“Wonderful Hotel”

Paramount Hotel Times Square New York
Ranked #382 of 468 Hotels in New York City
“Wonderful Hotel”
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

The decor of this boutique hotel is unusual and amazing!
Only negatives are it's a bit dark and rooms are small. Great location and the reception staff are wonderful and very helpful.

Would recommend

• Stayed August 2014
NYCPHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, 20 October 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us! We are so happy to hear you enjoyed our decor, location and guest service and greatly appreciate your feedback on the lighting. As you may know, our hotel is an architectural landmark which opened almost 90 years ago. I hope this sheds some light with regards to the room size.

We look forward to sharing your review with the team and hope to have you back with us again soon!

All the best,

Management Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Greek first
New York
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Here's a run-down:

1) Terrible Customer Service

I called ahead to let them know my flight was delayed and I would need to check in late. I was put on hold for 15 minutes and forwarded to three different people before finally talking to the front desk, who replied, "ok", and hung up.

The night before I left, I asked where I could print my boarding passes for my flight early the next morning. Apparently, they don't have computers or printers for that! I've stayed at motels who have this amenity, so needless to say, I was unpleasantly surprised. The front desk person advised me to wait until 8am the next day and wait for the tourism concierge person, and they would help me sort it out. I told him that I had to arrive at the airport at 8am to catch my flight, and he just waved me off and said "oh no worries, you'll be fine!" and began to help the next customer.

2) Location is Convenient

Location was actually excellent -- I will give credit where credit is due. Although the immediate surrounding area is a little shady at night and smelly in the morning, it's a quick walk to Times Square and very convenient for tourists. The hotel is also right next to at least two broadway musical theaters that were playing amazing shows, so that's also a plus.

3) Night Club Lobby, Jail-themed Hotel Rooms and Hallways

Lobby is very fun: it's dark with loud music and has plush seats all around, almost like a night club. Very chic and fitting for younger audiences.
The lobby also has a little convenience store with snacks, beverages, and miscellaneous things. Prices aren't too bad for something located in an upscale hotel, and the man running the register was very nice and helpful.

The overall ambience of the hallways outside the room reminds me of a jail-themed hotel: the walls are charcoal and white stripes; lighting is poor (a few lights were broken/out along the hallways); there are no decorations on the walls either in the rooms or in the halls; and there's a large free-standing mirror placed next to the elevator landing that makes it look like they're in the middle of construction. The room doors look old, and the paint is chipped and peeling on the sides, which also reflects the jail theme.

Rooms are very small, and the bathroom literally is the size of a mini broom closet. The toilet is practically underneath the sink, and the shower curtain blocks half the sink from above. There's not a real closet -- it's more of a long cabinet set into the wall.
However, the furniture is very simplistic and elegant, and the bed is very soft and luxurious. The magazines on the desk are a nice touch, and the overhead lights above the bed make for a very convenient reading light.

4) Restaurant food is inedible

I went to the restaurant/bar they have downstairs for dinner one night, and order two appetizers: chicken pesto linguini and fried calamari.
The pesto linguini was cold and the noodles were limp; the pesto had a very odd, overpowering bitter taste, and the chicken had a tough, leathery texture to it -- but otherwise was seasoned nicely.
The fried calamari came with a chipotle dip that just tasted like bad mayonnaise, and the calamari itself was disgusting. The fried batter was chewy and moist, not crisp at all! To make it worse, the calamari was like chewing hard rubber; it was so bad I choked on a piece when I tried swallowing.

Service was also subpar; every so often, they would come over, stare at me for a few minutes, then leave. My water glass was never refilled, my empty dishes (I was starving and desperate) were never taken away, and I waited 20 minutes for the dessert menu before giving up and asking for the check. Top it all off, the check came with 18% tip already included.

5) Hotel services non-existent

Despite them telling me over and over again that there is a doorman who can help me flag a taxi, there was no doorman, except for on the morning of my departure.
I was dressed in a suit every day, being there for business purposes, and every day I had other hotel guests come up and ask if I was the doorman and could I please help them flag a taxi, since I was outside flagging them for myself.

On the morning of my departure, I finally spotted a doorman in the lobby, and asked him to help me flag a taxi while I brought my luggage outside. Instead of flagging a taxi like I had asked, he put me in a fancy limo which he dubbed "the hotel's car service" and said it would be an all-inclusive $65 flat rate to the airport.
Even knowing that I was running late, the limo driver ended up going through many side streets and unnecessary detours (I had Google maps running on my phone) and took two hours to get to JFK -- about 50 minutes longer than it should have taken, given the traffic at the time. As if that wasn't enough, he wouldn't let me pay with a credit card even though I had specifically asked him if I could at the beginning of the trip and he had acquiesced. After the airport police got involved, he finally gave in and allowed me to use my credit card, but told me it would be $75, not $65. It took two other taxi drivers who overheard our argument yelling at him on my behalf for him to begrudgingly charge me $65 for the trip. Of course, I had to offload my luggage, as he clearly wasn't going to help me with them.
Honestly, had it not been for my previous experience with the hotel's customer service at the front desk, I would have been appalled at the service of their car service.

