“The Sanctuary is a perfectly located, stylish and peaceful retreat!”

Sanctuary Hotel New York
Ranked #63 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Reading, Berkshire
“The Sanctuary is a perfectly located, stylish and peaceful retreat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

I stayed on my own here for 3 nights whilst visiting NYC for a friends wedding. First time in the city and was SO SO pleased that I chose to stay at this hotel.

LOCATION: It really was perfectly located for exploring all of the Manhattan tourist sites. Times Square 1min, The Rockefeller 7mins. Central Park 15mins Chrysler Building 15mins. Grand Central Terminal 15min. Even mid town and the downtown areas including the 9/11 memorial are walkable from here say just over an hour and if you don`t fancy walking that, the subway is 5mins round the corner. The road it`s in is very quiet and feels very safe too even after midnight. You name it and it`s near here including the Theatres, plenty of stores, bars and Irish pubs!

DESK/CONCIERGE;
Helpful at all times. Always had security in the foyer. Felt very well run and safe.

ROOM: The room I had was perfect for me size wise and I really liked the interior. I was on the 9th floor right underneath the Haven rooftop bar and by the main entrance to the bar and I had no noisy experiences at all. The bed and pillows were especially comfortable and of a decent quality, the two windows in my room had blackout blinds and that all combined to help me get 3 very good nights sleep! The decor was modern, clean and sharp. The iPod docking station, chandalier, air con, mini bar and free wi-fi were all nice touches. Must also too comment on the maids - excellent. My room was always attended to in the morning and the bed turned down in the evening but was never once disturbed by or even saw a maid - very discreet service.

BREAKFAST;
I only took this the first morning and didn`t bother the other two mornings. OK for a bit of orange juice, coffee, bagels and toast but that was about it. If you want lots of options for breakfast you are better off getting out to one of the variety of places nearby for a better selection and experience. Please don`t let this put you off as you`d miss out on the next bit.......

HAVEN ROOF TOP BAR:
Surely one of the most chilled and coolest places I have ever had refreshments. A great view and attentive staff. Residents mix with non residents and this helps create a really special atmosphere - it`s a bit of a gem.

Staying at such a convenient, well run and stylish hotel definitely enhanced my stay in NYC - thank you.

Room Tip: Just ask the hotel and I am sure they`ll help - I asked for a room with a view and I got one - which...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such a detailed review regarding your recent visit at The Sanctuary Hotel New York.

Our goal is to provide each and every guest with a unique and memorable stay. I'm happy to know that you enjoyed the discrete service of our housekeeping team. We pride ourselves in creating a discrete retreat away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

We would love to see you back with us in the near future and hope that every visit will be just as enjoyable.

Jeremy Poon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (768)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

I stayed here for 6 nights on a business trip. The rooms are small but that is normal for New York. They were super clean. Loved the sound of the church bells every morning. The staff was very friendly and super helpful. Loved the roof top bar. We hung out there every night for a night cap.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mwilliworks
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your 6 night stay with us at The Sanctuary Hotel New York.

We hope to see you back with us soon for another great visit.

Warkwickshire, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

My wife and I recently stayed 3 nights at the Sanctuary. Firstly the hotel is fantastically located, it has a stylish, slightly mysterious aura which was cool, the staff are awesome and can't do enough to help with service and recommendations. The room was small but adequate, the bed amazingly comfortable, the only but is the ensuite bathroom facility. We coped but it's inadequate for a comfortable stay...no issue for 1, but with my wife needing to use the sink/mirror/vanity (all one space) it was limited. The bathroom really is ensuite...actually it's part of the bedroom with a simple drape seperating the shower and sink area from the bed.
The rooftop Haven bar was excellent to have and v stylish although only managed one visit.
Overall we were very pleased and I think we'd stay again but would consider carefully the bathroom situation if we stayed more than maybe a night or two.

Room Tip: try getting something with a larger than average bathroom facility.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I'm delighted to know that you enjoyed the services and genuine customer care that we provided. Our rooms are designed with the intent to maximize use of space while creating an atmosphere that is inviting and warm.

For your next visit, I would love for you to try out one of our deluxe rooms. I trust that with the upgraded amenities and addtional space, it would be more suitable for your needs.

