“Fabulous location, friendly staff and comfy rooms!”

Sanctuary Hotel New York
Ranked #71 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 16 February 2013 via mobile

Day two of a week trip to ny! We r foodies and picked the best hotel. Location really is close to everything! We r from Houston tx and never walk to get anywhere, always drive. We have walked everywhere.
Service, staff is great concierge really knows where to go.
Also rooftop bar restaurant Is enclosed for the cold months cozy atmosphere and tasty drinks, called Haven.
Sure rest of stay will be just as fabulous!

Reviewed 15 February 2013

The Sanctuary was a great hotel to stay in, a red, warm ambience and chic décor offered an inviting haven to us especially as it was so freakin' cold outside!
All the staff from the guys at the door to reception and the handyman were friendly and very helpful, special mention to Jacob the concierge who gave us a couple of good tips re our jaunts out and about.
The hotel is just a cough away from the hullalaboo of Times Square but the street is strangely quiet as another reviewer pointed out.
After a day traipsing about NYC, it is a real sanctuary,
Very comfy bed, a few folk referring to small rooms in other reviews but we didn't think they were that tiny and they were ample size to do a warm up before you went into that biting cold every day!
Would definitely stay there again.
Stayed as a couple in a superior Queen room.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

We truly appreciate when guests provide us with such wonderful feedback. The staff will be delighted to read about your comments.

We hope to have you back with us soon.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

Everything was incredible, the service, the decor, the vibe... From the time we walked through the door everyone couldn't have been more attentive to our stay. We got into the city early, as snowstorm nemo was heading into town as well, they held our bags for us and have us a call as soon as our room was ready... Unbeknownst to me, my husband had been in touch with the STAR manager setting up some wonderful romantic details completely tailored to our liking and budget... As luck would have it , we couldn't leave the next day because of the massive snowstorm and we were not only able to stay, they also made sure we weren't worried an afforded us every opportunity to be able to get home if we could. When we ultimately decided on staying another night, anything we wanted or needed was available for us.
I've never felt so at home and so spoiled especially in NYC and in a hotel--- we weren't "just a room # " we were guests that were made to feel like we were the only ones there. I'd highly recommended this hotel and their staff as the best -- and look forward to booking again. I wouldn't waste any time or $ elsewhere... This was perfect.

1  Thank Kelly D
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2013

I am glad that your experience at the Sanctuary Hotel was such a memorable one.

Our S.T.A.R. (Service Tailored to Any Requests) team always make the extra effort to go beyond expectations and we are delighted to know that we were able to do that for you.

Knowing that you never felt more at home brings smiles to all our faces. We hope to have you back with us soon.

Reviewed 12 February 2013

Everything about Sanctuary Hotel was peeeerfect. Every single staff member was genuinely friendly, helpful and courteous. Interior and exterior of hotel both equally gorgeous (love the purple outdoor spotlights and lovely gas fireplaces!). Rooms were clean, tasteful and so creative with use of space...not to mention very quiet! Location also perfect....so close to Times Square, Restaurant Row, theaters....everything! It most definitely shows that this is an intimate family owned hotel...keep up the excellent job! Can't wait to revisit :)

Room Tip: Room 307 is on the end of the hall...so no neighbors on one side and slightly larger. Also towards...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Swells320
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I've now stayed at this hotel twice, and both times were pleasant. Boutique hotel with a fun atmosphere. Nice touch that buffet breakfast and wifi in the room are included at no extra charge. The intimate lobby restaurant hosted a Grammy themed party when I was there, complete with extra large screen tv's for viewing as well as free popcorn.

Reviewed 11 February 2013

From time to time, I have to stay in Times Square (my least favorite neighborhood in New York) for business reasons. Thankfully, over the past two years, I've been able to escape to the Sanctuary at the end of the day. The hotel honestly lives up to its name and mission. Although between 6th and 7th, the block is oddly quiet, and once through the front doors, Times Square seems a long way away.

With three stays so far, I can confirm other reviewers' praise of the staff (they really are friendly) and the ambience (it really is cool--particularly the gas fireplaces in the lobby area). Yes, the rooms are small; most recently, our travel agent mistakenly booked me into a superior queen and it was, indeed, all bed. But still impeccably clean and well decorated. Yes, the glass shower open floor plan should be taken into account if you're not traveling solo. I like it myself, because I can watch tv from the shower (and, to be fair, there are curtains that can be pulled around the outside for privacy concerns if you're with someone). And yes, the continental breakfast is somewhat spartan but perfectly adequate.

With the opening of Haven, the rooftop bar/restaurant, there's yet another reason to stay at Sanctuary. It was lovely when I was there in warm weather, and it was equally fun in the winter. The heaters and the tenting were effective enough even on the night before a blizzard. The views are great and the wait staff seem to be partying along with the crowd.

At the risk of sounding like a Grumpy Old Traveler, I will level one criticism--you need top sheets on the beds. I get the whole replace-bed-covers-with-a-single-duvet concept from a hygiene and ease of cleaning perspective. But it means that you're either going to be too cold or too hot throughout the night. Removing a top sheet from the equation only exacerbates that issue.

In short, Sanctuary is my go-to hotel if I need to be in or around Times Square. Great staff. Great decor. Great overall ambience. Maybe I don't get the most temperate sleep there, but that won't stop me from going back.

Room Tip: Wise to be away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2013

We are sincerely happy to have you as a repeat guest. Our goal, is to provide each guest with a unique experience where services and interactions are warmly rendered, creating a "home away from home" atmosphere.

I'm happy to know that you had the opportunity to experience Haven during the summer and winter times.

We would love for you to continue to be our valued guest and hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 11 February 2013

I booked the sanctuary hotel based on a reasonable but reassuringly expensive price, and the good rating on tripadvisor which I often use to size up hotels I am looking to book. The pictures on the website looked very nice and the reviews seemed good but these did not do the place justice whatsoever.

I emailed one of the concierges Jacob before my holiday to inform him I was booking for a holiday intending to propose to my then girlfriend, and he was immediately quickly responding with answers to my questions, suggestions when asked and even upgraded the room when asked to the larger size with a view (with a substantial discount!). I was already amazed with the efficiency and help I had received before I even arrived.

On arrival the door staff greeted us as if they had been waiting all day for us, helped us with bags and the hotel from the outside was impressive to say the least. Beautifully kept, stunning building and the location was second to none. 30 seconds walk into times square. Absolutely unbelievable.

The room was simply amazing. Beautiful large bed, lovely shower and intricately cleaned. Breakfast every morning was simple yet filling and tasty. Cereal, boiled eggs, fruit, bagels, toast and cakes. If there was a full kitchen serving omlettes made to order that would have been the icing on the cake (!) but what there was available was perfectly presented. Even the coffee tasted of excellent quality.

Although the hotel, facilities, room and location were excellent, the biggest positive comment for this hotel was the staff. From the door staff, to the cleaners everyone was happy, polite, only too happy to help. In particular Brandon McMillen provided us with so much help over that week, secretly helping me plan limosines, restaurants and the proposal day. And to top it all off, after I (successfully!) proposed to my now fiancee, we found a bottle of champagne in the limo which he put in free of charge. If that wasn't enough, he had asked the limo driver to take us on an hour tour going over Brooklyn Bridge where I had earlier proposed. And to top it off, Brandon called ahead to the restaurant to inform them of our news - complimentary champagne, starters and puddings followed - fiancee reduced to tears and overwhelmed.

I would recommend this hotel above anywhere else. I have traveled round the world and visited many countries, and this was by far the best experience I have ever had anywhere I have stayed, and Brandon in particular was the most helpful staff member I have ever met.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple