“Perfection”

Sanctuary Hotel New York
Ranked #75 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Perfection”
Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

Myself and my wife stayed here for our 10th anniversary last weekend. I emailed in advance to arrange flowers and champagne and was upgraded to a deluxe king room for our special occasion. I thought that was a really nice touch but that was only the beginning of what was the best weekend away we have ever experienced. Jeremy, Jacob and Brandon were so helpful, knowledgable and all round nice guys that help us with anything we wanted to do. The hotel just has the feeling of pure relaxation with a twist of cool and funky. Every member of staff knew it was out anniversary and made the effort to congratulate us. I'm still smiling a week on and we WILL be back to visit everyone at the sanctuary very very soon. Thank you everyone so much for an amazing weekend with you all. Mr & Mrs Evans

• Stayed February 2013
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
We are delighted to know that you and your wife enjoyed your 10 year anniversary celebration at the Sanctuary Hotel.

it was our pleasure to have had the opportunity to make things special for the both of you. Our goal is to always create a unique and memorable experience for everyone.

We would love to have you back with us soon, that you can experience even more of what we have to offer.

Jeremy Poon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (781)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 1 March 2013

My daughter and I stayed in a deluxe queen room on the second floor for a two-night visit. We would definitely choose to stay here again. Excellent, safe location very close to 5th Ave shopping, theaters, Rock Center, etc. Linens and bed very comfortable. Attractive, modern bathroom. Consistently friendly and helpful staff. Complimentary continental breakfast is a plus. We were very happy with our choice.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RSAR4
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I'm glad to hear that you and your daughter enjoyed your recent visit. Knowing that you felt that the Sanctuary Hotel was the right choice, brings smiles to all our faces.

We would love to have you back for another visit in the near future.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 1 March 2013

I used to walk by this hotel on my way to/from Times Square. It was the Portland Hotel then, I thought it had a nice facade, but I was a bit afraid to go in, as it wasn't in the best of neighborhoods.
What a change! The hotel, while small, is excellently apppointed with great and helpful staff. Our room was a "Superior Queen" which doesn't say much because there isn't anything less than that. It was well priced though, and while small, bordering on tiny, it had plenty of room and was beautifully decorated. The linens were quite nice and, if requested, changed daily. Some, like me occassionally prefer to be non-conservationist while on vacation.
If you like midtown and the theatre district, this is the place for you. It is convenient to all subway and bus lines if you want to go somewhere else, and avoid taxi fares.
I would look at the size of the different rooms, and make sure, if you are a bit claustrophobic, that you will be satisfied with the smallest, if you are looking for price.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review.

We always appreciate when guests of ours take the time to provide us with such wonderful feedback. I'm sincerely glad that you enjoyed your time with us.

I would love for you to come back and try our deluxe rooms. With the additional space and upgraded amenities, I believe that it would make your stay even more enjoyable. For reservations, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I can be reached at jeremy@sanctuaryhotelnyc.com.

United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2013

This is a great little boutique hotel literally seconds from time square and close to the shops on 5th which was exactly what I was looking for for this trip. Travelling with my Mum for her birthday and we were greeted with mini cupcakes and a signed birthday card from all the staff this was such a nice touch. Throughout the stay the staff were very friendly.
We had a great room and it was by no means small by NYC standards it had 2 very comfy Queen size beds in, an average size bathroom for NYC and just about enough room for all of our luggage and shopping with room to walk around it too.
Typically with an NYC stay we were hardly in the room and this room was way beyond adequate.
The bar on the roof was nice for sundowners or a quick cocktail and is an great plus point of the hotel.
Breakfast is basic but serves a purpose.

I highly recommend this hotel as a central, well priced high quality option in NYC!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
New York
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Stayed here on a 3 day business gig where I was out of the room more than I was in it: perfect location, amazingly quiet, even in a room facing the street, great bed, pillows and blankets (no velux here or foam pillows, YAY!), truly aiming to serve their guests. Great breakfast and loved the free pass to Equinox...the best gym in NYC. Lovely appointments, especially black out shades!

I would request a few more things, starting at the front door: there are no banisters or railings...and if you are a bit limited in movement like I am, you like a bit more support. This can't be hard to do, and when I commented on this to the evening doorman, he just laughed.

And in the room: how hard is it to have a coffee maker? And if I were trying to work, the high desk and chair would not have worked for me, particularly because there are no outlets nearby. And lastly, the room is very "bed-centric", i.e: there is really no where else to sit except for on the bed. I was in a deluxe king; having a comfortable arm chair would have been great.

I would stay here again if I wanted a true retreat space, not a working space.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I'm glad that you were able to take advantage of some of our amenities such as complimentary passes to Equinox gym and breakfast. Knowing how much you enjoyed your time with us, brings smiles to all our faces.

We are always looking for ways to improve our product and services that we provide. I will certainly look into your suggestions.

We would love to have you back in the near future.

Leek
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Great location at Times square, found the hotel very dark, sometimes couldn't see the floor button on the lift! Room very compact although OK. There was no information about the hotel and its services which we thought was a bit odd, and - being English we were very disappointed in there being no tea or coffee making facilities! Hotel staff efficient and helpful - particularly one of the concierges.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nattyLeek
I‘d like to sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations. The staff put so much effort in providing our guests with a memorable experience and it saddens me that we were not able to do that with you.

We pride ourselves in being an authentic Manhattan lifestyle boutique hotel, with European inspired hospitality. As you see from our reviews, guests appreciate that we simply strive to provide them with intimate, genuine and personalized service, creating a "home away from home" atmosphere.

Our rooms are designed with the intent of maximizing use of space and most important…comfort. Should you ever decide to give us another opportunity in the future, I would suggest our Deluxe rooms. I feel that with the additional space and upgraded amenities, it would be a more suitable accommodation that you are looking for.

Additionally, the design of not having coffee machines in our rooms, is because we believe in "bringing service to our guests". At any time that guest would like coffee or tea, we will deliver a fresh cup to their room.

Rest assured, that i will certainly address my staff with the issues and concerns that you pointed out. I would love the opportunity to further discuss this matter with you and can be reached at jeremy@sanctuaryhotelnyc.com.

Reviewed 28 February 2013

I was nothing less than pleased. From the time I arrived I was greeted by smiling and pleasant staff. This includes the doorman, to front desk staff to concierge. I was very pleased with all the small personal touches (cupcakes, as we were celebrating our anniversary), the ambiance, the continental breakfast was a nice surprise ( it was fresh and continually being replenished), the bed and bedding was very comfortable, the gym experience was also amazing. I have stayed several places in NYC and I have to say I will definitely come back to Sanctuary. Please be sure to applaud all staff working on February 24th and 25th, 2013. They take pride in what they do. Thank you.

Warmest regards,