“Shower in room and impossible to sleep”

Sanctuary Hotel New York
Ranked #71 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Shower in room and impossible to sleep”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

The location of the hotel is very good, and the staff is very friendly. The rooftop restaurant was good. However there are a number of features that were really bad and lower my rating considerably:
The shower and sink is in the room, and the toilet is behind a sliding door that is very in-discreet and not possible to lock. The airconditioning was very noisy and made it virtually impossible to sleep. The breakfast is very minimal and does not include meats (not even meat spread or cheese for the sandwiches). The youhurt was fat free and they could not accomodate my wish for proper, full fat youghurt. The only positive thing with the breakfast was fresh strawberries. We ended up eating breakfast at a diner across the street every morning, despite having paid for breakfast included in the room charge. I would not recommend the hotel and there is no way that it is among the 30 top hotels in NYC as the TripAdvisor rating suggests.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Per R
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
I'm deeply sorry that your experience with us was not what you expected. We work very hard at creating a stay that is memorable for our guests. However, we do understand that different guests have different needs and we make every attempt to focus on personalized service.

Our rooms are designed with the intent of maximizing use of space and most important…comfort. We provide European sheets, duvets and terry, while crystal chandeliers add glamour that present and overall ambiance that is inviting and warm. Our shower design is something that guests simply rave about. Additionally, majority of our guests do enjoy the plush pillow-top mattresses.

I would like to point out that we do not serve "meats" in our "Continental Breakfast". Most continental breakfasts traditionally consist of bread, pastries, juice and hot beverages. However, we also serve scrambled eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, fresh fruits, cereal, as an added bonus.

We also do not charge you for breakfast in the rate. Our rates are priced competitively and would be the same with or without breakfast. By offering items such as complimentary breakfast, Wi-Fi and daily gym passes to the upscale Equinox gym, we feel that this provides good value for our guests. Especially since most hotels charge for these items.

It is very rare that we come across such a disappointing review, and I am very sorry that you did not have the experience we would have wanted for you. We feel very strongly about the authenticity of our product, and the genuine care that we provide for our guests.

Guest feedback is always important to us. Being well received, and with so many compliments from our past reviewers, I believe that we are heading in the right direction and will continue to improve upon the services that are provided.

Jeremy Poon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (777)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We've been staying at the hotel since last Saturday on our honeymoon with still a couple of nights to go before we leave. Previous reviews we read about the hotel lead us to book, and I don't know whether we've just been unlucky or expecting too much but we haven't been massively impressed so far.

There's definitely good points...the location is brilliant and most of the staff have been very helpful.

However, we felt that the Rooftop Bar although a lovely spot and the food nice, it leaves a lot to be desired in customer service. There's way too many rules! Don't sit here it's reserved for non guests. So we moved then got told if you sit here I can't get you a drink as it's waitress service only...you'll have to close down the bar tab we've just let you open...what is that all about?! We really thought we would be in the bar loads but it's very pretentious and they don't give a stuff that you're a guest in the hotel.

I have to say that my husband found the STAR service really helpful before we got here, however we had been booked in for dinner at the new Tender restaurant on Sunday night so got ready etc and arrived at the restaurant only to be told it is closed on Sundays and Mondays...how can that happen?! No apology made at all.

There was also an issue with the car we had booked to pick us up from the airport however that wasn't the hotels fault and they did mention it to us to say the first car broke down so the car company couldn't provide the car we booked.

We also find it really odd that hotel staff knock on your room door a couple of times late afternoon to ask if we need anything. Maybe a NYC thing, but we've not experienced this before and it's a bit too much after a long day of walking when you're trying to have a little nap?

Anyway this review sounds really negative and I wouldn't normally moan so much but feel it necessary. Also must stress that the location is great, most of the staff are really friendly and breakfast is great too. We've had a great time in NYC so far, but the hotel haven't played a big part in that and it being our honeymoon it's a bit disappointing.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Jen A
Florida City, Florida
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I recently stayed at The Sanctuary for the Tony Awards. I only needed a two day stay so a boutique hotel was ideal. After reading the reviews I came across this hotel. I was honored to attend the Tony Awards and of course nervous. Not knowing NY city and it being my first trip I didn't know where to begin. After arriving I the Sanctuary I had the pleasure or meeting Jenaya Faulkner. From the moment I checked in on Sunday she became my personal assistant and go to for all my needs. She knew all about makeup and angles for photographs and how I should style my hair to what fragrance was appropriate for a night on the red carpet. To get that royal treatment and sound advice at a hotel was astonishing. All my nerves were immediately calmed and reassured that this night at the Tonys would be a dream come true! Thank you Jenaya for making my trip memorable!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Monica K
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for your comments.

We will certainly shared your wonderful feedback with Jenaya and the rest of the staff. We would love to see you back with us for another great visit.

Edmonton
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Simply the best hotel I have ever stayed in. The room and hotel were beautiful and well appointed. The complimentary Wi-Fi and breakfast was fantastic. It is beautifully located in the heart of everything but not at all loud. Sanctuary - the roof top lounge is a must for any visitor to New York. My biggest compliment goes to the Sanctuary staff. They were absolutely outstanding. They were able to assist with some odd requests (asking the concierge to find a good tattoo parlour) and were of remarkable assistance when I came down with an unfortunate bout of food poisoning. They take the time to learn your name and were so helpful every step of the way. I can not recommend this hotel enough, if you are going to NY stay here, I know I will be again when I take my next trip.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank splshmntn
I'm delighted to hear that the staff were able to assist you in your time of need. They make every effort to provide our guests with the very best and I'm glad that we could do that for you.

We hope to have you back in the near future.

Oslo
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We were in town for a romantic weekend of a couple of musicals and the Tony Awards, and when scouting for hotels, the location stood out: The Sanctuary is literally in the heart of the theatre district, and just a few blocks from the Radio City Music Hall. A very decent price for a deluxe king settled the deal (along with the free wi-fi, as I find it bizarre that some 4*+ hotels still insist of charging extra for this).

From the moment we arrived, the service was impeccable: The doormen, security guys, front desk clerks, concierges, they all made us feel at home, remembering names, faces and earlier conversations. Being a relatively small hotel, the staff-to-guest ratio allows for such extra attention - given that the hotel is managed in a good way, of course. My impression is that they have been carefully picked, all being well-trained, service-minded, friendly, and attentive.

The lobby area is, as some have pointed out, a bit dark, but stylish. I also liked the statues in the hallway behind the elevators. There are only two elevators, one exclusively for guests and one for the Haven rooftop restaurant (a very busy/popular spot in the weekends, it seemed. We chose to have a few drinks there on Friday afternoon, it was buzzing with lots of after-work suits having drinks and semi-loud music, so we ate elsewhere. Menu looked good, though!).

Our room (deluxe king) was exactly as depicted on the hotel website, and the beds were so comfortable we found it hard to get up in the mornings. The shower is big enough for two, and even has a smart split-solution. Also, the glass doors meant no sticky shower curtains. Despite the central location, and two (eighth floor) windows facing 47th street, we had no problems with outside noises and slept well. The minibar also had room for a few of our own sodas.

The breakfast section on the first floor was ok, but nothing special (as it was included in the price, we weren't really expecting much anyway). Also, the hotel has an arrangement with a gym at the Rockefeller Center, which I intended to try out - but the weather was simply too fantastic to waste indoors during our stay, and the Central Park (just a dozen blocks away) is a wonderful place for running.

Finally, I must compliment the excellent concierges (Jimmy and Brandon) for their services. After booking the room, I asked them to aquire the programs to the musicals we were attending and have them placed in our room upon arrival - and so was it. During our stay, they also gave excellent advice on tuxedo rentals and dress shopping for the awards night, and were all the time friendly and professional. Good concierge services are such an asset to a hotel, and these gentlemen do indeed take their work seriously!

As a relatively frequent visitor to Noo Yawk, I must admit I am somewhat embarrassed not to have checked in here earlier - but I now know where to go next time!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AndyZoidberg
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share such a wonderful and detailed review about your stay here.

It's feedback such as yours, that motivate the staff to continuously make effort and provide our guests with the very best. They will certainly be excited to read comments.

Should your travels bring you back to New York City, please think of The Sanctuary Hotel. We would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This hotel is situated perfect if you are a tourist in N.Y. Right next to Times Square and only a walk away from all the sights, 5th Ave and Central Park. It is a modern hotel which from the outside looks like only a flat. Inside it has everything you need. The consierge was so informative and helpful - both with sights and dining. Only thing to be better is the breakfast. But why don't you just go out and enjoy a traditional American breakfast. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
We appreciate the feedback and will certainly look for ways to improve our complimentary continental breakfast for our guests.

We would love to have you back in the near future.

Baarn, The Netherlands
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Centrally located hotel (just south of Central Park) with friendly staff that welcomed us warmly on every occasion. The room was clean but very small with hardly any room to store ones luggage. The staff would cause me to return on my next visit to NYC but a room so small may have me look elsewhere in Manhattan.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
I'm delighted to hear that the staff would be the cause for you to come back. They make every effort to create an experience that is unique and memorable for our guests. They will be very happy to read about your comments.

We hope to have you back soon.