“Amazing hotel and brilliant staff!”

Sanctuary Hotel New York
Ranked #71 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My girlfriend and I thought the Sanctuary Hotel was excellent. As soon as you step inside you feel a million miles away from all of the hustle bustle of New York City and are transported to a cool, calm and relaxing atmosphere. The staff were fabulous and made us feel extremely welcome for the entire duration of our stay. The location was perfect for us, right next to Times Square but just tucked away so you can escape the crowds. The subway is a one minute walk away which made getting around NYC really easy. The rooms are a good size. I was concerned after reading reviews on here that the room was going to be tiny but it was perfect for us. The shower was huge!

My only minor comments would be the breakfast. There was only 1x 4-slice toaster and this meant a queue every morning for toast & bagels. Also, there is no room in the breakfast serving area to place things i.e. the lid for the scrambled egg. You have to hold it in one hand while trying to serve yourself a portion. It just wasn't very well thought out.

Overall though, I'd be happy to recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to explore NYC.

1  Thank JimmyE209
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review.

We always appreciate when guests take the time out of their busy schedules to provide us with such great feedback. We pride ourselves in being a discrete retreat away from the hustle and bustle of the city. I'm happy to know that you experienced that with us.

I will certainly address your concerns regarding our breakfast setup with the team. We would love to see you back with us in the near future.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

On our first ever trip to New York my husband and I decided to stay at The Sanctuary, and could not have been more pleased. We arrived at 10.30pm, and enjoyed an amazing drink and late supper in Haven on the rooftop (food was amazing!). We stayed in "The Sweet", which was a great room-very comfortable and well appointed. We had breakfast the next day in Haven, which was lovely. The staff were all fantastic and the service was superb (special mention to the concierge-Jacob, who gave my husband the means to surprise me in true New York style!). Being less than 30 seconds walk from Times Square meant we got to really experience New York at any time of the day and night. We had such a great time, we are planning on returning, and will definitely stay at The Sanctuary again

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sambibo

We are delighted to know that your experience with us at The Sanctuary Hotel was such a great one.

Knowing that both you and your husband loved your visit with us, brings smile to all our faces. We would love to have you back with us in the near future.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Hotel is very close to Times Square but has a feeling of bring seperate. Staff welcoming and friendly. Room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast on the roof was excellent. Lobby does feel a bit dark, and the solid doors are kept shut. The Tender restaurant/bar can have a bit of the feel of a nightclub but I didn't find this a problem. The security staff were friendly and assiduous in checking ID's for entry to the bar. We were on the 8th floor and while you could hear the rooftop bar it was not a problem for me. On the day we left the President was in town causing traffic chaos. The doorman used his initiative to suggest we met the taxi he had ordered on 6th avenue, so that we wouldn't get trapped in Times Square. It was afterwards as we crawled through the gridlock that I realised how good this advice was,as we might possibly have been late for our flight otherwise.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ARM156

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your Sanctuary Hotel experience.

I'm delighted to hear that you had the opportunity to try our new restaurant Tender. We have received very good feedback and are excited about the launch.

We would love to see you back with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at The Sanctuary and enjoyed the comfort and service tremendously. We arrived earlier than check in time and our room was ready. The staff were fantastic and the room was very comfortable. We enjoyed a cocktail in the Haven, their rooftop bar, which also served breakfast. The location was right in Times Square! Parking was easy, across the street. We will be back.

2  Thank Kieran K
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of our rooms had such a great experience with us.

I will share your feedback with our staff and we hope to have you back in the near future.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I reviewed Sanctuary Hotel after first staying there in February 2012 where I gave it 5 out of 5. We have just returned to the hotel for 7 nights in May and although I am giving it 4 out of 5 this time we still had an enjoyable stay but I will explain why for the drop in rating. The hotel itself still looks really good from the outside especially at night when it is lit up and it certainly stands out in the street. It is literally only 30 seconds from Times Square so location is excellent if that is the area of Manhattan where you want to be. When we walked in everything was exactly how I remembered it from before. We were greeted by Julio on our arrival and had our bags taken from us, offered a coffee which was free and a blessing after a long flight from the UK and we were checked in by Steph which only took a matter of moments and we were allocated our room which was on the fourth floor of the hotel, this by sheer coincidence was the same room we were given when we stayed back in 2012. Our bags arrived shortly afterwards and it did feel like home from home. The view out of the window wasn't the best as this just looked onto another building but that wasn't a major issue. The room itself was a Deluxe Queen room which was ample in size for the two of us. There was enough storage to fully unpack, a large screen TV, a mini bar which we didn't use, an iron and small ironing board, hairdryer and the usual things you'd expect in a hotel of this nature. The toilet is separated by a sliding door and the shower is in the room but separated by a curtain for privacy - again this wasn't an issue for us as we knew what to expect from our previous stay. Suffice to say there were no issues with the room at all. During our last stay at Sanctuary there was no rooftop bar and the bar area was downstairs near to the reception. This area has now been transformed into a restaurant called 'Tender' which wasn't officially opened however there were people using it and we were told that this was one of a number of 'soft openings' before it's grand opening although I'm not sure when this is. I was looking forward to sampling the rooftop bar which was as it turns out an area I have mixed feelings about. The rooftop itself is nicely decorated and it does have a good atmosphere. It consists of a number of tables and chairs for sit down meals and also a number of more comfortable chairs/loungers with smaller tables to relax. The bar when we went was pretty much always very busy as it caters for non-hotel guests as well. This in itself means that in the reception area there were people waiting in queues at the elevators to go up to the ninth floor where Haven is located. There are two elevators in the hotel which meant and at times both were taking people not staying at the hotel up to Haven. There was a doorman whose job it was to direct people to the elevator who wasn't very personable and appeared quite intimidating which was certainly the opposite to other staff members. He would also appear in Haven itself, very rarely if ever spoke to us or acknowledged us which again goes against the other staff members. I'm guessing he would be what we call a bouncer in the UK to avert any trouble but that doesn't mean he can't be friendly and approachable. Another gripe I have with Haven is that once we got up there and get seated and comfortable for the night, on more that one occasion we were then told that a large party have arrived and would we mind sitting at the bar, not that there were any available seats at the bar so we ended up being moved and standing. I understand that the table and chairs for sit down meals need to be reserved but the other seats should on a first come first served basis, I thought it was a bit off being seated and then asked if we would move half way through the night especially being paying guests staying at the hotel and I feel that this is something which the hotel does need to address somehow. I know that the hotel needs to make money but people staying there shouldn't be shunned in favor of non-hotel guests especially when it prides itself on excellent service. The rooftop bar can be very loud and even though we were on the fourth floor we could still hear the noise from there on a night although I must say that this wasn't loud enough to disturb any sleep but I would think that those staying on higher floors might say differently. Food was very good at Haven (the truffle fries are lovely) and the drinks for the most are reasonable priced especially with Happy Hour being between 4pm-7pm. I must point out that there was never any trouble at Haven and everyone did seem to be having a good time and apart from a few major gripes so did we but whether this would cater for families with children I don't know and I just hope that with the arrival of Haven and the impending arrival of Tender that the hotel doesn't send out mixed messages of exactly what it wants to be (Nightclub or Hotel) because the only real areas other than your room where you can relax where it is relatively quiet is the lobby/reception area but when Tender opens I can't see this being the case anymore. Breakfast at the hotel is again on the rooftop, they offer a continental breakfast with toast, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, bagels and cereals along with juices and tea/coffee. The selection is more than ample and also there were never any problems finding a seat. A special mention must go out to the concierge Jacob and Brandon and Jimmy were the main ones we spoke with and Stephen on reception were all great. We saw the owner on quite a few occasions walking around the hotel however he didn't speak or acknowledge us which again would have been nice of him to do so considering we were staying there but I guess he's busy doing other things. Overall I would recommend Sanctuary as a place to stay, there are a lot of excellent reviews which tell their own story. Our stay was really good but like I touched on earlier on I just hope that the introduction of Haven and Tender doesn't inadvertently overshadow everything else which is excellent about this hotel with the loud music and numerous non-hotel guests visiting for drinks because that would be a real shame.

Room Tip: With Haven on the rooftop I would get a room somewhere in the middle floors of the hotel to avert an...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for providing us with such a thorough review. We always appreciate when guests take the time out of their busy schedules to provide us with good and constructive feedback.

I'm sorry that your experience this time around was not flawless like your previous stay. We do have a few new and exciting things happening with the opening of our new restaurant. The last thing we would want to do in inconvenience any of our guests or make them feel unwelcomed.

Rest assured that I will address your concerns with the Haven Rooftop management team as well as the security company that ensures our safety. We strive to provide the very best for all our guests and will use your comments as a tool to improve the services that we offer.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at The Sanctuary Hotel at the beginning of May and it was great from start to finish. The location was a stones-throw from Times Square, the Metro and 6th Avenue, making it perfect for getting anywhere. All the staff were very friendly and helpful (nothing was too much trouble) from the doormen to receptionists to maids and the rooms were exceptionally clean as well as stylish and well maintained. The bed was really comfy and the shower was amazing - both vital after long, tiring days in NYC. The continental breakfast was more than adequate and our one meal at the Haven restaurant was fantastic. Our only (small) gripe was the reception area which was quite dark, making it feel a little imposing plus difficult to see when signing in/out. It also serves as a gateway to the hotel's busy downstairs restaurant, meaning we often had to squeeze past a queue of non-residents to get in the lift to our room.A small niggle however, and we would definitely stay again when we return to New York.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank BoltonLad76

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent visit to The Sanctuary Hotel.

We appreciate the feedback and would love to see you back with us again soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I thought this hotel was a great place to stay. Very close to Times Square and 10 minutes walk from Macy's was a good location for us. The staff were all charming, friendly and helpful. Our room was a bit dingy and we could hear the partying downstairs as we were just above the restaurant/club but this was not loud enough to keep me awake. The room was clean and comfortable and the shower was great. The rooftop bar was buzzing and had a fun atmosphere we were pleasantly surprised to find such a vibrant place to go in our hotel. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who thrives on good service and a good cocktail!

Room Tip: Higher floors will get less noise from the downstairs club/restaurant.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank yummiestmummyhants

We appreciate the feedback and hope to have you back with us again. I'd like to apologize if any of the noise from our new restaurant caused inconvenience to you.

We look forward to your next visit.