at once, in any configuration.

There was no place and no room to leave any sort of luggage open at all. The luggage had to be kept closed and upright and our duffle bags on top. Anytime we wanted to access anything from them we had to make room on the bed, put our duffle or haul our luggage onto the bed, open and retrieve what we wanted, close it all up again and place it back upright and in the only place we had for them which was under the TV. Indeed, there was not even enough space on the floor to open a luggage there. There was a luggage rack provided in the room but I don’t know where we were supposed to open it up to use it. There was a desk in the room but it was also small; maybe 3’ x 1.5’ so only enough to hold our small flat of water, snacks, and purses.

The bathroom was the smallest I have ever seen and indeed anyone of larger proportions would have found it challenging maneuvering within it without brushing against a wall, or the toilet, or sink. The paint in the bathtub was chipped and the towel rack fell on several occasions with nothing but 3 bath towels hanging on it. The placement of the soap dish in the shower was such that it collected water and thus the soap had to be put in a corner of the shower/tub instead.

The thermostat was not working properly; the temperature was often incorrect. The AC was under the window on the side of the room opposite the door and beside the door was the thermostat. The AC, when activated, would blow furiously such that anyone in the bed beside it or in the next bed on the near side would be blasted with cold air.

We had the room made up twice during our week-long stay and after the second time I found grease stains and brown markings on both ends of the bed sheet. I assumed that we weren’t getting new sheets when having the room made up but those stains weren’t on the previous sheets before so it seems I was given a dirty sheet; extremely disgusting and disturbing.

The icing on the cake: the Paramount has a nice lobby and during our stay we had seen many people having drinks and eating there. So one rainy day we got pizza from the tiny Italian place a few doors down that had all of their maybe six stools taken. Thus, instead of eating while standing out in the rain we decided to head back to the lobby to eat. We sat down and were about partway through when a female employee approached us and very loudly announced that there was no eating allowed in the lobby and that she just wanted to let us know before security came by to tell us the same. So she spoke as if she was doing us a favour but was yet announcing it for the entire lobby to hear. Very embarrassing, disrespectful and rude.

I will never stay at this place again and DO NOT recommend anyone stay here unless you want to risk having a tiny room, dribbling water in the shower, dirty bed sheets, being frozen by the AC, and to be embarrassed in the lobby by rude staff.

Room Tip: Rooms on 9th floor have no water pressure. Rooms directly across from elevators are tiny and should...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank J L
Please allow me to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. All of our guests’ feedback is very important to us and we communicate the feedback with our management team and staff. We pride ourselves in providing the best possible customer service to each of our guests daily. Your experience is not indicative of the type of service provide at our hotel. In regards to the eating and drinking in the lobby, many guests like to enjoy cocktails and drinks from the bar while relaxing in the lobby. Unfortunately we do not permit food from outside vendors to be eaten in the lobby area. While you may have been informed of a hotel policy, the approach you mentioned you experienced from the staff member is not acceptable. I would like to further investigate all of your concerns with our team. Please contact me at erodriguez-febles@paramount-nyc.com with the full name on your reservation, the dates of your stay and your TriPAdvisor comment attached. I look forward to hearing from your and resolving your concerns.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for the second time this past Sat & Sunday night. Renovations were done and were nice. A bit dark, but nice. We got an email invite to stay for a second time and we booked it. We asked for an early check-in and corner room. We paid for a deluxe room King bed. We arrived at 1pm and was told to come back at three. Lobby was packed! We went to the Metropolitan museum and came back around 5pm. Lobby was still packed and very chaotic. We got a room, which was the size of a shoe box. and a queen bed. I immediately called and said I cannot stay in this room. It was too closterphobic for me. We had booked a King room, which they said they did not have it available. BUt, that's what we booked and paid for?????? We used the tiny room to get ready and about 1hr in, a King room was available. We packed up and went to another room. I will have to say the manager Monique tried very hard to accomodate us. It appeared to be a crazy busy weekend?? Very chaotic.

Another complaint for me was the "aromatherapy" piped into the air. I have asthma and severe allergies. The smell was nice at first, but really strong floral sent!. After an hour I felt sick from it. Just an FYI incase you have allergies. Don't stay here! The aroma idea is nice , but not for everyone, too strong for me!

This is a great location, but I have stayed at better hotels on West 44th street.
Sorry Paramount, we won't be back. :(

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Please allow me to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. It’s disappointing to hear that your second stay with us did not live up to your expectations or ours. I would like to further investigate your concerns. Please contact me at erodriguez-febles@paramount-nyc.com with the full name on your reservation, the dates of your stay and your TripAdvisor comment attached. I look forward to hearing from your and resolving your concerns.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

The hotel is steps away from Times Square in the middle of the Theater District - the atmosphere is hip with a DJ working his magic in the lobby. Unfortunately, the room was truly tiny even for NYC standards with a small bed that wasn't particularly comfortable. No desk space. Bathroom was small also with an antiquated shower which didn't have any water pressure - the water was literally dribbling out of the shower (also took 5-10 min to get warm...). The gentleman at check-in gave me a code for free Wi-Fi which was nice. But the room were well below average hence my rating.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Oliver J
NYCPHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Please allow be to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us with us. We care about each of our guests’ experiences and seek to ensure that concerns are properly addressed. Please contact me at erodriguez-febles@paramount-nyc.com with the full name on your reservation, the dates of your stay and your TripAdvisor comment attached. I look forward to hearing from your and further investigating your concerns.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival at this property I appreciated its close location to my NYC offices and the heart of Times Square. What I was concerned about was the fact that this is also a hyper chic hotel that has a 'club' atmosphere (DJ in lobby at night). Typically these types of hotels are big on lobby appearance and lack in terms of room size and comfort. I was not disappointed upon seeing my room. I was lucky enough to secure a corner room and it was comfortable for a stay that lasted six days. Also, it did seem like a fun 'escape' upon arrival each night. Rooms are very clean and modern without clutter. I would suggest this property both for business or pleasure.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We’re pleased to hear your enjoyed your overall stay and found your room to be accommodating for your needs during your visit. Thank you we recommending us and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Albany, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I arrived the hotel at 11 am this morning, I understand the hotel checkin time (3pm) policy, so I waited at the lobby from 11 am. Around 3 pm, I tried to checkin. The lady said my name was not on revervation (I used my wife's name for the resevation and she was not with me at that moment). So, I called the reservation department of the hotel to add my name. After my name was added, the lady told me that they did not have the type of room (queen) I reserved. She offered me a room with double bed, but I want a bigger bed. SO, I AM STILL WAITING AT THE LOBBY NOW.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Please allow me to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with your reservation. We value each of our guests and it’s never pleasant to be informed that a guest had a negative experience. I would like to follow up on your concerns. Please contact me at erodriguez-febles@paramount-nyc.com with the full name on your reservation, the dates of your stay and your TripAdvisor comment attached. I look forward to speaking with you.