“A Great First Visit To New York”

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel
Ranked #185 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“A Great First Visit To New York”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Just returned back from our first 3 trip to New York. We stayed at the Renaissance Times Square based on the previous reviews on Tripadvisor. The news was good , the hotel IS as close to Times Square as you can get, in fact the the view from the hotel bar is directly overlooking Times Square. The room we stayed in was a King room and was perfect for our visit, it was nice and spacious with a great comfy bed and a large bathroom. The maid was superb never saw her but attention to detail was great (even angled our toiletries). The staff in the hotel bar (the R-lounge) were good, I'd advise to book a table if you want to get a table near the window as it is a popular bar. The bar food looked good (we didn't eat there as there are so many other places to try !). The reception area was small but big enough for 7-8 people to wait while being checked in (mentioned as some reviews make it sound like a shoe-box), they were quick and efficient. The hotel always had a couple of door staff to help flag down a taxi which at times could be a tricky about a 5-10 minute wait - New York is a walkers paradise taxi's and tour buses soon get stuck in the manic traffic so not worth the money IMO. The subway is a great way to get round and we both found it safe - staff in the subway were always around to help with direction (London underground staff could learn a thing or two !!). Suffice to say we will be returning and we will be staying at the Renaissance !

Room Tip: We had a room on the 8th Floor and had very little road noise
Green Features: Very good the usual information about changing towels and there we low energy bulbs everywhere
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

This hotel was in the perfect location for us, which is why we chose it! We enjoyed watching Times Square from above! The rooms were very good, clean ,comfortable and with good facilities, the beds were amazing! The concierge was very helpful and extremely knowledgeable and recommended some really good places for us to visit. We loved it!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Anjiib
Markham, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Checked into the hotel Friday night and the girl on the desk Tammy was fantastic. offered us directions to our restaurant and ensured that our family was put together on a floor and were going to be very comfortable. R-Lounge Mauricio was unbeatable! we broke a glass on the floor and he was quick to clean it up and ensure another drink was on the way. he also stood overtop of the glass to ensure that passing guests were not affected! the chef who was on a task force from the Marriott Marquis also came to the table and talked for a bit. he was fantastic as well in offering help and such a nice guy! all in all a fantastic hotel and great stay! Thank you to the team!

Room Tip: Not hotel's fault but billboard across from the hotel was not one that was good for hotel busine...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

I stayed at the Renaissance Times Square for 4 nights at the start of March. For first timers in NYC the location is great, as soon as you step out of the hotel you're right amongst it, in the most iconic and well known tourist area in the world. The room we stayed in was good, clean and relatively spacious with a great view. We stayed on the 11th floor and had no issues with noise.

I have never reviewed any hotel that I have stayed at before, mainly because I have never had any negative experiences that warranted writing about. There were a number of small issues that arose during the trip:

1) Upon arrival the key card machine wasn't working. Reception said somebody would be up straight away to let us in to our room..15 minutes went by and nobody came so we went back down to reception to ask what was going on. After a further 5 minutes eventually a security guard appeared from the room exactly next to ours and let us in (I have no idea what he was doing in there that kept him from coming out and letting us in straight away). After a long day travelling, and all being desperate to shower, change and go out and explore, having to hang around for the best part of half an hour in a corridor outside our room was not the best start to our stay.
2) When the key card machine started working again, the keys themselves were very inconsistent. Out of the 3 we were given, only 1 worked consistently.
3) The barmaid in the lobby was very blunt and rude, it felt like ordering a drink was causing her a massive inconvenience. Not the best customer service by any means.

Despite these issues, overall the stay was fine and on our way back to the UK, my friends and I all said that they we would recommend the hotel, purely based on it's great location. However, the day after I got back from NYC, I had an angry phone call from my landlord demanding to know why I hadn't paid my rent. I was very confused as I had money in my account and a direct debit set up and immediately thought that my card may have been cloned or something similar. After speaking to my bank, they informed me that the Renaissance Times Square had taken £813 from my account, despite me paying for our stay in advance and when checking out, being given a bill that said the amount due was $0.00. I immediately rang the hotel to ask for an explanation and I got passed around to various different people before eventually ending up at the accounting manager's answer machine. I left a voicemail explaining the situation with all my contact details and asked them to call me back immediately. This was the best part of two weeks ago and I have not heard ANYTHING back from the hotel. In order to get my money back as quickly as possible, I contacted British Airways, the company I booked our holiday through, and explained the situation. They apologised profusely on behalf of the hotel and said that they would get the situation rectified as soon as possible. It has taken nearly 2 weeks to get the money back in my account which has inconvenienced me massively. £813 is not a small amount of money and having it taken from my account without authorisation or permission has meant that I had to deal with an irate landlord, miss a good friend's birthday celebrations and also struggle to do my weekly food shop and buy enough petrol to commute to work.