OVERALL --
Not the worst hotel experience I've had, but pretty close to it. For a hotel of this caliber, I expected much, MUCH more.
It's got everything you need if you just want somewhere to sleep and don't mind not enjoying your time there, but just keep in mind that service isn't going to happen so don't expect it.
And, avoid their car service if you possibly can.

Room Tip: Honestly, find another hotel. All their windows face large lit-up screens outside, and their curtain...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Anon Y
NYCPHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Please allow me to apologize that your recent experience did not live up to your expectations or ours. We value each of our guests and it’s never pleasant to be informed that a guest had a negative experience. We pride ourselves in providing our guests with the best services throughout. Your experience is not indicative of the service we seek to provide. We understand that not every guest is pleased with having a cozier living space, but as a historic hotel, our unique room sizes are a huge part of our history. We have many different room sizes and our staff is always available to assist in finding you accommodations that better suit your preferences. I would like to further investigate your concerns with our team to ensure this is not a repeat occurrence with future guests. Please contact me at erodriguez-febles@paramount-nyc.com with the full name on your reservation, the dates of your stay and your TripAdvisor comment attached. I look forward to hearing from your and resolving your concerns.

Best Regards,

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Have you ever heard the saying - 'you couldn't swing a cat in here' well that saying is applicable to the superior room we had. I know this is New York, but the pictures shown on the website appear to be cleverly taken, showing a far larger room. The bathroom has an oversized sink leaving little room to dry yourself after showering, and there was barely room to sit straight on the toilet. The air conditioning is very, very loud. The hotel lobby is nice, as was the bar/restaurant but we were disappointed that a beer and a prosecco cost over $28 (in comparison a rooftop bar around the corner with fabulous views over Times Square was far less). There are doorman, although we only experienced an open door on one or two occasions. If your ok with a small room, the location is very good. (We have previously stayed in two other Times Square hotels).

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. As a historic landmark in NYC, some of our rooms are a bit on the cozier side. As no two rooms are a like in our hotel, next time you are in the area we are more than happy to offer you a different room type that better suites your needs. Please be assured that your feedback has been shared with our team to assist in providing a better experience for future guests. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards,
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Upon entering to the hotel, I was greeted by Rishii the doorman with my bags. He was very efficient and friendly while he walked me into the lobby with my kids and told me about the renovation the hotel did which was spectacular. He announced Nerma the most wonderful front desk agent, which she greeted us with a Friendly welcoming smile. I booked the reservation with a third party and was told I had a full size bed, and was very disappointed. However, Nerma saw I was with my kids and gave me a Complimentary Upgrade to a room with 2beds which I was so happy with. She was so nice,and helpful with our accommodations. I definitely recommend paramount to everyone, and being checked in by Nerma was truly wonderful. She is an asset to the Paramount.

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us. We are glad to hear you had an opportunity to meet two of the many great team members we have here. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another unforgettable experience.

Kind Regards,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

My husband (age 29) and I (age 27) stayed here for a weekend in August. We stayed in a Deluxe King room and have no complaints (except the lighting could have been a little brighter). The room was spacious, clean and modern.

The lobby is amazing... it's like a super trendy lounge. I'm disappointed I didn't spend more time there.

We ordered room service; portions were large and the food tasted good. Of course the food was over priced, but it's room service and it's New York, so you'd be a fool to expect reasonable prices.

The staff were always very pleasent and eager to help.

Location is great, literally a 30 second walk to the heart of times square. I would definitely stay here next time I return to NYC.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
NYCPHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience with us! Our lobby is definitely an eye catcher for its unique and chic appearance. It’s definitely a great spot to sit and relax while listening to the live DJ after a long day out in the city. We pride ourselves in providing our guests with great service and we’re glad to hear you had pleasant experience with our staff and their willingness to assist. We are look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels find you in New York City!

Kind Regards,
San Diego, California
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights with a friend and it was nice.

Very convenient location, a block away from Times Square, front desk is friendly. Concierge very helpful.

Room is clean, with original and modern furnitures, however it was a bit small, but for the time we spent in our room wasn't a big deal..

I might stay a the same place next time I'll be in town.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Thomas T
Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Pros: Lobby was awesome, with a nightclub feel to it. Service was quick and really awesome location-close to all the Broadway theater.
Cons: Really "compact" room with essentially nothing to it. Super expensive for what you get.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Shara C
Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback with us. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed to look and feel to our unique lobby. It's unfortunate to hear you were unsatisfied with the size of the room you were in. Some rooms are a bit cozier than others. We have many different size rooms throughout our unique and historic hotel. Our staff are always available to assist you with a room that better accommodates your preferences. Should you wish to give us a second chance to wow you, we hope that you would contact us directly to find out more information on the room types we offer.

Best Regards,