“Expensive but Nice Hotel”

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel
Ranked #179 of 468 Hotels in New York City
philadelphia
“Expensive but Nice Hotel”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This is a very nice hotel with an exceptional location right in Times Square. You are a short walk to multiple subways and can get anywhere pretty quickly. The room was small, but the bed was comfortable and the bathroom clean with a lovely large tiled shower. My husband has a thing about bedbugs so he checked meticulously -- no sign of the little buggers. The service was great though like all Marriotts you pay for internet except in the lobby which I don't love. I was here on business so I got a business rate ($250) but even that seemed a lot for the room which wasn't a lot bigger than the room we'd stayed in at the Pod some years ago. I know some people love the location but be aware, Times Square is in the center of everything but it is super crowded. There are lots of nicer, quieter places to stay in NY if you don't like being shoulder to shoulder with people on the street. Just FYI. If I were paying on my own, I don't think I'd pay $250 for this hotel, but I am a notorious cheapskate. It was fine, but to me $250 is a splurge and this hotel doesn't really feel splurgy.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My family made a holiday trip to New York City that included a stay here at the Renaissance Times Square. Overall it was a very enjoyable trip.

As others have mentioned, when talking about this hotel you start the list of pros with its location. It is right there in Times Square close to the shows, great restaurants, and stores. Everything was easily within walking distance. For those things that weren't, a subway stop was just down the way from the doors of the hotel. You just can't get a better location.

The rooms were very comfortable. They were appointed in standard fashion so it's obvious that what you're paying for is the aforementioned location. As we were traveling with children, we had adjoining rooms. Quick note here: the staff seemed almost reluctant to let us know they had adjoining rooms and said something along the lines of "that's not something we advertise." I'm not sure why, as the lack of adjoining rooms would have sent my family to another hotel. As it was, they had them and we were all set. One room had a queen bed and chaise lounge chair while the other had two double beds and a chair. Both rooms had mini refrigerators and large flat-screen TVs. The queen room had a step-in shower and the double room had a standard tub/shower setup. The view from the rooms was nice, though the building across the street was being renovated so the Broadway billboards had been removed. However, there were other billboards to see up and down the street. Beyond that though, there was nothing really notable about the rooms.

I marked everything about the hotel as very good or excellent with the exception of kids activities, since they didn't really seem to have anything for kids. I don't think kids are really the target audience though so it wasn't surprising. Besides, we were there to do activities in the city itself so it didn't matter. But I did want to explain it.

There is a weird sort of positive/negative element to my review that I will now cover. The hotel is set up with check-in on the first floor and the lobby is on the second floor. This is great for security - no problems there. However, the lobby on the second floor served as a lounge as well and it felt a bit weird to sit in the lobby and be served drinks as opposed to going into a separate room. Now, there are two proper lounges on this lobby level at either side of the building. One is called the R Lounge and the other is the VIVID Lounge. On the night that we had drinks in the hotel, the VIVID Lounge appeared to be hosting a private party and the R Lounge appeared to be locked. So the only option was to have drinks in the lobby/lounge on a couch. As I mentioned, it felt weird. During other times of the year this might not be an issue and both lounges may be accessible. The drinks we had were pretty good and priced about where I expected for NYC though I can't remember specifically now. They did give us cards for complimentary hors d'oeuvres and they were very good. Try the chips - they're inexpensive and delicious. And the salmon was outstanding.

The R Lounge did serve a small breakfast buffet in the mornings, and it was free since my family has preferred Marriott reward status. Again though, the door was locked when we walked up so I don't know if it was only for preferred Marriott members or for any hotel guest and if so how much the price of breakfast was. However, this lounge has a view right onto the heart of Times Square and it is an outstanding view that I recommend checking out if you are able.

The staff at the registration desk was very friendly and helpful. The servers in the lounge were helpful but seemed a little more disinterested.

All in all, this was a great place to stay in New York City, again mostly due to the outstanding location for seeing the sights. The price which was in the $500+ range was what I expected for the location and the time of year that we stayed there.

For families with kids, be sure to check out the Toys R Us just down the street. The Hershey store and the M&Ms store were also on the same block as the Renaissance, but if you can only do one I recommend the Hershey store. Also, there were dozens of "costumed characters" all over Times Square trying to get your kids' attention so that you would pose for a picture with them - then they would shake you down for money. They are nasty looking and not very convincing - probably to avoid copyright laws - and do nothing but block the sidewalks. I recommend avoiding them.

Las Cruces, NM
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here over the New Years holiday and enjoyed the location and the view of the ball drop was very good. The rooms were comfortable and clean. My only disappointment was the food which I thought was average. I would consider this a near perfect location if you want to stay around Times Square. There are tons of things to do and theater tickets are available just outside the hotel door to the right where the main Ticket booth is located. The hotel was overpriced for the type of hotel but expected because of the holiday. We would stay there again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed for 7 nights at this amazing hotel. It has a boutique-like feeling for so many rooms. Elevators were fast and uncrowded (except for New Years night, etc.). Atmosphere was relaxed and peaceful in the R-lounge. All encounters with staff and waiters was unsurpassed for such a crowded week to be in NYC. Our room was very clean and comfortable. Room was also very quiet considering we looked right out onto Broadway.

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

This is a great place to stay. At $639/night no bargin, but the location to everything is great. Just a block from subway and 1/2 block to the main portion of time square. Rooms were nice, just NYC small. Concierge lady that was Puerto Rican was outstanding.

• Stayed December 2013
Bedfordshire
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed for 5 nights from the 17th December and were on the 15th floor in Room 1502. Check-in was quick and easy and all the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. The room was large, clean and spacious and we could see one side of Times Square out of the bedroom window. We were at the end of the corridor so the room was also nice and quiet. There is a large fridge in the room to use which is also handy. The only issue we found was that the heating was supplied by hot air rather than a radiator so it dried the air up in the room and additional storage would have been handy. Obviously you cannot beat the location, smack bang in Times Square, so easily accessible to anywhere you need to go in New York, the metro stop is less than a minutes’ walk. We had multiple packages delivered prior and during our stay, for which the hotel handled for us without charge which was most appreciated. One evening we visited the hotel bar as it overlooks Times Square, yes drinks were expensive but you are paying for the view. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to any future guest and would definitely stay again if we return to New York in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of corridor for a quiet location
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kelwez
Gleeson. AZ
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Spent one evening with family at this property and have to say it was magical. I have stayed in Times Square before but never at this property. The staff was amazing and the size of the rooms really impressed me. Rooms were clean, bedding was clean and very comfortable. The lobby bar was amazing as it gave you an unbelievable view of Times Square. I cannot say anything negative about this stay, will visit this hotel again in the future.