“Nice hotel, great location”

The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection
Ranked #277 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Providence, Rhode Island
“Nice hotel, great location”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Like other Autograph Collection properties by Marriott, the Lexington is a solid, upscale property in a prime location. The Lexington has an Art Deco-ish, artistic design theme and lobby/room furnishings that are attractive and well-maintained. Wonderful location in Midtown East within walking distance to Grand Central, Fifth Avenue, etc. The Lexington Avenue subway line entrance is 3 blocks north of the property, so super convenient for all trains.

My queen bed room on the ninth floor (facing the interior, so only a view of the adjoining building rooftops) was a decent size (by Manhattan standards), and the bathroom had some nice touches (hairdryer, soaps and toiletries, etc.) Bedding was very soft and comfortable. The room's sound insulation was fine, just the usual minor door slams/voices when neighbors left nearby rooms. Only stayed one night, so can't comment on housekeeping.

Staff were very professional and courteous, no complaints whatsoever. Check-in and check-out were both pleasant and efficient.

The Lexington has a very convenient Starbucks and a bistro/diner in the lobby (named Raffles, which appears to be an independent operation, not a Marriott facility). As you'd expect, the bistro's breakfast prices were very high ($4 for coffee, $6 for orange juice, and $16 for a breakfast burrito), and be forewarned, they ONLY take cash! However, the food was good, the portions were large, and the server was extremely pleasant.

Overall, the Lexington is a solid choice for a Midtown hotel, and I'd definitely return here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank mdprov
John T, General Manager at The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Thank you so much for all of your comments on our wonderful service, beautiful décor and great location. We are so happy that you will be returning. We would love to welcome you back to The Lexington!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Columbus, Nebraska
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Clean room, bathroom and linens.
Friendly efficient staff in all areas (i.e. bell hops, registration desk, concierge).
Clean hotel throughout. Enjoyed the theme. Marilyn Monroe stayed here.
Utilized the bar area to watch the hockey game! Good margaritas.

GREAT location for Broadway shows and shopping:) Short walking distance to subway.

Take a taxi from the airport, the Super Shuttle cost more and took longer.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the ice machine and elevator. Moderate NYC traffic noise is unavoidable.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
John T, General Manager at The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Wow, thank your for the 5 star review and the great comments about our great service, rich history and clean and comfortable rooms. We are so glad that you enjoyed "the Mixing Room" are very unique bar! We hope to welcome you back to The Lexington soon!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Traveled to NYC for a ladies' weekend end of July & stayed here 4 nights in double room. 20 minute drive from LaGuardia, no more than $35 fare for 3 people. As other reviews state, hotel is centrally located within a 15-20 minute walk to Rockefeller Center, UN and Times Square, and Metro on 51st is a 5 minute walk away. Lobby is roomy, has convenient facilities. A Starbucks, and the diner type restaurant and lobby bar (Bar special cocktails were $17!) were both handy in a pinch but overpriced even for NYC standards. Did not try the Chinese restaurant but there's a good Greek seafood restaurant across the street. Rooms were updated and clean, but noise and front desk service were a problem. We had read other reviews regarding noisy rooms on lower floors and requested a higher floor prior to arrival. Did not happen for us, and we checked into a very noisy (construction and traffic at night and early am) corner room 8th floor facing busy streets. After much complaining the next morning, we were promised a high floor the next night- did not happen. The best they had that afternoon was same location corner room on 12th floor, still noisy, but staff did extend free breakfast vouchers for our trouble. The next afternoon, we moved to 21st floor to a disabled access room, spacious and quiet (finally), and wondered why this was not available sooner. This room faced the rear of the property. Note: Front desk required us to be present before 6 pm in order to change rooms each night, more inconvenience, and we moved ourselves each time. Incredibly we slept in three rooms over three nights, a first for me, and an experience I hope not to repeat. Put a small dent into an otherwise great weekend in the Big Apple. We weathered the moves in good spirits, but sadly will not be returning to this property again...Light sleepers beware.

Room Tip: To avoid traffic noise at night and early am, secure a room on high floors.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maidenly M
John T, General Manager at The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for your great comments on our location and modern style. We do apologize for the other challenges that you encountered at our property.
We hope that in the future, you will give us another opportunity to show you that hospitality is our number one priority at The Lexington!
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I thought this was going to be a very nice hotel. It is a classic NY hotel that has quite a reputation as a good place to stay. I found the service to be lacking in lots of ways. I really felt like it was not worth the $400 + room rate for the week that I stayed there.

