“Fantastic place to stay”

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel
Ranked #180 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Fantastic place to stay”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

One if not THE best hotels I have stayed at. Went with 3 girls to celebrate my 50th birthday my friend emailed before we arrived to ask if there was anything they could do to make our stay memorable. Jennifer who emailed back changed our booking to a higher floor( which you do generally pay extra for) and offered breakfast for 2 of the 4 days we were staying. On arriving the staff on the desk (florinda apologies if I have spelt wrong) were very polite and checked us all in very quickly. Later that evening we were sent to our room a bottle of champagne and some chocolate covered strawberrys with a note wishing me a happy birthday and wishing us all a enjoyable time in NewYork (very thoughtful). We also enjoyed our breakfast in the VIP lounge overlooking Times Square. We ate in the restaurant one evening and had the NewYork steak the meal was delicious. The rooms were quite large plenty of room especially with 4 in our room no problems very clean and each day beds made and room left clean. We spoke to the concierge on a number of occasions and she was very helpful. Overall we never encountered a complaint and the manager should be very proud of all of the staff who were very courteous and polite at all times. I would definately recommend this hotel and would certainly return BRILLIANT

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank donna30_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This hotel is perfectly located in the heart of Times Square. I recently stayed here with my husband and 2 kids ages 7 and 9, and for their first trip to the Big Apple it was perfect. We were here for 5 days and got a subway pass since our plan was to focus on all the sights in Manhattan plus the Statue of Liberty. Being in Times Square feels like the city never sleeps which is amazing. The hotel put us in a high room away from the noise which was great with the kids. The breakfast was great each morning with great staff. The room was very comfortable with 2 double beds. We walked to 2 shows and to several sights and for others we took the trains which were super easy. The R Lounge at the hotel was great with great service and food and a view of all of Times Square. Will definitely come back here again!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Auburn, Alabama
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This hotel is the PERFECT location on times square! The staff is extremely friendly & the customer care is impeccable. The hotel itself is very chic! Be sure to eat in the R Louge that overlooks Times Square. Also order the crab-cakes & Philly cheese steak sliders DELICIOUS!! I cant rave enough about this place. Once I returned home I noticed I forgot my DSLR camera charger & the hotel "loss prevention" department mailed it to me by Fedex ASAP! Best hotel to celebrate my 30th!! Thanks so much!!

Room Tip: Be sure to request Times Square view & stay in higher #
1 Thank Mereisha
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I had a nice room with two double beds. The mattress and pillows were comfortable. I stayed for a week with a large tour group, and therefore couldn't change hotels in spite of the fact that I was exhausted from not sleeping well due to the noise. The walls were thin and I could hear the kids staying next door laughing and talking until late at night. My room was directly opposite the giant Morgan Stanley building's ticker, see the photos, which made a grinding noise. There was drilling at night coming from across the street as well. Not to mention the street noise itself. I finally bought ear plugs, which helped. There is a nice, small bar in the lobby. The best thing is the convenient location. Ask for a room away from Broadway.

Room Tip: Get a room away from Broadway.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Jennifer D, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay. We are happy that you enjoyed the hotel location, bar, and comfortable beds. I sincerely apologize that there were some noise disruptions during your stay. Even in "the city that never sleeps," we want our guests to be able to rest and recharge. Please contact the hotel directly prior to your next visit so we can make sure you have a fabulous experience.
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I had such a great first impression of this hotel. Decided to make an overnight trip to NYC for my birthday with my husband and 6 year old daughter. I arrived around noon on Saturday 4/19 and was able to check in with no wait. I wish I caught the girl at the front desks name, but unfortunately I did not. I told her how much my daughter lives NYC and if we could have a nice view. She was able to give us a nice view of Times Square and sent up some milk and cookies. It was a very nice gesture considering how busy she was. I never got to thank her so I hope she sees this!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Mags898
Connecticut
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My wife and I decided last minute to take in a Broadway show, have dinner and then enjoy the Easter "Parade" and attend mass at St. Pat's. The convenience and quality of the Renaissance made it a perfect choice. Check-in was smooth, albeit it a little chaotic out front with tour buses and all but the professional bell staff took our luggage and parked our car painlessly. We arrived early (about 12:30PM) and were not anticipating our room to be ready. We went to 2PM matinee and after the show, our room keys were waiting for us. They had called me during to tell me the room was now ready. We checked in (corner King room) clean, well kept, overlooking 7th Ave. Went for a cocktail in the R Lounge overlooking times square and had an appetizer and a drink. What a view! (the waitress found out it was my wife's birthday and also brought us a small desesert plate - on the house). Excellent location - very convenient to the entire theatre district as well as Rockefeller Center. Adequate breakfast buffett in the morning. Very friendly staff. Great stay. Smooth checkout. We will definately return on our next trip to the city.

Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Yes, the location is excellent, BUT, compared to the experience a guest once enjoyed in years past, it is only average on all other points, save location. As a Marriott Platinum Elite, and a multiple repeat visitor to this property, we will not return again. There is no longer a 'personal' connection with the property, meaning rarely if at all does anyone say 'hello' upon re-entry to the hotel. Any personal connections are made with the bar tender, or concierge, and of course those are initiated by the guest. Management is rarely in sight, or appears to be in contact with guests. With the conversion of the restaurant into the 'R Lounge', a continuous trail of non-guests stream in and out of the lobby, and with the previously 'room key required' room access via elevator no longer functioning, security is almost non-apparent. In short, save for the kind African gentleman in the lounge at breakfast, there is little else that would draw me back again. At one time the name Renaissance in hotels meant something unique, a slight distinction from the crowd. Sadly, this property has no distinction other than it's location, which is as most reviewers attest, quite extraordinary for Times Square.

Room Tip: Feather pillows are puny and worthless...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Jennifer D, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel. We value your feedback and are taking appropriate steps to address the service and security suggestions in your post. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the location and hope you will reconsider the Renaissance New York Times Square for future trips to New York City.