“Great location, decent hotel”

The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection
Ranked #278 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights during the long weekend. Here's a summary of our stay:

Location:
Great location. Just a short 5 min walk to the subway (grand central station) and about 20 min walk to times square. The direct vicinity is around several hotels and offices and is not in a extremely high traffic area compared to say times square. But there are still bars, clubs and restaurants within a short walking distance away.

Service:
The front desk was friendly but fairly standard. Nothing bad or spectacular about it. The only qualm was one night where the cleaners forgot to give us towels. We called the front desk late at night and it took about 15 mins for somebody to come.

Decor and Comfort:
The hotel definitely has interesting and trendy decor. The building itself looks fairly dated but it's got a face lift with posters, pictures and trendy furniture. The rooms were small but sufficient for what we need. The AC/heating could've worked a little better. There was no exhaust in the washroom so it steamed up after a shower and smelled if someone used the toilet. You can also see a bit of mold on the window frame too in the washroom, likely due to no ventilation.

You have to pay to use Wifi in the room but there is free wifi in the lobby. Valet parking is $55/day. We parked at a nearby parking lot and saved a bit of money by walking to the hotel. There is a starbucks right downstairs - very convenient. They also have a bar on ground floor, concierge & business center but I never used them.

Overall Pros:
Can't beat the location. It was one of the cheaper hotels in the area and considering we only used the hotel to sleep, it was fine for what it was. Aside from the interesting decor, the hotel itself was fairly average so it was fine for what we needed it to be. It's closed to the subway and restaurants and very convenient to get around.

Overall Cons:
I didn't it because it didn't affect me, but there is a nightclub next door and the music gets very loud in the lobby at night. Our room was high up so I didn't hear it but I guess if you were in the lower levels, it would bother you. While the hotel has nice decor, you can tell it is a little dated. No exhaust in the washroom was a obvious flaw.

Overall you're looking for a hotel with a great location and do not care much about the hotel itself, this is a good suggestion. If you are the type to enjoy amenities in the hotel and care more about the quality and comfort of the hotel itself, there are probably better options out there.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the higher floors. There is a club next door and you can hear music thumping in the l...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank contextv
Gul T, General Manager at The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Thank you for sharing your family’s stay at The Lexington NYC. I am pleased to hear that you liked out location and had a comfortable stay. I look forward to welcoming your wife back in the future.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

As always, I will start with the pros: The young ladies at the main desk were really very helpful and accommodating at check-in. Based on tripadvisor reviews, I requested a higher floor at checkin and they obliged. The decor is absolutely beautiful! The price was reasonable and the overall accommodations were pretty good for NYC. Refrigerator was provided at request.

Now the cons: The gentleman that manned the Elite desk was less than helpful throughout my stay. Breakfast in the cafe was HORRIBLE. Don't waste your time or money. The bathroom was extremely small with no place to store your toiletry bag. Towels were thin and flimsy. Bedside phone didn't work. In room internet did not work the entire time I was there (despite multiple calls to the front desk and their IT department). I was annoyed that the only person who knew how to make it work surfaced only my last night. The entire room was DUSTY and I have allergies. A pipe burst caused the fire alarm to go off at 7:00am and the only announcement over the intercom is "we're investigating the matter." I don't consider myself scary but I wasn't willing to stay on the highest floor while they investigated and apparently the other guests weren't either. After the pipe burst I was moved to a lower floor that was noisy and the thermostat didn't work. I expressed my concerns about the room problems to the gentleman at the elite desk and he made no effort to jot them down to have maintenance follow up. As a result, I had a no confidence that the previous morning's pipe burst couldn't have been prevented somehow.

I believe this hotel was recently renovated so the prices may be reasonable for a short period. Not sure it will be worth it if they ever increase.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kndrain

Thank you for posting your feedback. I apologize for the unexpected pipe burst, and would be happy to personally discuss this further with you. I can be reached at gturkmenoglu@lexingtonnyc.com

Reviewed 21 April 2014

There is nothing more pleasing that being pleasantly surprised while on holiday. Attending the wedding of Friends in NYC we forgot to reserve a room at the hotel that the wedding party would be staying. Striking out on our own proved to me worth the worry of not knowing anything of Marriott's "autograph" collection.

