“Very loud” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #180 of 467 Hotels in New York City
San Francisco, California
“Very loud”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

I had a nice room with two double beds. The mattress and pillows were comfortable. I stayed for a week with a large tour group, and therefore couldn't change hotels in spite of the fact that I was exhausted from not sleeping well due to the noise. The walls were thin and I could hear the kids staying next door laughing and talking until late at night. My room was directly opposite the giant Morgan Stanley building's ticker, see the photos, which made a grinding noise. There was drilling at night coming from across the street as well. Not to mention the street noise itself. I finally bought ear plugs, which helped. There is a nice, small bar in the lobby. The best thing is the convenient location. Ask for a room away from Broadway.

Room Tip: Get a room away from Broadway.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jennifer D, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay. We are happy that you enjoyed the hotel location, bar, and comfortable beds. I sincerely apologize that there were some noise disruptions during your stay. Even in "the city that never sleeps," we want our guests to be able to rest and recharge. Please contact the hotel directly prior to your next visit so we can make sure you have a fabulous experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

I had such a great first impression of this hotel. Decided to make an overnight trip to NYC for my birthday with my husband and 6 year old daughter. I arrived around noon on Saturday 4/19 and was able to check in with no wait. I wish I caught the girl at the front desks name, but unfortunately I did not. I told her how much my daughter lives NYC and if we could have a nice view. She was able to give us a nice view of Times Square and sent up some milk and cookies. It was a very nice gesture considering how busy she was. I never got to thank her so I hope she sees this!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Mags898
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

My wife and I decided last minute to take in a Broadway show, have dinner and then enjoy the Easter "Parade" and attend mass at St. Pat's. The convenience and quality of the Renaissance made it a perfect choice. Check-in was smooth, albeit it a little chaotic out front with tour buses and all but the professional bell staff took our luggage and parked our car painlessly. We arrived early (about 12:30PM) and were not anticipating our room to be ready. We went to 2PM matinee and after the show, our room keys were waiting for us. They had called me during to tell me the room was now ready. We checked in (corner King room) clean, well kept, overlooking 7th Ave. Went for a cocktail in the R Lounge overlooking times square and had an appetizer and a drink. What a view! (the waitress found out it was my wife's birthday and also brought us a small desesert plate - on the house). Excellent location - very convenient to the entire theatre district as well as Rockefeller Center. Adequate breakfast buffett in the morning. Very friendly staff. Great stay. Smooth checkout. We will definately return on our next trip to the city.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Gainesville, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Yes, the location is excellent, BUT, compared to the experience a guest once enjoyed in years past, it is only average on all other points, save location. As a Marriott Platinum Elite, and a multiple repeat visitor to this property, we will not return again. There is no longer a 'personal' connection with the property, meaning rarely if at all does anyone say 'hello' upon re-entry to the hotel. Any personal connections are made with the bar tender, or concierge, and of course those are initiated by the guest. Management is rarely in sight, or appears to be in contact with guests. With the conversion of the restaurant into the 'R Lounge', a continuous trail of non-guests stream in and out of the lobby, and with the previously 'room key required' room access via elevator no longer functioning, security is almost non-apparent. In short, save for the kind African gentleman in the lounge at breakfast, there is little else that would draw me back again. At one time the name Renaissance in hotels meant something unique, a slight distinction from the crowd. Sadly, this property has no distinction other than it's location, which is as most reviewers attest, quite extraordinary for Times Square.

Room Tip: Feather pillows are puny and worthless...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Jennifer D, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel. We value your feedback and are taking appropriate steps to address the service and security suggestions in your post. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the location and hope you will reconsider the Renaissance New York Times Square for future trips to New York City.
Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Great location. I liked the décor of the lobby and the bar has the best view of times squares. I thought the staff were pleasant. I think the rooms are abit dated, the carpet is horrible and the furniture is old. The bathroom is nice and modern however. I would recommend staying here but I think the rooms could have abit of a facelift. Otherwise really nice hotel and the bed was very comfy.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

I just spent three nights at this hotel with my family (including 75 year old mother, 8 year old niece and 11 year old nephew.) This is a wonderful property. The entire staff is so helpful and kind. Not once did we encounter anyone who worked there who didn't treat us like royalty. The rooms are very clean and the beds very comfortable. The view in the R Lounge is unbelieveable. The location couldn't be better. No problem with noise at night from the street. I HIGHLY recommend this property.

Room Tip: High floor is nice for views.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kelleybird2014
Louisville, KY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

I stayed here recently on a business trip. The hotel is perfectly located if you like the Times Square area, as I do. Also, the price was rather cheap when I booked compared to comparably-rated hotels.

The room was clean, the bed was comfortable. The only negatives were the low shower water pressure and a couple of nuisance items (the "sleep" button on the remote didn't function, and Marriott properties across the country seem committed to providing the cheapest ironing board covers they can find, although this one was at least mediocre rather than terrible).

I would stay here again, especially if I continue to find as good a rate as I did on this trip.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business