“My vote for "best hotel in the world"” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sanctuary Hotel New York

Sanctuary Hotel New York
Ranked #61 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“My vote for "best hotel in the world"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

We booked at Sanctuary after reading the glowing reviews on TripAdvisor and cannot put into words how happy we are that we did...but let me give it a shot.

We were booked at Sanctuary in New York for three weeks in three rooms for myself and my husband (Superior King Room), My 67 year old mother (Superior Queen Room), and my parents in Law (the "Sweet"). We were all in New York to celebrate my 30th Birthday (on Memorial Day) and as we were the largest party for the longest stay Sanctuary has had in it's small but stellar history so far, we feel it appropriate to give a complete an honest review here on TripAdvisor.

Our experience began well before we checked in...given there were 5 of us who all wanted different things from our holiday we were in constant email correspondence with the remarkable Jacob Schwartz (Head of Concierge). Jacob was amazing, we mentioned we were "foodies" and gave a list to Jacob of the restaurants we wanted to visit....we are so glad that Jacob threw out our list and instead gave us his "improved" list. We were delighted, every mouthful in every restaurant he sent us to was the most delicious thing we had ever tasted......I'm telling you, DON'T book a restaurant in NYC without consulting this man first, he knows his stuff. Not only was Jacob warm and friendly, precise and accurate (a godsend when you are not familiar with the currency, custom's, etc), but also he does his job SO well that I want him to quit tomorrow, move to Australia, and come and work for me in my furniture store. I'm not joking.

We also wanted to see/do lots of different New York things i.e. Mum wanted to go to the United Nations, we wanted to do a Helicopter ride, my parents in law wanted to see the Naked Cowboy, etc, etc...Jacob made it ALL happen, we also did it without lines/queue's and were treated like royalty everywhere we went. Unbeknownst to me Jacob had told every restaurant he booked that it was my 30th birthday and were given birthday cake/free drinks/special attention everywhere!

Now here is were I want to introduce Jacob's "right hand man"....the equally as stellar Brandon McMillan. Now girls, I'm just telling you know, Brandon is the most gorgeous specimen I've ever seen, at first I found it hard to talk to him because he's just so good looking, but after I got over that I realized that Brandon is just as amazing as Jacob, he went to great lengths to make us welcome. Things like running down to 6th in the pouring rain to bring a cab to the front door of the hotel for us, helping my mum to get a cake from Magnolia Bakery and candles ready for when I came downstairs on my birthday (side note here that all the staff gathered to sing "Happy Birthday" to me and give me a big hug...never felt so special in my life), and organizing THAT night in Astoria....what happens in Astoria stays in Astoria so I'm sorry I can't elaborate.

So now that I've gushed about my two favorite men at Sanctuary let me give you the lowdown on staying there:

Superior King Room - I'll review this room only as this was the one myself and my husband were staying in (I'll leave the others to post their own reviews). The room was small but not as small as some of the reviews here had led me to believe. The bed was very comfortable, the shower is fabulous, and there was heaps of room for us, two suitcases each, and the furniture. The only downside is that the airconditioning is quite loud - too loud to sleep with it on, so we just opened the window during the night to allow a breeze through. As there is no view (the window faces a wall) it's completely quiet and the lack of sunshine allows for a cool breeze. We turned the television on about 15 days into the trip for the first time, there aren't many stations but if your in NYC, staying at Sanctuary, and want to watch TV then there is something very wrong with you.

The Hotel Location/Amenities - Location cannot be beaten...5 doors from the TKTS booth in Times Square, right near two subway stations, tucked away in a quiet street opposite a carpark so not much through traffic. It will be great when the restaurant is done, that was the only thing really missing from the hotel. The free Wi-Fi is great, it's not fast, but good enough for doing status updates and sending emails.The breakfast is fine, not exciting but good for grabbing a quick bagel with your cappuccino before heading out for the day. The housekeeping is quick, go down for a coffee and you'll probably have a made up room by the time you get back! There is no gym/pool/etc but I believe they have an agreement with a local place (we didn't check that out). The decor is great, I really liked the low lighting, asian/contemporary decor, it really felt upper class and exactly as the name suggests..like a "Sanctuary" whenever you got home.

The "Haven" rooftop bar - COMPLETELY AMAZING! OK this place opened about 3 weeks before we arrived (winning!), there are still a few teething problems with making cocktails and wait time for food when it's packed, but I am still rating this place in my top 3 bars in the world. Picture great views, fabulous decor, and the staff....particularly the gorgeous Dyana (server) and Mike (who works the door bringing people up to Haven...please forgive me if I got that name wrong), every time we went upstairs to Haven they had a special spot for us ready and treated all the "Miller's" especially "Princess Caroline" like royalty. We spent a lot of time at Haven and it was fabulous.

The Hotel Staff - As others have mentioned the doormen/reception staff were examples of the best in the world. All 5 of us have traveled extensively and we are amazed how Sanctuary has managed to find the best of the best in every area of the business. I can't remember everyone's names but I want to make particular mention of Julio on the door, the two GORGEOUS girls at reception, Jimmy with his hilarious "British" attitude, Vassilio who does the night shift (hope you enjoyed the McFlurry, sorry we don't remember arriving back with it!), The gorgeous girl on the Spresso bar (she makes a mean coffee...yes other Melbourites you won't be dissapointed).

We booked directly with the hotel, this meant that when we wanted to extend mum's stay and reduce our stay by two nights (for an unscheduled trip to DC) Jeremy could not have been more obliging and made it all happen with no stress.

