“Terrible and tiny”

Ranked #287 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Terrible and tiny”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

This place is terrible - overpriced old and tiny rooms. The good reviews here must be by a internet PR service. my stay was a nightmare. You can't turn around in the bathroom and you feel like you rented a closet - not a hotel room.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Gul T, General Manager at The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Hello Rick S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. While the age of the hotel provides an unparalleled history, it does have the drawback of a variety of room layouts and sizes. Please contact me directly when you are planning to return so that I can personally find an ideal room type for your visit.

Gul Turkmenoglu
Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rochester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

I utilized Priceline "name your own price" and was able to secure this beautiful hotel for 1 night for $105.00! It was in a great NYC location, friendly and helpful staff and the décor was very New York. The beds were comfortable, great view and the bathroom, although small, had everything you need for a night in NY. I would definitely recommend this hotel and will stay again on future trips to NYC.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Gul T, General Manager at The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your stay at The Lexington NYC . I am pleased to hear we exceeded your expectations and appreciate your nice comments about our service. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
NH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed at the Lexington hotel, April 4th and 5th, we stayed once before, I loved the room the first time, this time just ok,we had some mishaps with the pipes busting on the 27th floor, concierge desk, not knowing the right information (Tray) . This was for my daughters 16th birthday, basically ruined, due to the concierge desk. The Manager Irina made sure that she took care of things on her end, may be a while till I make it back, but because of her I will think about trying the hotel again.

Room Tip: I was on the 15th floor, next time I would ask to be up higher, very noisy on this level.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Gul T, General Manager at The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for sharing your family’s stay at The Lexington, NYC. I am sorry to hear that you have been inconvenienced by the unfortunate event on the 27th floor. I appreciate your nice comments about Irina. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future. We'll ensure that you have a memorable stay with us.
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights during the long weekend. Here's a summary of our stay:

Location:
Great location. Just a short 5 min walk to the subway (grand central station) and about 20 min walk to times square. The direct vicinity is around several hotels and offices and is not in a extremely high traffic area compared to say times square. But there are still bars, clubs and restaurants within a short walking distance away.

Service:
The front desk was friendly but fairly standard. Nothing bad or spectacular about it. The only qualm was one night where the cleaners forgot to give us towels. We called the front desk late at night and it took about 15 mins for somebody to come.

Decor and Comfort:
The hotel definitely has interesting and trendy decor. The building itself looks fairly dated but it's got a face lift with posters, pictures and trendy furniture. The rooms were small but sufficient for what we need. The AC/heating could've worked a little better. There was no exhaust in the washroom so it steamed up after a shower and smelled if someone used the toilet. You can also see a bit of mold on the window frame too in the washroom, likely due to no ventilation.

You have to pay to use Wifi in the room but there is free wifi in the lobby. Valet parking is $55/day. We parked at a nearby parking lot and saved a bit of money by walking to the hotel. There is a starbucks right downstairs - very convenient. They also have a bar on ground floor, concierge & business center but I never used them.

Overall Pros:
Can't beat the location. It was one of the cheaper hotels in the area and considering we only used the hotel to sleep, it was fine for what it was. Aside from the interesting decor, the hotel itself was fairly average so it was fine for what we needed it to be. It's closed to the subway and restaurants and very convenient to get around.

Overall Cons:
I didn't it because it didn't affect me, but there is a nightclub next door and the music gets very loud in the lobby at night. Our room was high up so I didn't hear it but I guess if you were in the lower levels, it would bother you. While the hotel has nice decor, you can tell it is a little dated. No exhaust in the washroom was a obvious flaw.

Overall you're looking for a hotel with a great location and do not care much about the hotel itself, this is a good suggestion. If you are the type to enjoy amenities in the hotel and care more about the quality and comfort of the hotel itself, there are probably better options out there.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the higher floors. There is a club next door and you can hear music thumping in the l...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank contextv
Thank you for sharing your family’s stay at The Lexington NYC. I am pleased to hear that you liked out location and had a comfortable stay. I look forward to welcoming your wife back in the future.
Chesapeake, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

As always, I will start with the pros: The young ladies at the main desk were really very helpful and accommodating at check-in. Based on tripadvisor reviews, I requested a higher floor at checkin and they obliged. The decor is absolutely beautiful! The price was reasonable and the overall accommodations were pretty good for NYC. Refrigerator was provided at request.