Thank you for your comments and we hope to have you back with us soon.

hastings on hudson
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here for a night away from the kids. Everyone in previous reviews raved about the front desk service, but I didn't find it to be anything special. The hotel lobby is trendy but perhaps a bit too dark. The room (king sized bed) was very small, but very well decorated with a very comfortable bed. The rooftop bar was a real disappointment. We went up for a drink and appetizer. The red wine was served in a PLASTIC wine glass (go figure). We ordered a smoked meat platter and guacamole and chips. The guacamole and chips platter had about 10 stale chips and a blob of flavorless guacamole plopped onto the plate. Not to mention the guacamole and chips was $16. This place could be a homerun - great views, well decoated, etc. but it just misses.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank christine t
west midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

My Husband &I stayed in New York at The Sanctuary Boutique Hotel for 4 nights in September.
We had a lovely room although rather small as other people have commented. We did not really expect a bigger one in NYC. The room was serviced well everyday and was spotless . Our bed and pillows were 1st class for comfort .We had a room on the 4th floor and it was nice and quiet only downside was no view from the window as we looked onto the side of the church next door.
Other reviews make something of the reception area being dark ,although I agree it was I found it rather relaxing. Loved the furnishings and all staff we came into contact with were very helpful with local information how to get about etc ,Front desk staff were friendly and willing .The rooftop bar was a beautiful addition and very well used, most tables booked all the time, we did not eat there but went a couple of times for drinks. Breakfast nothing special just continental but adequate. The position is great for times square only a very short walk away, nice street, close to subway stations.

1 Thank traveller62_10
I'm excited to know that you and your husband enjoyed your recent visit with us.

The goal of the design is to create an atmosphere that is both inviting and warm, while providing a discrete retreat away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

We'd like to thank you for your feedback and are glad that we didn't disappoint. We would love to have you back in the near future for another great visit.

corolla
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

I will preface my review with the fact that I was in NYC for work and therefore looking for a nice hotel and a restful night's sleep. The Santuary is most definitely a "cool" hotel with funky decor and music in the lobby with somewhat of a night club "scene" going on, probably due to the rooftop bar.

As others have mentioned, the rooms are small. My queen room reminded me of a dorm room and had only a small frosted window that would have looked out into the side alley and a brick wall if you could see through the glass. Although the room was outfitted well with modern fixtures and flat screen TV, I did feel as if I was staying in a closet. That being said, I was fine with the small size as long as I could get a decent night's sleep. I wouldn't want to share a room that size with someone else, but I was alone so it didn't really matter.You should know that the rooms (and the hotel overall) have a bit of an adult feel. Artwork of a chubby woman in a thong hung on the bathroom wall and "intimacy kits" are offered along with water and snacks as part of the minibar.

My biggest problem was just the noise. Around 9 pm, several guests were speaking very loudly in the hallway to the point where my neighbor across the hall came out to ask them to be quiet. I wasn't trying to sleep at that hour so no big deal. Around 1:30, I was awoken by more noise in the hallway despite wearing earplugs to bed. I had trouble gettting back to sleep at that point and was then able to overhear my upstairs neightbors seemingly taking advantage of their intimacy kit several times over the next few hours. Good for them, but not so great for me when I had meetings the next monring.

The checkout staff were apologetic the next morning, but at that point they couldn't do much to help. The hotel is probably great for romantic nights out, but perhaps not best for those on business looking to enjoy a quiet evening. Service was excellent, but a big part of the experience for me is a quiet room and I didn't receive that.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank brandy2425
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Friendly helpful service. clean rooms, funky furnishings, good continental breakfast (included)
wifi (included) parking right across the street - discounted-

hotel roof bar/restaurant- DON'T go if you are expecting Michelin type meal food is standard fare- but worth a stop if just to have a drink and check out the view!

good value for NYC- rooms are small but NO smaller than anywhere else- again this is NYC

enjoyed my stay and would go back

1 Thank tomay
Thank you for posting a review of us on tripadvisor.

We really appreciate when guests take the time to provide us with feedback and we hope to see you back with us again soon.