“The Good, the bad and the not so ugly” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Park Central Hotel New York

Park Central Hotel New York
Ranked #263 of 467 Hotels in New York City
West Palm Beach, Florida
“The Good, the bad and the not so ugly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

My sister and I recently stayed at the Park Central (five nights, six days). We chose the hotel because it was one of the few we could find that looked good and offered two beds in the room. (We are sisters, not a couple!)

Starting with the not so ugly, when we first arrived we were impressed by the ultra modern decor of the lobby though it is not one where you can hang out. It only had a few benches and no other seating which makes the lobby pretty unwelcoming. (The entire hotel had been recently redone.) Check-in was easy and we went to our room.

Then, the bad began. There are only two small elevators handling an entire wing of the hotel so waits are long and the rides seem to take forever. Upon entering the room, my sister, who is a little "smell" sensitive noticed a disturbing odor (which I did not sense). She also noticed a lot of dirt and dustballs where the carpet met the floorboards and chipped paint below the window. We had been promised a great view with an upgrade but I don't consider the rooftop of buildings with giant AC units to be a great view. (Happily you can close the drapes!) And, you know how most hotels give you an array of small bottles of lotion, shampoo, conditioner, shower cap, etc? Not the Park Central. There was one tiny bottle of lotion and one bar of soap. (To be fair, there are three large "community" bottles of product int he shower.) On top of all that, our AC was a little sluggish.

We spoke to management and they offered us a change of rooms the next day. We decided against the change because the new room was on 17, we were on 9 and thought the elevator situation would be even worse on a higher floor. Unfortunately, housekeeping did not do our room because they thought we were moving (miscommunication.)! So after our first day in the city, we returned to a room in the same condition as when we left that morning. There was one more housekeeping issue when my bed was made with a sheet that had black stains on it.

Now the good...the staff was very accommodating. They got the AC fixed, gave us more toiletries, resolved the housekeeping issues and gave us a break on our bill to compensate for the issues. And, by the way, the restaurant is very good but if you don't want to eat there (breakfast is a little hotel pricey), there are plenty of neighborhood delis. There is one other thing, if you are visiting NY to see shows, there is NO better location. So, despite my 3 star review, will I stay there again? Absolutely!

Room Tip: We were on the ninth floor and noticed NO street noise. As with most NY hotels, higher floors are g...
2 Thank RadioGirlFL
PCH870, General Manager at Park Central Hotel New York, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear RadioGirlFL,

Thank you for your detailed review of our hotel. We appreciate and value all of our guest’s feedback, as it is an excellent tool to continually improve our processes and afford a better experience for our future guests.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our newly renovated ultra modern lobby, and perfect location. I am so sorry for the challenges you faced during your stay, but I am happy to hear that our Team was able to resolve the issues efficiently and professional.

Without your input, we would be unable to continuously assess our performance and gain an understanding of how we are performing in our collective goal of becoming the first choice in travel in New York City.

Don Fraser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (666)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Unfortunately not what I had hoped for or expected. Booked a double bed room for family and was given options to upgrade on the website for a larger queen deluxe room which I opted for at an extra $75.00 per night. If this was the larger room, I would hate to see what the standard room size is because it was in my opinion tiny. There was pretty much no room for our luggage. It was very tight and minimal standard.

The elevators were a disaster. I saw four elevators but for the whole stay only one or two worked making for extremely long lines and long wait times coming and going. We ended up waiting for the elevator going up to our 12th floor room and taking the stairs coming back down. This was very frustrating.

The air conditioning I would have to say is a bad system. It is very loud and blows cold air so cannot set for an all night comfort level. If you leave your window open as an alternative for fresh air, the police and ambulance sirens are relentless all night long. Needless to say, no one slept well at all.

The location however was fine. Close to the park and 5th Ave shopping if this is what you are coming for. It is also located right next to the subway line which is great but the subway was closed at this location for maintenance during our stay.

Normally we stay in mid-town but we stayed here for a less busy and noisy location. I would not stay here again. I noticed what appears to be a large Sheraton two blocks away that I assume would have better / larger rooms and (my guess) would be a better experience.

Room Tip: Stay on lower floor if elevators are down and you need to use the stairs.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
PCH870, General Manager at Park Central Hotel New York, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Davep1212,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am so sorry to hear of your disappointment. We appreciate and value all of our guest’s feedback, as it is an excellent tool to continually improve our processes and afford a better experience for our future guests.

Please accept my sincerest apology for the challenges you faced during your stay. I am disheartened to hear that the details of your upgrade were not thoroughly communicated to you. I am also, so sorry to hear of the challenges with your AC unit and long waits for the elevators. All of your feedback has been shared with our Department Heads, so we can work hard to correct these shortcomings.

Without your input, we would be unable to continuously assess our performance and gain a better understanding of our areas for improvement. I do hope you will give Park Central another opportunity to show you a truly memorable experience on your next visit to NYC.