The fact that the hotel has taken this large amount of money, despite me never giving them my bank account details, handing them my credit card, entering my pin or signing anything is disgraceful. What's worse, is that I have not received anything from the hotel in terms of an explanation or apology.

This experience has taken the shine of what was otherwise a fantastic trip to New York and I am bitterly disappointed by the hotel's lack of customer service.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank ChrisHicks3108
Olivia R, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank you for your review and sharing your feedback on what appears to have been an unfortunate experience at our hotel. We deeply regret the instance that occurred with our security staff and with your final bill. Please accept our sincere apology for the service failures. We reviewed the billing error and have made the proper procedures to ensure an instance like this does not occur again. We do hope you will come and stay with us again so that we can provide you with the amazing service we have to offer.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel and probably the last time. The location is great if you are in town to see a show--every theatre is within a short walking distance of the hotel. The infamous TKTS is located in front of the hotel. Once you arrive at the hotel you enter into a very small lobby to check-in. You then will take an elevator to the "Lobby" level of the hotel. On this floor you will find a restaurant at one end and a lounge at the other end of the floor. To get to your room you must take another elevator--located in the "Lobby" level. The room is standard with two beds, a bathroom, television, closet, standard hotel refrigerator [not stocked with anything], and the usual coffee/tea service. There were two bottles of Evian water in the room that was priced at $8 each. The room [1912] overlooked Broadway and had a nice view. The bathroom was okay. Use caution getting in and out of the shower--the tub is rather high and I did find it awkward. The bathroom door is a little heavy and doesn't want to close on the first or second try but it eventually did close. The beds were uncomfortable--the bed I used the mattress needed to be upgraded. My pillows were completely flat! The morning we checked out, the smoke detector started to beep because the battery was dying.

It was warm in the room and it was hard to keep it cool. Adjusted the thermostat but like the refrigerator it was warm. Also, the worst part is that no one told us there was a marathon the next morning and that music would be blaring from Times Square before 8 AM. The front desk should have informed their guests.

The walls are thin and we did hear our neighbors beside us and people across the hall. In general I would say that the rooms are tired and need an update. But then again, I'm not coming to NYC to stay in my room the entire time so the room was adequate.

The lounge was okay for a nightcap and some quick bites. It overlooks Times Square and TKTS.

The staff were okay. I have had better treatment at other hotels within the city by hotel staff.

I would give this hotel 2 1/2 stars but that option is not available.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a quite room, I'm not sure this is the place for you. I was on the 19th f...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank sjbolden
Jennifer D, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Thank you for choosing the Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel. We appreciate your detailed feedback regarding your stay. We are looking into the items you mentioned in your guest room to correct and address these issues so we can improve the overall guest experience. I apologize that you were not notified of the marathon upon arrival. Your feedback has been shared with the front desk as a learning opportunity to provide local information at check in. We value your feedback and hope you will reconsider the Renaissance New York Times Square for future trips to NYC.
Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stayed 3 nights at the Renaissance Times Square, for a business trip. We wanted location right on Times Square - we couldn't ask for better hotel. Rooms are very nice, great lobby (kind of boutique). Breakfast was fine. Overall great experience with two small issues: (1) I never understand why you have to pay extra to get wifi in your room. It doesn't make any sense when you pay so much for that room already, and when it is free in any coffee shop world wide. (2) When making reservation I asked for a late check out (4:00pm - my flight left that evening) and on check out I realize they charge me an extra 99$ for 4 hours. Again, that is the extra mile they could walk to make it a perfect experience. Other then that, it is a great stay and I highly recommend the hotel for anyone who wish to stay by Times Square.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Amir Y
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

We couldn't have picked a better location for our stay in New York. We were right in Times Square, within good walking distance to trains and attractions. Our room was clean and modern and had a great view.The bed and pillows were very comfortable. Staff were friendly and helpful. We were able to drop off our bags prior to check-in so we could start our sights seeing which was really handy. Although a bit pricey (isn't everything in New York) it was well worth it.

Room Tip: We had a room on a higher floor, the noise didn't bother us at all.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family