Now the cons: The gentleman that manned the Elite desk was less than helpful throughout my stay. Breakfast in the cafe was HORRIBLE. Don't waste your time or money. The bathroom was extremely small with no place to store your toiletry bag. Towels were thin and flimsy. Bedside phone didn't work. In room internet did not work the entire time I was there (despite multiple calls to the front desk and their IT department). I was annoyed that the only person who knew how to make it work surfaced only my last night. The entire room was DUSTY and I have allergies. A pipe burst caused the fire alarm to go off at 7:00am and the only announcement over the intercom is "we're investigating the matter." I don't consider myself scary but I wasn't willing to stay on the highest floor while they investigated and apparently the other guests weren't either. After the pipe burst I was moved to a lower floor that was noisy and the thermostat didn't work. I expressed my concerns about the room problems to the gentleman at the elite desk and he made no effort to jot them down to have maintenance follow up. As a result, I had a no confidence that the previous morning's pipe burst couldn't have been prevented somehow.

I believe this hotel was recently renovated so the prices may be reasonable for a short period. Not sure it will be worth it if they ever increase.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kndrain
Thank you for posting your feedback. I apologize for the unexpected pipe burst, and would be happy to personally discuss this further with you. I can be reached at gturkmenoglu@lexingtonnyc.com
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

There is nothing more pleasing that being pleasantly surprised while on holiday. Attending the wedding of Friends in NYC we forgot to reserve a room at the hotel that the wedding party would be staying. Striking out on our own proved to me worth the worry of not knowing anything of Marriott's "autograph" collection.

Our stay was two nights over a weekend. Arriving early around 2P, we found the staff very helpful and our room ready. The lobby is modern, clean and very hip. Starbucks in the outer lobby makes for a pleasant morning. The lobby decor takes you back to time of glamor, certainly a place that people want to gather in. Notice the gorgeous elevator doors, splendid, take time to look around at the decor..... The room, while small in size make up for in amenities and style. Very clean with fresh decor and a bed that was a welcome sight at the end of a day of shopping and wedding festivities. The shower and bathroom are well appointed and the bath amenities of good quality. Closet space is limited, as you would expect from a room on the small side. Noise was kept at bay with good windows and wonderful window treatments that allow you to sleep well into the morning. Air conditioner worked well and kept the room cool, even on a very warm NY day.

This is a good find for those looking for something on the hip side. The location is good and the staff was kind and helpful. Would recommend this property to close Friends and Family. I would however not recommend this hotel if more than two plan to stay in a room, it would be tight. I am certain they offer larger rooms that would work well.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors may keep road noise at bay. Staff seems willing to work with special request...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for sharing your experience in such detail. I am pleased to hear you loved the hotel, our amenities and the staff service. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Mukilteo, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I've stayed many places in NYC, and while this wasn't the best it wasn't the worst. Pros: nice lobby and small but okay rooms. Cons: room temperature was HOT and had to ask several times to get the heat turned off. When it was turned off, it was pleasant. It took an hour to get logged onto the wi-fi. The staff blamed a new system. It shouldn't be rocket science. It's just connecting to the internet, guys! I think they were under-staffed as a couple of times I needed to be helped there were long lines of people and I just gave up. Breakfast at Raffles was expensive. Drinks at bar were also expensive. If I was traveling for personal reasons and didn't need to be in this area, I'd stay at the Giraffe down in the Flatiron District.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing your feedback at The Lexington New York City. I am happy to hear you liked our decor and location. I am sorry to hear that it was not easy to log in for internet. We are working on to improve our new system on daily basis. We look forward to your return visit.