So as you can gather from this review, I've sort of turned it into a "Thank you" rather than a normal review but it sums up what the Sanctuary is all about. After 3 weeks I realized that they actually do genuinely care about their guests and how much they enjoyed their trip. I think most of the staff tend to take their cue's from Jacob and Brandon, I'm not sure if the place would be the same if those two weren't there setting the example for the other staff. So it's an 'out of the ordinary' review for me but that was our experience and I'm glad to share it..all I can say is book here, have an open mind, and enjoy the best NYC has to offer.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank SezzieM
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
It was absolutely a sincere pleasure to have you and your entire family here with us at the Sanctuary Hotel.

I can't honestly remember a time where we had so much fun with guests while working. You certainly made our jobs very rewarding in the sense that the staff felt such a sense of accomplishment and appreciation. It motivated them to go above and beyond even more than normal.

We'd like to thank you for writing such a thorough and thoughtful review of your experience here. Just remember that you will always have your home away from home at the Sanctuary Hotel and we certainly look forward to your next visit.

Jeremy Poon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (767)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

Excellent place, almost brand new, great staff and good location. Rooms a bit small but take it for granted you will have a nice stay if you do not have a lot of stuff to place in.
Congrat to the manager, your people are great.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BuenosAiresRitaT
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Our goal is to always create a unique and memorable experience and I'm glad that we were able to exceed your expectations.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

I just returned from a week's stay at the new Sanctuary Hotel, in New York City! In a word, all I can say is WOW! From the moment I walked through the doors to the newest, hippest, cleanest, and coolest hotel in New York City, things were perfect. Where do I start, the Bose Surround sound in BOTH the bedroom and living room? (I had a Suite, Sweet!) The 2 flat screen TV's, the high end remote lighting/dimming system throughout the suite, the Toto "Washlet" toilet seat, all made for a pleasant and relaxing (is that possible in NYC?) vacation!

The STAFF, from the housekeeping dept. all the way up to Jeremy the manager, went out of their way to make ME feel like they liked their job of "people"! Jacob, Juan, Jimmy (do they only hire folks at the desk with a "J" in their names?) and Lauren, Kimberly and everyone else at the front desk seemed knowledgeable, pleasant and happy to assist in everything from restaurant suggestions, to....(of course) where to do my own laundry! (yes, I do!) whilst on vacation.

The lobby is trendy without being pretentious. The bar is subtle without being overpowering.
The morning Continental breakfast is perfect and all you need before a day of walking, shopping, seeing Broadway shows, riding the subways and the myriad of other "New York" things. Speaking of which, the TKTS booth is 1/2 block away, should you need half price same day Broadway show tickets!

Though the Sanctuary Hotel is just a YEAR old, they have seemed to capture ALL that is necessary for a real "sanctuary" in the busiest city in the USA. Cudos to ALL of the staff!
I'll be back!

Thank you for being a "Sanctuary" to me and my daughter for our week long Dad/daughter New York City vacation!

RR in Texas.

1 Thank RandyRTexas
It was a great pleasure having you and your daughter here with us and I'm happy to know that you enjoyed our "Sweet" (suite).

The staff will be delighted to read your review. We pride ourselves in offering the best services possible and feedback like yours, puts a smile on all our faces.

We hope to have you back soon and will always welcome you and Riley back to your home away from home.

Warm Regards,

Burlington, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012 via mobile

I have called Sanctuary Hotel home in Manhatran more than once and I have never have any regrets. The warmth and friendliness of the staff, the ambiance, the location and cleanliness of my home in Manhattan is amazing.

Although I had a little issue on this stay, they were very prompt to fix the issue with a big smile. Things happen out of anyone's control. Nobody is perfect. But the way they addressed the issue was amazing!

Once again, I call Sanctuary Hotel is my Home in Manhattan.

• Stayed June 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for giving us feedback in regards to your stay at the Sanctuary Hotel.

I'm happy to know that you enjoyed the hotel and its services. I would like to apologize for issue you had and am glad that we were able to fix it in a prompt manner.

We hope that your next visit with us, will be flawless.

Horsham West Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

This hotel is an absolute gem. Literally a hop, skip and a jump off Times Square - the location could not be more perfect.

The hotel is calm and welcoming with very friendly staff. Our room was small but modern and comfortable. Breakfast was fine too. We had a drink in the Haven on the top floor too and that was a lovely outdoor area.

Just a word to UK travellers - I suggest booking direct with the hotel as I booked through a UK hotels broker and paid over the odds :(.

1 Thank WilliamPenn
We appreciate the feedback and thank you for posting your review of us.

I'm glad that you had the opportunity to experience our rooftop lounge "Haven".

We always encourage our guests to book directly with the hotel, due to the fact that we offer the lowest rates.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

Very good hotel with a very, very friendly staff that makes you few like home. Very good location, a few steps from Time Square. The breakfast is included but could be better.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback.

I am happy to know that you enjoyed your time with us. We are always looking to improve our complimentary breakfast for our guests, so your feedback is important.

We look forward to having you back.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012 via mobile

I agree with most of what has been commented here. The hotel is well named. Leaving the insanity of Times Square you enter a cool, under-lit lobby and are welcomed by a friendly, helpful staff. The common areas are spotless and nicely appointed. Cool jazz plays in the background. The rooftop bar, open 4-1, is comfy and relaxed.

The only thing preventing five stars is the extreme smallness of the standard room, not unusual in Manhattan. The space is cleverly set out, but spending much time here, especially for two, gets claustraphobic. But overall a very nice place in a terrific location.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Thank you for your feedback.

I'm happy to know that you had a chance to experience "Haven" our new rooftop lounge. The next time you come back to NYC, we would love for you to try our deluxe rooms. I believe that with the additional space and upgraded amenities, it would be more suitable to your needs.

We hope to have you back soon.