“Absolutely Fabulous”

Ranked #276 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Luton, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Fabulous”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Spent 6 days here alone and what a fabulous hotel , recently renovated and looked exactly as advertised.

Lovely foyer with lots of seating and a great bar that serves up a yummy dirty martini .

My room was absolutely gorgeous , and the bed, oh the bed , it was like sleeping on a huge marshmallow , I thought the Westin hotels with their heavenly beds were the comfiest beds in the world until I had the pleasure of sleeping in this bed .

Rooms are quire spacious for Manhattan standards , the bathrooms are quite compact as other reviews state but I really don't understand what people moan about , it's a bathroom for goodness sake , how much time do you spend in there ????? What I can say is the shower head definitely makes up for the compact bathroom , four different options all of which were great and the water pressure was great , like having a jacuzzi shower .

It was great that you had free wifi in your room and also free use of the business centre to print out tickets etc.

Housekeeping were lovely ladies and always had a smile .

The only complaint I have is that door men are not that friendly and helpful as other doormen I've encountered in Manhattan and the fact they charge you $2 per suitcase for them to store your luggage , never in all my travels have I had to pay for this .

Overall this is a fabulous hotel , extremely comfortable rooms and in a great location approx 10 mins walk to 5th Avenue .

Please do not be put off by the dreadful reviews on this hotel , if I had believed what other reviewers had written I would have cancelled and missed out on sleeping on a marshmallow :-)

It was a pleasure to stay at the Lexington , keep up the good work .

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Poshbird232
Jim M, General Manager at The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear Poshbird232,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with such valuable feedback! I am very glad to hear that you had a great stay and that you enjoyed our marshmallow bed. I will be sure to share your kind words with the staff. I hope to see you soon at The Lexington NYC!

Jim Marino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Renovation was just completed two months ago. This place can be described as New York Hip and Cool."

It's an old building with a modern twist. This is not your typical modern Marriott. By that I mean, the room configurations differ... some are bigger... some are small... and some are tiny. Our bedroom was great for four people ... the bathroom was not (tiny would be a better description). But the truth is -- that's OK. I believe you realize that in a unique property like this, you are not going to have the same square footage and layout as the hotel you were in last week in "Anytown, USA."

Two minor negative comments: one, we did notice COLD air coming through the old windows (that's not unusual for NY buildings). second-- we had four people in our room and two sets of towels. We called for additional towels before leaving for dinner. After returning, we noticed no towels had been delivered so we called again. In short, we had three deliveries of towels and two follow up phone calls. It was almost comical.

As a Marriott Gold Elite member, I qualify for free breakfast. They give me two vouchers for the restaurant. There is no elite lounge for a "quick" breakfast, so plan on a little more time.

The place was spotless!!

Room Tip: Room sizes vary... ask for a corner
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear 886SteveS,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback. I wil relay the issue with the windows to the Director of Engineering so that it can be fixed. I will also let the Director of Housekeeping know of the delay in towels so that these issues can be rectified in the future. I appreciate your kind words and hope to see you at The Lexington in the future!

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 6 December 2013

there are better options nearby. the renovations are tacky, the rooms so cramped you just want to get out of them, and when I disputed my bill - rude is not the word for it. Over heated hallways and just a bad experience overall.

1 Thank Rick S
Dear Rick S,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. We pride ourselves in delivering the highest quality of service and product to our guests, and we strive consistently to improve in every level. Clearly we have let you down this down. I will be sure to relay your concerns to the appropriate Department Heads to make sure the issues are addressed. Once again, I apologize for your experience and hope that we can restore your faith in the hotel in the future.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I read the reviews and didn't listen to most of them. I just hit NYC for a 4 day weekend and stayed in a suite at The Lexington. I paid 350 a night for a gorgeous suite with multiple rooms, a very large bathroom and sharp decor. I would recommend this to any traveler who is seeking a suite at an awesome price in a super location in NYC. It is a great deal and a very nice hotel. It is not the plaza but it is a great option and I will def return.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear ATLG33,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We just went through a $46 million renovation and am very proud to hear your kind words on our Suites. Thank you for choosing The Lexington and how to see you soon!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Great hotel and the staff is fantastic! I travel often to New York on business and this place has become like my second home. The staff service is great and be sure to ask for Irina. Irina has been extremely helpful to me during each of my stays and I am sure she will see that you have an excellent stay.

Michael B.

Dear Michael B,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback! I will make sure to share your kind words with Irina. I am very glad to hear that The Lexington has become your second home. Hope to see you soon!

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Positives:

- Great location at 48th and Lexington.
- Numerous restaurants and bars nearby
- Has a boutique quality; reminds me of a Kimpton
- Nice, big flatscreen TV mounted on wall
- Low bandwidth internet is free (but the faster internet is $16/night)
- Better if traveling solo or on business, since room size not as much an issue
- Safe in the room
- Starbucks in the lobby
- Staff were all friendly and helpful

Negatives:
- Very small rooms (somewhat claustrophobic)
- Extremely tiny bathrooms (barely enough room to move around; I kept hitting my arm on the edge of the sink when I sat on the throne)
- Some inattention to detail: No TV remote in my room when I arrived; housekeeping never refilled my shampoos/conditioner
- Housekeeping seemed to be on an erratic schedule (still cleaning some rooms at 10 p.m., causing hallway noise)
-Very loud elevators (if your room is near them)
- The free internet was spotty (got very slow at times and bumped me off VPN connection)
- The door staff were a bit overeager to grab my small bag and escort me to my room...but I suppose it's NY so whatever.
- The hallways were way overheated; they need to crank that down a bit.
- Price was a bit higher than warranted for the value (better places in the area for equal price)

I might stay here again if I got a good deal but would likely check out other options in the area.

Dear ATLDawg,

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed the TV in the room, the location of our hotel and all the other features you have listed. I especially want to thank you for commenting on the staff friendliness, I will be sure to relay your kind words to the team. In regards to the TV remote and other Housekeeping concerns, I will relay that to the Director of Housekeeping and make sure that we work to address these issues. Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review and hope to see you soon!

Switzerland
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

It's in an excellent location and the hotel has bags of character - from its historical design and the modern decor.

The rooms are very small though - not unusual for NY. The desks don't really lend themselves to working at for any extended time. There is no coffee/tea making facility in the room, but there is a Starbucks in the lobby that opens at 0530.

The gym is well equipped and a pleasure to use. The bar in the lobby is well stocked and there is a decent ambience to the area, even though it's part of the lobby area.

The challenge is the staff - who are very friendly but don't give the sense they're on top of the job when I stayed there:

1. Reception didn't combine my reservations into 1 stay as assured at check-in.
2. Housekeeping didn't make-up the room until requested in the evening.
3. The concierge didn't know where breakfast was served.
4. Waitresses disorganized in the breakfast restaurant - which is small and a la carte only - resulting in a slow breakfast . Not what you want on a tight business schedule.
5. No room service offered for coffee when I called at 0300. I know that sounds tough, but jet lag from Singapore to US is tough and other hotels of this class over such requests. No interest to help either.

I guess as a Gold Marriott and a Platinum Starwoods I expect more from a hotel of this class and price.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Angliskai
Dear Angliskai,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. I am very proud to hear that you enjoyed the aesthetics of our hotel as we just went through a $46 million renovation. In regards to the issues you encountered with the staff and service, I will be sure to share your feedback with the respective Department Heads to make sure that these issues are addressed. Once again, thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope that we can restore your faith in our hotel should you find yourself in the Big Apple again.