Copenhagen
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Standard hotel, international style, clean busy and anonomous. But foe my purpose, buiseness, very good. Good room, cleaned daily, with nice window facing time sq. Wifi is really bad, and service from front desk is hopeless in this regard. Very much NY attitude. Location outstanding, and genuine NY city feeling right on the doorstep. Prices fluctuated enormeously during my 5 day stay from 200 to 600$ A night for the same room

Room Tip: Ask for room with time sq view at the end of the isle
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear lnchCopenhagen,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate and value all of our guest’s feedback, as it is an excellent tool to continually improve our processes and afford a better experience for our future guests.

I am delighted to hear that you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed your view of Time Square.

Please accept my sincerest apology for the challenges you faced with the wifi connection. I am also, so sorry to hear that your concerns were not met with warmth and compassion from our Front Office Team. Please be assured that all of your feedback has been shared with our Department Heads, so that we can immediately address these issues.

We truly appreciate your feedback, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Park Central soon.

Los Gatos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Between Times Square and Central Park, so walking distance to Broadway, 5th Avenue, Rockefeller etc too. We used the open topped tourist buses to get around when we weren't walking.

Central but surprisingly quiet. Rooms clean and comfortable. Staff very helpful. Would definitely stay again.

Sleep Quality
Dear AA73,

Thank you for your fantastic review and recommendation! We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Park Central soon!

Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

The location of this hotel was excellent . Near to the park and everything you could want or need. The entrance is nice and spacious and the reception staff were helpful and friendly. The room was a good size ( for NY) but the bathroom was toy size. HOWEVER we found dust balls behind the furniture and a pair of dirty tights, a dirty sock and undies under the beds VERY UNIMPRESSED....

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a room by the ice machines in the corridors ( in the summer)
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jane W
Dear Jane W,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate and value all of our guest’s feedback, both positive and constructive, as it is an excellent tool to continually improve our processes and afford a better experience for our future guests.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our excellent location, spacious guestrooms and friendly Front Office Team.

Please accept my sincerest apology for the challenges you faced with the cleanliness of your room. I am astounded to learn of the items that were found behind the furniture. Please be assured that this issue will be immediately addressed with the individual Team Member.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you again soon.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

The room was clean but very small.

The bigger problem with the Park Central was the consistent bad service we received from the staff.

We arrived at 1.30am and waited at least 15 minutes before a member of staff checked us in. The staff were not welcoming, friendly or apologetic about our wait.

Before we arrived at the hotel I had contacted them asking if they could recommend anywhere locally I could order a birthday cake for my sister, I received no response.

The hotel then failed to notify me when the cake I arranged to be delivered had arrived. If it hadn't been for an email from UPS I believe this would have been lost by the luggage room who couldn't find the parcel when I arrived with my email notification. I had planned to nip down to the front desk to collect this surprise cake for my sister, and was sent to three different people before someone eventually helped me, this took over 25 minutes and as a result ruined my surprise.

The same day, we used the concierge desk to book an excursion with equally poor service. The man who served us was extremely rude, not only did he answer the telephone while he was selling us tickets, he also picked up the phone and made calls to other guests about their dry cleaning. This may not have been so unacceptable if the man was capable of multi-tasking, however, he stopped serving us while he did these other tasks meaning we waited longer than necessary.

On our final day we also asked the concierge if it was possible to book a taxi for our return journey to JFK. We were quoted $93 for a private taxi which was expensive considering yellow cabs advertise flat fares of $50. The concierge's response to this was that the $50 didn't include tolls or gratuity and that yellow cabs were unreliable. We therefore booked two private cars as advised. Later that day when we were leaving the doorman advised that if we'd booked a taxi through the hotel it would have only cost $60. We were confused by this because as far as we were concerned we'd booked through the hotel's concierge, it was only at this point we were told the concierge desk was not part of the hotel team. This is not communicated by the hotel staff at all and there are no signs. We felt totally ripped off. To make matters worse, our second car was 30 minutes later which was extremely stressful. The concierge also advised gratuity was included with our payment, which it was not and we weren't taken on any toll roads!

Overall the hotel is extremely expensive for small rooms and although the location is good, the Park Central is let down by their unfriendly and inefficient team. This was our first trip to New York and we were extremely disappointed with this hotel. I would not recommend.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
PCH870, General Manager at Park Central Hotel New York, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Gail C,

Please accept my sincerest apology the challenges you experienced during your stay with us. We strive to create an environment where our guests can honestly state they received unparalleled service and to see we failed to meet both of our expectations is extremely troubling.

Please be assured we have shared your feedback with our Staff, and these issues will be immediately addressed with the individual Team Members.

Friendswood, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

A friend recommended Park Central hotel and we were not disappointed. We booked the hotel through their registration desk well in advance and asked for a discount if we paid for our rooms in advance. They agreed. We stayed in a room with two queen beds and were surprised (but delighted) to find there was a wall between the two beds...almost like a two bedroom suite. My friend and I do not go to sleep at the same time, so we were able to have privacy.
The location of Park Central is perfect. It is a few blocks from Central Park, Times Square, 5th Avenue shopping, and Rockefeller Center. There is an entrance to the subway right outside the doors and three great deli's directly across the street. Carnegie Deli is right next to the hotel.
I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Terri S
Dear Terri S,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate and value all of our guest’s feedback, and are delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Park Central soon.