We arrived a bit early for check in and stored our bags with the bell desk. The bell desk charges $2.00 per bag to store. I found this petty given the ADR we were paying. Even lower mid scale hotels will have this as a service. Check in was slow and only two people were working the desk. It took about 30 min. to check in us and the three groups in front of us. This was way too long.

In addition apparently the hotel does not have a single steamer onsite. I found this shocking given that most hotels that even have 30% business clientele will have this at least in their housekeeping department. I had a suit that did not travel well and could not wait for overnight cleaning and pressing. Lucky for me the Hyatt across the street had one, and they let me use it even thought I was not staying at their hotel.

In addition when calling the front desk or concierge I would get no answer most of the time and have to call back until I reached someone. Seems a little understaffed.

On the good it was clean. The rooms were acceptable, but not charming. Small but not out of line for NYC. Noise level is high, but lower than a lot of midtown locations.

Bottom line. Disappointing for a Marriott family. Hyatt 48 is across the street and much better service.

Room Tip: High floors will get some of the noise down. Their "queen" room is really a full.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
John T, General Manager at The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for your comments about the cleanliness of our hotel and our location. We apologize that we did not supply you the service that you expected. We will discuss all of these issues with our staff and fix these challenges that you encountered. We do have a steamer so I do apologize that the staff did not know this. We hope that you will stay with us again and will give us another opportunity to deliver the service that you expect.
miami, fl
Reviewed 5 August 2014

So I was a little skeptical when it came to staying here especially after reading the mixed reviews. But surprisingly it was really great. I lived in NYC for a couple of years, and after moving away, I tried to come back to visit friends at least once a year. This was my first time staying at the Lexington and it was great.

The location to the subway is not the best however it is still convenient. The rooms are pretty spacious considering you are staying in NYC. As soon as I checked into the hotel, I requested if it was possible to upgrade the room, and the front desk agent tried her best to upgrade. Which she did.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay. The room was great. Location was great. So I will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your great comments. We are so happy that your stay was wonderful and we were able to upgrade your room. We hope since you visit NYC often that we will be your hotel of choice!
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I am a loyal Marriott property traveler. I decided to try out the Lexington, part of Marriott's Autograph Collection, I'm my most recent trip to NYC. I enjoyed the hotel and it's updated décor. The lobby area was very attractive and the room was very clean. As with most old hotels, the bathroom had a little mildew odor to but not anything out of the ordinary. The room amenities for far better than average, much better than the Marriott East Side, where I also spent a night on this trip.

The only potential draw back for some people would be the compactness of the bathroom. If you are a large individual who might be overweight, the bathroom would become very cramped. That doesn't affect me but I could see how that might be a problem for some people.

I enjoyed my stay and definitely would not have a problem staying there again. Also, the price was excellent for Manhattan.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
We are glad that you had a pleasant stay with us during your most recent business trip. We feel that we are a good hotel for business travel. We are glad that you enjoyed our rich history and upgraded décor. Our hotel was built in 1928 so some of our rooms are a little smaller compared to today's standards but as you stated, they are well appointed. We also have rooms that have larger floor plans. We hope to welcome you back soon to The Lexington Hotel for your business or leisure travel.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I spent the last night of my long weekend here and arrived early. The front desk person was new and I really appreciated her getting her mananger to double check the credit card deposit process because I had booked through a third party site; if the wrong entry was inputted, I could have been double billed. They apologized for the time but it was no bother at all and they found me a room immediately so it ended up working out for all of us. They were both very friendly with warm welcoming smiles so this was a plus.

My room was small but in midtown Manhattan I did not expect large. It was tastefully decorated, clean and most importantly, non-smoking! The bathroom had nice amenities and the bed was very comfortable to sleep on. The wireless worked well and because of the loation, the only drawback was that the other buildings kept the room pretty dark most of the time. Again, New York is known for tall buildings so I did not expect Southern sunlight exposure.

Location-wise:perfect. A ten min walk in either direction allowed one to see tons of shops, restaurants, coffee shops, an endless visual feast. Times Square was about a 15 min walk and for transit users like me, there were several lines close by that could take a peson anywhere. In fact, I took the E line to LGA when I checked out and it was very easy, fast, and certainly an economical option if one only has a small carry-on like I did.

Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Maybe higher ones have more access to day light?
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Thank you so much for giving us your full recommendation, we are so happy that you enjoyed your stay! We look forward to welcome you back soon to the Lexington hotel.