“Primary Business - Hotel or Nightclub?” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sanctuary Hotel New York

Sanctuary Hotel New York
Ranked #61 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Primary Business - Hotel or Nightclub?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

On first impression this hotel is nice. The front desk, especially Lauren, gave a warm welcome. But make no mistake this hotel values the revenue from the rooftop lounge, Haven, more than the revenue from the hotel. It is IMPOSSIBLE To get a good night sleep at Sanctuary. The first night of our three day stay they had a private party on the roof deck the noise was from the music, shouts, and whistling was so loud that it felt like we were actually attending the event. The event finally ended at 12:30am. Our room was on the 5th floor.
When I brought the unacceptable conditions up the following morning the staff was surprised that we were disturbed by the noise since our room was suppose to be a quiet room. They were responsive to our request to move to a quieter room and had folks move our luggage into the new
room on the 6th floor. Next night we could still hear the noise but it was not too bad but it was audible. Tonight, our third night is just ridiculous - the noise again is at such a high level you can hear the roar of laughing, hollering, and whistling along with the music. The lounge closes at 2:00am so we get to look forward to another hour and a half of no sleep. I am actually writing this review at 12:39am because it is impossible to sleep.
Sanctuary should decide what their primary business is - hotel or nightclub. I would NOT recommend this hotel unless you were planning to go to Haven and did not want to stumble too far to your hotel room.
Seriously for the price of the room you should expect a MUCH BETTER experience.

Room Tip: Maybe second floor to get away from rooftop lounge noise - ridiculous!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Cbowab
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
We are very disappointed that your experience with us was not the way it should have been. The goal is to create a unique and memorable experience for everyone and I'd like to personally apologize for any inconveniences that the noise has caused.

Guest feedback holds great value and rest assured that I will certainly address this with the management team at Haven Rooftop. We will make the necessary adjustments so that future guests do not share the same experience.

We pride ourselves in being a discrete retreat away from the hustle and bustle of the hectic city and we will continue to work towards that.

Should you decide to give us another opportunity in the future, please contact me directly for reservations, so that I can ensure that you have an enjoyable stay. I can be reached at Jeremy@sanctuaryhotelnyc.com.

Jeremy Poon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (767)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

It was a fun hotel- the rooftop patio is a fave and always busy.

Good location midtown.

Hotel service is top notch and very attentive.

We had a room on the 9th floor and it was loud bc of the rooftop bar but we didn't really mind bc we were part of the loudness!

Complaints: The rooms are small and feel a little mouldy.. Also the main lobby is very dark.

Stayed July 2014
Bakersfield, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

I booked this hotel over Priceline because it had a great location and was hoping for the best. I was extremely happy from the moment I walked in! I was greeted by super friendly employees. I arrived at 9:30am so I knew my room would not be ready but they checked my bags in with no hassle. They also sent me to get a free breakfast even though I was not technically checked in yet. My only complaint was that my room was not ready at 4:00 when I returned to the hotel. Because my room was not ready they upgraded me to a better room and sent me to the rooftop for complementary food and drinks! Rooms are smaller than other hotels but are typical for boutique hotels in NYC. They are perfect if you are going to be out and about most of the time. They are stylishly decorated and the beds are very comfortable. I would definitely recommend this hotel and hope to stay there again soon!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank Ann S
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for the great feedback.

We apologize for your room not being ready at the time of check-in and I'm happy that we were able to find you better accommodations.

We would love to see you back with us soon for another great stay.

Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

This was our first visit (10 days) to New York City for my husband & I, we had been looking forward to this for many years! It was wonderful to be greeted at the Hotel entrance by the doorman taking our luggage to reception, (& every day after that too!) All the staff were very helpful, courteous, inviting & very friendly. Our room on the 4th floor, at the back of the hotel, was a good size, clean & quiet, with a walk-in closet plus room safe, and a large bathroom. The two restaurants serve excellent choices of food & the service is good too, we especially enjoyed the rooftop restaurant with brilliant views all around! At the end of a busy sightseeing day it was nice to return to a dimmer lighted hotel creating a soothing & relaxing ambience. The location was perfect (only a block or two) for Times Square, Broadway Theatres, Restaurants, Subways & Sightseeing Buses, & yet away from the hustle & bustle! We would highly recommend this hotel for couples, singles or business travellers.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room at the back of the hotel, we were on the 4th floor, very quiet!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing the Sanctuary Hotel as the place to stay for your 10 day New York City visit.

I'm happy that you were also able to experience both our restaurants. Many guests such as yourself, really enjoy the food and different experiences that they provide.

We hope to see you back with us in the future.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Been to NY many times, but 1st time staying in the Theatre District. Stayed for 6 days and found the hotel's location was great, 1 block west to Time Square (packed with tourists), 1 block east to a quieter street with Radio City Music Hall and shopping. 5-10 minutes walking distance to ALL the shows. Rooms were clean and the free breakfast was great!

Best part of this hotel.... Jimmy, the concieger and the rest of the staff. Always friendly, so helpful and welcoming. Totally worth every penny!

Room Tip: Suite had 2 double beds, a rarity for New York. The room was on the 4th floor in the middle of the h...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jimmy and the rest of the staff will be so delighted to read about your feedback. The staff really make every effort to provide our guests with a unique and memorable visit.

We hope to have you back soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

As the previous reviews indicate the location and facilities are great. We stayed in the cheapest room they have and while small it was well laid out, clean and pretty. What I really liked was the service given by the bell staff. They were incredibly friendly and went well beyond the expected to help us.

We were coming back from a trip to Vermont. The hotel has no parking but they get a discount? ($40/day) from a garage across the street. Due to the location I do NOT recommend this. It can take half an hour just to circle the block.

Stayed July 2014
We appreciate the great feedback and would love to see you back with us again soon.

Sydney Olympic Park, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Great hotel, 25 meters away from Times Square, customer service was amazing, everyone from cleaners to the concierge where helpful, rooms are small, but are modern and all you really need, rooftop bar is excellent

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
2 Thank kd12342014
We are happy that you enjoyed your recent visit with us.

We would love to have you back for another great stay.