Sanctuary Hotel New York
US$503
US$365
SmithHotels.com
  • Restaurant
Grand Hyatt New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$295
  • Restaurant
Room Mate Grace(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$215
US$195
  • Pool
The Westin New York at Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$335
US$274
  • Restaurant
Kimpton Muse Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$321
US$284
  • Restaurant
Hilton Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$257
US$218
  • Room Service
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$313
US$228
  • Restaurant
Row NYC Hotel(New York City)
US$220
US$190
Travelocity
  • Bar/Lounge
Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$492
US$276
Hotels.com
  • Bar/Lounge
US$187
US$157
  • Room Service
4,207 results
All reviewsrooftop barhaven rooftoptimes squarenew yorkcontinental breakfastrooms are smallbagelsdoor staffcupcakesour honeymoonbrick wallperfect locationconcierge servicerockefeller centerfantastic hotelbig applearound the corner
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 September 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Sanctuary for our 10 year wedding anniversary - our first trip to New York. A bottle of proscecco in our room was a lovely touch to mark our special occasion. The whole trip was amazing - overwhelming really! NYC really is the city that never sleeps, always something to do or see, however, for the short amounts of rest and sleep we did allow ourselves, the sanctuary more than lived up to its name. Breakfast was great, more than enough to fill you up for sightseeing! The room was clean, thoughtfully decorated and spacious enough. The shower was good - huge! The bed - outstanding! We both keep reminiscing about how comfy the pillows were at the sanctuary! All the staff were friendly, polite and professional - eager to help, but equally left us to our own devices appropriately. Only tiny wish list - tea/coffee facilities in the room! As a true Brit, I can't bear to be more than a few feet from a tea bag and kettle... Luckily Starbucks was within a 5 minute stroll! Highly recommend sanctuary as a fab hotel for a trip to NYC.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Just returned from a weekend at the Sanctuary. Due to late planning and the convergence of the US Open and Fashion Week, my usual places were either sold out or i was priced out, so took a flyer on the Sanctuary based on reviews here.

Pros:
- Close to Times Square

Cons:

- My room was tiny - literally no room to walk between the bed and the wall. Laying on the bed i could touch the shower door with my hand. Manhattan hotels are known for their size efficiency - this is a joke. There was no place in the room beside the bed that i could lay down my suitcase - seriously. This room would feel small on a submarine or in a prison.

- My room had only one window, which was behind the TV, and opaque because (i think) it faced another window in the hotel. Continuing the prison theme.

- The hotel decor is dark. Sort of like they went for cool and gotic and ended up looking like a brothel.

- They have a system where the power in your room turns off when you leave - it has to be triggered on by a room key. I don't mind the nod to environmental sustainability, but did mind coming into a hot room in August because the AC was off.

I complained to the front desk about my room and was offered an upgrade for $60 (against the $400 a night I was already paying). Not so politley passed, and noted not to return. Highly advise looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank NorCal8
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

I‘d like to apologize that your recent visit at our unique hotel did not meet your expectations. We make every effort to provide a memorable experience for everyone and it saddens me that we were not able to do that with you.

We pride ourselves in being an authentic Manhattan lifestyle boutique hotel, with European inspired hospitality. As you see from our reviews, guests appreciate that we simply strive to provide them with intimate, genuine and personalized service, creating a "home away from home" atmosphere. We wish that the Sanctuary Hotel could be the ideal choice for everyone. However, we understand that different guests have different needs, and that is why we put so much emphasis on creating an experience that is tailored to each individual.

Our rooms are designed with the intent of maximizing use of space and most important…comfort. A warm palette of deep orange, chocolate brown and cognac, highlight our rooms, along with over-sized headboards and plush pillow-top mattresses that complement the luxurious sheets, duvets and terry. Our shower design is something that guests rave about, along with the rainfall shower-head that simply needs to be experienced.

I would also like to point out to our readers, that the energy management system (Evolve) you speak of, is one of our ways of contributing back to mother earth. However, the guests have the option to utilize the system or simply leave their card in the system to keep the continuous desired temperature. We provide complimentary breakfast, complimentary Wi-Fi and complimentary passes to “Equinox” gym, so we are constantly thinking of ways to add value for our guests. Additionally, we have eco-friendly biodegradable bath amenities, as well as a water conservation program (for our linens) that we implemented to give guests the option of contributing to saving water.

We feel very strongly about the authenticity of our product, and the genuine care that we provide for our guests, so I am especially concerned that you felt that our staff lacked empathy. Additionally, our bagels and pastries are delivered to us fresh every morning and wouldn't settle for anything less that would not reflect the high standards that we set forth. I’d like to thank you for the suggestions that you made in regards to our breakfast area, and will use it as a tool to better the services for our guests.

Our fireplace-adorned lobby and lounge has no intentions of being a brothel, rather a discrete retreat away from the hustle and bustle of the city that embodies the Sanctuary Hotel name. The ambiance we create is both inviting and warm, not to mention that many of our guests feel that being literally steps away from Times Square is a luxury in itself.

Guest feedback is always important to us. Being well received, and with so many compliments from our past reviewers, I believe that we are heading in the right direction and will continue to improve upon the services that are provided.

We feel very strongly about the authenticity of our product, and the genuine care that we provide for our guests. Whether it’s the design or the service...it will always be with our “guests" in mind.

Best Regards,

Jeremy Poon

Reviewed 10 September 2012

I stayed in a twin room (two double beds) with my mam and sister, it was perfect. The beds are really comfortable. Location is excellent as it is very central.

Complimentary continental breakfast was lovely, we had it each morning.

Hotel staff are great, very friendly and helpful. I have to say that STAR service was great, we dealt with Jacob and nothing was too much, really friendly and helpful. Food recommendations and information on tours, shows etc.

If I was back in NY I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank CheekyDublin
Reviewed 9 September 2012

We booked the Sanctuary largely based on reviews on here. I always like to look for hotels that are a little different and have to say I can be swayed by decor and styling.

I consistently read great reviews in the weeks leading up to our stay and I'm pleased to say I'm here to add to them! The front desk staff really are as wonderful as the reviews make out - we didn't walk past once without someone wishing us a nice time or asking how we were. When we'd asked one of the guys for advice, he always remembered and asked us how we'd got on.

The hotel is dark inside and the styling is such that I wouldn't really recommend it as a family hotel - it's more suited to couples.

The rooms were spotless, we had a regular room and - although there wasn't loads of space - this was ample for our five-night stay. How long do you actually spend in the room anyway? You're in NYC! The only negative points I would say are the wardrobe space is limited, mind yourself on the corners of the bed (we both left with a couple of bruises!) and our view was non-existent (dark brick wall) - but I imagine if you had a larger room, you'd get a view.

Location - perfect, literally half a block to the subway, or half a block to Times Square - you couldn't ask for better!

Breakfast - we mixed it up and ate out some mornings but when we had the breakfast, the cereal, bagels, pastries, fruit, juices & hot drinks was enough to keep us going til lunchtime!

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Sanctuary to other like-minded couples - a brilliant experience!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank theonlychilduk
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Wonderful experience at the Sanctuary Hotel. My friend and I could have not been more please by our experience with every aspect of the hotel (service, room, bar, etc.) I will stay here again the next time I'm in NY. Loved it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple