“Fantastic hotel, with some slight niggles.”

Sanctuary Hotel New York
Ranked #72 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hotel, with some slight niggles.”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Myself and my partner stayed in this hotel back in November. The staff are excellent, I mean, really, they couldn't do anything else to help you. The lads working the door were polite, genuine , incredibly helpful and they made a English lad like myself (not used to all this tipping) feel at ease.

The interior was lovely, the rooms were small, but I didnt find us wanting any more space. If you travel with 2 or 3 bags each, then maybe. But we didn't have any issues with the size.

The only negatives were the noise from within the hotel. The air conditioning was quite outstanding in that it was so loud! Being November, we just turned it off but in the summer I would have requested another room.Lots of noise from within the corridors.

One slight issue people may face if they have breakfast within the hotel was that a couple of days there were not enough seats for people.

Saying this, I would recommend it and when we return I will likely return due to the staff which are quite frankly out of this world.

Thanks for the great memories guys.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ben_j_d85

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (777)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Smithtown, New York
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Quick little overnight getaway in New York City, the Sanctuary Hotel is a small boutique hotel located near Times Square and Rockefeller Center, hotel staff were excellent from the doormen, bellhop,front desk staff and concierge, hotel was clean and the roof top bar was awesome, the rooms are a little small, but it's NYC. There was more then enough room for the two of us, shower and water pressure was perfect. The concierge gave us dinner recommendations and his choice was great. Give the Sanctuary a try next time you are in Manhattan

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew E
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
The goal is to create a discrete retreat away from the hustle and bustle of the city. I'm delighted to know that we were able to create that experience for you.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This hotel was ok, I stayed here after flying from luxury in Mexico so maybe I was expecting more but below are my points as to why it was just ok:

Room: The rooms are tiny! There is an option to upgrade probably 4 categories up to get a decent size, but for a short break in the city a standard room is all you need. The rooms are clean and chic, but it was just to stuffy and cramped for my liking.

Lighting: When you walk in to the hotel it's so dark I thought I had walked into a nightclub...the lighting may sound like i'm nit picking but lighting really does effect a mood and walking around with dim lights everywhere was really annoying.

Staff: No complaints with the staff, from the moment you look as if you are about to walk into the hotel the doormen are on hand to open the door and greet you. The hotel staff are polite.

Location: Perfect location! In the heart of Times Square and it only took me a few blocks to walk down to Central Park. Loads of the designer stores are on the road behind aswell which is nice a easy to get to, plus there is a subway at the end of each end of the street the hotel is located if you want to venture out further.

Rooftop: Rooftop was nice, weather was good so nice to relax out in the sun.

Food: Didn't try any of the food- only because there is so much to eat everywhere else---tip for Londoners....there is a café opposite that does all day breakfast and more....busy but cheap and cheerful and nice lol.

I personally think that I could have paid that bit extra or even probably the same for a Hilton or Intercontinental and felt better about my money being spent- rather than going for second best and feeling like if i'm gonna spend a lot of money I should have done it properly. But this is great if you don't mind small, cosy boutique type places.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kim M
USA
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Decided to visit NYC for 5 days , Sanctuary Hotel was our choice . The good : location , this hotel is located just few blocks from TSQ walking distance to many tourist attractions . The staff OMG! Friendly at plus and thy know this is difficult to find in big cities specially NYC. The girls at the front desk super nice professionals and friendly . The hotel is small , I a boutique hotel , the lobby and the few hallways with the statues look like an small monastery , I really liked . Flavored water (lemon and Ice tea ) in the lobby is great after coming back from hours if walking , relaxing in the dark lobby was very good . Now the not so good : SMAll rooms and when I said small they are super small trust me I think my balcony cruise cabin this past summer was bigger , honestly if anyone plans to stay at this hotel with friends or any other person where privacy matter you better think twice , two people can not be in the bathroom at the same time is not privacy at all and if the toilet needs to be use you better send your roommate to the lobby , it is a slide door between the toilet and the shower but again the space is very limited like an small aircraft bathroom . I have to say the shower is amazing !!! Many thanks to the huge rain cascade shower I survived after walking 10 hours daily in NYC . The bed super soft not for me I wake up every morning with back pain but this is me , I prefer firm mattresses but again thanks to the incredible shower I was ready in 30 minutes . They do offer breakfast ( continental breakfast ) same every day good but after the second day I need something better thank fruit bagel coffee and juice , they offer eggs too but plain eggs like a fast food restaurant. The restaurant staff very nice , again no much lights around this hotel me personally love it my fiancé no so much . Back to room , dark and black carpet but a cute chandelier . Good hotel if you are ok with these amenities oh almost forget , a great bar-restaurant top floor great dessert but super expensive $12 each . I think I over paid this time for a hotel in NYC around $250 per night overall the hotel is nice , clean and the best hotel staff in NYC . Staying at this hotel again , me ? Maybe if I get it for a better rate .

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rafamark
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We had a great experience at Sanctuary! The STAR service was wonderful, meeting all our requests and providing additional tips to make our visit in NYC fun. Breakfast was just perfect each morning (eggs, pastries and fruit). We were always greeted by the doormen and welcomed back by all the staff! The room was quiet at night, clean, the bed was comfortable, a perfect little retreat. Thank you for a great couples get away!

Room Tip: We chose a king bed (a little extra cost) but worth it!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
I am excited to hear that you had such a great experience with us.

We hope to have you back again for another wonderful getaway.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Our stay at Sanctuary Hotel New York was amazing. We will have nothing but good memories to last us until we return...and we will DEFINITLY return to this hotel. From the time of our arrival to seconds from our departure, every single individual who worked in this hotel was friendly, kind, courteous and a pleasure to deal with. Most people do not remember their hotel stay after their vacation is over, but after staying here, we will never forget the incredible service we received. The price was resasonable and well worth what was receivd in return. Room came with continental breakfast, which was great and free wifi...what more can you ask for?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank shane b
We are excited to be able to create your very own Sanctuary for you. Our goal is and always will be to create the best possible experience for our guests.

We would love to see you back with us in the near future.

Dubai
Reviewed 7 July 2014

First time in New York and wanted to stay somewhere with some character rather than another chain hotel and this hotel gave just that. From the second we arrived there was a personal touch that is lost at even 5 star hotels now, the staff were friendly and attentive and had a well rehearsed check in procedure which again is lost at most luxury hotels now and normally quite long and annoying especially when you have been travelling for a long time.

Location is perfect with time square around the corner and the subway round the other corner you can access the whole city with a short walk. The rooftop bar is a great spot for a drink and seems to be the place to be with plenty of people there every night.

The rooms a smaller size but expected with New York, all clean and comfortable though so everything you need. No real view but again is expected and not needed in my opinion, nice and quiet too which i was worried about.

Bad points: The only possible bad thing i could say was the food in the restaurant in the rooftop was poor quality and over-priced. They should stick to bar snacks or do not food as this lets them down. Go here for a drink and great atmosphere but New York has plenty of better restaurants with better quality and prices.

Room Tip: No real views with the rooms but try and get one facing the church next door as it will be quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
We appreciate the feedback and are glad that you enjoyed your time with us.

I'm very surprised that you didn't enjoy the dining experience at Haven Rooftop. Many guests and patrons return specifically for the food. This is why feedback is important to us, because we will continuously make efforts to improve.

We hope to have you back in the near future.