Our stay was two nights over a weekend. Arriving early around 2P, we found the staff very helpful and our room ready. The lobby is modern, clean and very hip. Starbucks in the outer lobby makes for a pleasant morning. The lobby decor takes you back to time of glamor, certainly a place that people want to gather in. Notice the gorgeous elevator doors, splendid, take time to look around at the decor..... The room, while small in size make up for in amenities and style. Very clean with fresh decor and a bed that was a welcome sight at the end of a day of shopping and wedding festivities. The shower and bathroom are well appointed and the bath amenities of good quality. Closet space is limited, as you would expect from a room on the small side. Noise was kept at bay with good windows and wonderful window treatments that allow you to sleep well into the morning. Air conditioner worked well and kept the room cool, even on a very warm NY day.

This is a good find for those looking for something on the hip side. The location is good and the staff was kind and helpful. Would recommend this property to close Friends and Family. I would however not recommend this hotel if more than two plan to stay in a room, it would be tight. I am certain they offer larger rooms that would work well.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors may keep road noise at bay. Staff seems willing to work with special request...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for sharing your experience in such detail. I am pleased to hear you loved the hotel, our amenities and the staff service. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I've stayed many places in NYC, and while this wasn't the best it wasn't the worst. Pros: nice lobby and small but okay rooms. Cons: room temperature was HOT and had to ask several times to get the heat turned off. When it was turned off, it was pleasant. It took an hour to get logged onto the wi-fi. The staff blamed a new system. It shouldn't be rocket science. It's just connecting to the internet, guys! I think they were under-staffed as a couple of times I needed to be helped there were long lines of people and I just gave up. Breakfast at Raffles was expensive. Drinks at bar were also expensive. If I was traveling for personal reasons and didn't need to be in this area, I'd stay at the Giraffe down in the Flatiron District.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your feedback at The Lexington New York City. I am happy to hear you liked our decor and location. I am sorry to hear that it was not easy to log in for internet. We are working on to improve our new system on daily basis. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

My friend and I stayed at this hotel in March. The hardware of the hotel is great. From the decor in the lobby to the room, I don't have any complaints. Also, it is located in a great area and everything is so handy, especially Starbuck is on the main level. However, the software
is ...... (1) Wifi in the lobby is too weak - As we didn't purchase the wifi in room and so had to use the one in the lobby but the connection was unstable and disconnected numerous times. It was such a hassle and we finally gave up (note; we use both samsung & iphone). (2) Poor Concierge - As we arrived earlier than expected and we knew we had to store the luggage. They charged $2 per piece. I had no problem with it as this was New York. But what I dissatisfied was their service. No greeting, no smile, no respect (they talked about other customers in front of us). Based on their age, I can see they are experienced but again, based on their age, I don't see any professionalism. I don't need the management to reply in the tripadvisor who will give me the official and formal answer. I do wish they really do something to improve the service as the concierge is the first group of staff that representing the hotel.

Room Tip: higher floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Gul T, General Manager at The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear woodstockCanada,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback on your most recent stay. While I am pleased to hear that you and your friend enjoyed the hotel, I am truly sorry that it ended on a poor note. I have already shared your comments with the team to that we can continue to improve, however if you would like to discuss further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Stayed 2 nights
Pros:
Clean rooms
Close to subway and shopping
Wifi in lobby with lots of seating/desks
Lots of tv channels

Cons:
Double beds very small
No fan in bathrooms
Bathrooms small
When sitting on toilet had to sit at angle do to location of radiator
Noise level is high on lower floors
At night there is a club on main floor that is very loud
Bag storage is 2 dollars per piece

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Hi surfmaster,

Thank you so much for posting and for allowing us to host you. I am pleased that you found the Lexington to be clean and ideally located, however I am sorry that you were disappointed with your guestroom. On your next trip to NYC, please let us know and we will assist in finding the ideal room for your visit!

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

When I first stayed at this hotel I think it was newer to Marriott. The staff seemed overwhelmed with the volume. I think they are now hitting their stride. The staff are all very helpful and the place doesn't seem so rushed, even on a holiday weekend. Bow feels more like the Marriott experience I have known. Rooms here can be small or big, It's an old hotel so that is the way they were. Walls are thinner than other hotels, but I've not had many truly quiet nights at any NYC hotel. Too much going on outside. This tends to have lower rates than many of the other hotels in midtown. I like the style of the rooms, which have character and are bright.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank PhilipL4

Hi PhilipL4,

Thank you for giving us another opportunity to wow you and for posting about your experience! I look forward to your return visits and being able to host you with all the uniqueness and style that the Lexington has to offer.