“A gem in Times Square” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #61 of 467 Hotels in New York City
MIAMI
“A gem in Times Square”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

Having lived in NYC for 6 years I would hardly have expected myself to stay near or even "in" Times Square. That being said, I stayed 5 nights at the Sanctuary in NYC and from the greeting to the checkout I was thoroughly impressed and comfortable. This 100 room gem boasts comfortable beds, well thoughout and efficient use of space, quiet room with tasteful touches. So my three criteria for success are comfortable, good location and service. This place has all three and in the area of service, they excel. The staff was extremely personable. Mr. Jacob Schwartz - the "S.T.A.R" concierge was sincere and able and very caring. Rudy, behind the bar, is a trip. Funny and makes a good drink, produced good wine choices and is a classic New Yorker from Brooklyn - with a good heart. The new girl at the front desk (i think Lauren) was always following up to make sure our requests were fulfilled. When I need to go to NYC I would consider this place high on my list - even though I love to spend my time in soho or central park - the train is on the corner and you are centrallly located.

1 Thank momoches
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I am glad to know that we met your 3 criteria of comfort, location and service. Whenever guests provide us with such great feedback, it is a great accomplishment.

Jacob, Rudy and our new lovely addition Lauren, will be very happy to read about your comments.

We hope to have you back with us soon.

Jeremy Poon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (767)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Värnamo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in!! What a staff! The help and service that we got was awsome! We got married in NYC during our stay and they assisted us with flowers, cars and eveything else we asked for. Very clean, cool interiors, nice breakfast and GREAT location.

2 Thank Malin B
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words.

We are so happy that you had such a memorable experience here in NYC and at the Sanctuary Hotel. We want to congratulate you once again on your special occasion!

The staff would like to wish you plenty of happiness and we all hope to see you back at the Sanctuary soon.

Warmest Regards,

Lebanon, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

I recently spent one night with my wife at the Sanctuary Hotel, celebrating our wedding anniversary. We found it to be very comfortable, clean, private and convenient. The location is great and the friendly staff made our brief visit very enjoyable. They also serve an excellent complimentary breakfast. We look forward to many more visits to the Sanctuary. I wouuld highly recommend this hotel to friends.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 6th floor and found the room and location (facing 47th St) to be perfect.
2 Thank ChiefRQ
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Thank you for choosing the Sanctuary Hotel as the place to celebrate your wedding anniversary.

We are happy to know that you and your wife enjoyed your time with us.

Unfortunately, you were only able to spend 1 night with us. We hope to see you again soon, so that you can experience even more of what the Sanctuary Hotel has to offer.

Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

In NYC, it's hard to come across a true upscale "boutique" hotel...especially in the heart of Times Square. This hotel is situated just off of Times Square...close enough to walk to EVERYTHING, but on a quieter part of the street.

The chic decor and swanky jazz music that plays throughout will calm and soothe you as you enter from a long day of the New York bustle. The rooms are a good size (especially by NYC standards), and it's nice to come "home" to such a comfy bed, great bathroom products, and a gorgeous lobby/bar area complete with fireplaces, Marilyn Monroe movies on loop, and an attentive staff that caters to your every need.

We especially enjoyed hanging out by the bar for some pre-dinner drinks. Rudy, the bartender, makes an awesome white russian, and is so friendly. We also enjoyed Freddy, the concierge diva, who greeted us by name each time we entered the hotel. Service was an A+!

The only qualm was the fact that our TV was not working in the room...they were having a problem with the cable all weekend, which definitely needs to be fixed asap.

I travel to NYC often for work and will definitely return!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chash19
We appreciate the fantastic feedback!

Rudy and Freddie will be delighted to read about your comments. The staff work very hard in providing the best service possible. Thank you for giving the staff an "A+".

Should your travels bring you back to NYC, please think of the Sanctuary Hotel.

Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

We spent a weekend in NYC to celebrate my niece's 16th birthday. We couldn't have been happier with our choice of Sanctuary Hotel. From the moment we entered the lobby we were impressed with the peaceful enviroment. And the staff could not have been more helpful. Special thanks to Jacob for arranging two wonderful dinners for us! My niece recieved a lovely plate of goodies and a card signed by the staff. She was thrilled. We loved our king deluxe on the 6th floor - perfection! The rainhead shower was so nice; plenty of hot water and good water pressure. A problem with cable TV was the only small hiccup of the weekend. The unique combination of location, style and superb staff makes Sanctuary our NYC hotel of choice for all our future visits.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Susan G
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

Jacob will be pleased to know that you were happy with the services that he provided for you. Its comments such as yours, that motivate the staff to do even better.

We hope to see you again soon.

New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

I stayed here for one night when my husband and I went to New York for a Broadway show. Loved every minute here! We checked in early and our room was ready. We were also told we were given an upgrade. Very nice to hear. The decor, the staff, the room, everything was perfect or near so. I was particularly impressed with the design of the room and their use of space. The shower and double sinks were part of the room, yet you could have some privacy when the curtain was pulled. Very comfortable, very New York. We have already booked a room for next year and are considering a trip much sooner. What a great find!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PKNSW16
I'm so glad that we were able to provide you with such an enjoyable stay.

Knowing that you already have plans to come back, puts a smile on all our faces. At the Sanctuary Hotel, our goal is to always provide our guests with a memorable and unique experience. I'm happy that we were able to accomplish this with you.

Owings Mills, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Sanctuary is a lovely little jewel box of a hotel. Fabulous location walking distance to Times Square, Radio City Music Hall, and surrounding areas. At check in you walk into a very dim, romantic lobby and bar area. All staff members I encountered were very friendly and helpful. The internet and TV were both out when we checked in so they offered us a $10 credit toward on demand movies. (Our on demand was out too, we didn't really care because we were out late but it would have been nice to use the credit. Instead they promised us a deluxe room upgrade on our next visit.) The lobby is really dim and so are the stairs (there are elevators but we were just on the 2nd floor.) I would take my mom there or my kids there, for instance, but I would recommend it to 20-40 something couples or singles.

We had a deluxe room on the second floor so view isn't amazing down there but that wasn't one of my criteria so I didn't mind although it was quite noisy that close to street level. They are in process of building out a restaurant also and we were above and to the right of that, some of the noise was from there, I believe, as men were still working at 1130p.

The room is really nicely done for a small space. There are chandeliers, dark colors, tile that look like pebble grained leather, blackout curtains that really worked, shower in the main room but it has a curtain if you were just with a friend, etc.. Only things I would change if I had a magic wand are that the bed was too soft for me even though I really like soft beds and there is a double sink; I would prefer one sink and some counter space. Also would add some more lights near the vanity, pretty tough to put makeup on in this very dim space.

Happy hour is 5-7p with a limited food menu and lots of specialty drinks. I have no idea what was on special because the waiter didn't say but we were just having simple drinks so no big deal. When we left for dinner, 2 of the employees had no clue which direction to point you to go anywhere (new, maybe?) but they grabbed someone else, a blonde gentleman, who was incredibly knowledgeable and helpful.

Also, there is a free continental breakfast is served in the morning, 7-10ish. Skipped breakfast because it was ridiculously hot in the serving room for no apparent reason, like 85 degrees. Very strange. Staff offered to keep our bags for us when we checked out in case we were staying in the city for a while. Didn't need that but it was nice that they thought of offering.

Room Tip: get a deluxe room, we were in one and it was small so I can't imagine a standard size
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review about us.

We apologize for the TV service interruptions that you experienced. Unfortunately, this was something that was not in our control. To rectify the situation, we are not going with a completely new service provider that will provide us with even more HD channels and more of the latest new movies.

In regards to your comment about the front desk staff, we do have quite a few new additions. They are in the process of training and learning about our commitment to the high standards of service we provide. I'm happy to know that Brandon (who is one of our S.T.A.R. Experience Managers) was able to assist you and offer you great suggestions.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your experience with us and hope to see you and your family back soon.