“Right in the middle of Times Square”

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel
Ranked #180 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Orlando, Florida
“Right in the middle of Times Square”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This hotel usually prices above what I like to pay but I got a great deal and we stayed here over Presidents Day weekend. For us, seeing shows is the reason for the trip. This hotel is centrally located for the theater district. The staff are very pleasant and professional, unlike some other properties in the area. They were even polite when I returned at 3AM on our first night and forgot my room number (a quick check of my ID and I was on my way). The main floor was often filled either with foreign tourists or people enjoying the lounge so we didn't linger there for long. The health club was well taken care for and usually empty. If the price was right or no object, I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
california
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is a yearly update on the hotel we visit every year for the last 5 years. Ideally located in Times Square, this property offers the best in service and location to enjoy NYC. This hotel is located on a small block next to Jamba Juice and far enough from Olive Garden. It is close to every subway uptown or downtown. The entry may seem small, but there us a reason....checking is located at the entry, and you have to take an elevator to the main lobby of the hotel...this provides security and keeps the riff raff out. The main lobby is where the restaurant, bar and concierge is located. 3 elevators whisk you to the floor of your choice. We had an early check in 8 am...Joe at check in was able to find us a corner room on the 8th floor. The room was a junior suite with nice bathroom ,king bed, and plenty of room to stretch out. The fitness area is what I like most....free headphones to watch tv on the machines, plenty of towels, water machine, and fresh apples everyday. I always judge a hotel by its fitness room....Renaissance does a great job at maintaining..
Manii, who is one of the valet/bell person, has seen us every year and always welcomes us with a greeting...he must see thousands of people, but seems to always remember my wife and I when we visit.
Whether this is your first time to NYC or if you are a frequent visitor....this is the place to be in the heart of Times Square...
Jamba Juice is nearby...TKTS is where you can buy theatre tickets for 40 to 50 pct off!....food emporium nearby...Sullivan's Bakery for the best croissants and bombolini...Margon for Cuban sandwich and roasted chicken with rice, beans, and plantains...Tri Tip in Rockefeller center for the biggest salad..and finally on Lafayette street Bobby Flays Gato and the Library at the Public for great food and 5 star service!
I'll be back next year!

Room Tip: Room 817 corner room...great view and very quiet but close to elevator
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TRAVELWAY52
Westlake Village
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I was pleasantly surprised how relaxing this hotel was considering it was literally in the middle of Times Sq. The area where you check in is very small and modest looking. But once we were sent upstairs to the lobby it was another world. The lobby is decorated with a very artistic flare. It was so interesting. This area is very comfortable and has everything you need to hang out, whether you are waiting for your room, on the internet, having a drink or a meal. The view from the R-Lounge was amazing!! The service was impeccable!! Our room was quite. The bed comfortable. The bathroom was huge and very accomadating. Loved it! The breakfast was perfect. The biggest issue I had was the work/desk area in our room that has a strip of outlets to hook up internet, charging phones etc did not work. Only a couple electrical plugs actually worked in our room. That was a little frustrating. And the coffee pot was not stocked with coffee, so I had to track down a housekeeper first thing in the morning. Other than that we loved our time there and we will go back. :)

Room Tip: I always ask for a high room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kym C
Olivia R, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay here at the Renaissance Times Square! Our view from R Lounge is definitely one you cannot forget! Thank you for your excellent feedback! We hope you will come back and visit us, and we will be sure to have your coffee stocked.
Florida
Reviewed 6 August 2014

THIS is where to stay in Time Square. It is a gorgeous, trendy, beautiful hotel. Service was top line, and the rooms were spacious. You had the feeling of being off in your own world in the middle of NYC. Everything about the hotel is 100% from the location, to the service, to the lobby, to the decorations....my new favorite!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jules18587
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I,ve just returned from a one week stay at this property. My feelings are a bit mixed - probably maybe because I expected much more. It is as others have mentioned , more of a boutique hotel. The lobby is tiny and a really quiet place shut off by all the cacophony from outside. You take a lift to the lobby level and then again another lift to your rooms. I was told I had been upgraded as a Platinum Elite member to a junior suite. The name is a total misnomer as its just another corner room with an extra one feet of space. I was also disappointed to be given a room on the lowest floor whereby I could only see the air-con machines from my window. The decor is average and the rooms look quite outdated. Bathroom was really small and had a shower instead of a bath.
As an elite member the perks are not bad actually. Free internet and free breakfast in the lovely R-lounge facing Times Square. However its served only on weekdays and the lounge is packed to capacity with items running out of stock and no cutlery present either.
Likewise you are given a coupon for a free appetizer from the room service menu or in the lounge for four days a week. Weekends means you get nothing and earn a bonus of 2000 points in lieu of no breakfast. You can print out your boarding passes free of charge from the business center
What makes this property stand out above the neighboring MM is the level of service of the staff. Each and every person was so nice and sweet and very helpful. And obviously the location is unbeatable if its Times Square that you are looking for.
Would I return again to this property? Hmmm...probably not and might try staying in the JWM to see how it feels to be away from Times Square!

Room Tip: High floors
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank DXBDOC
Jennifer D, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Renaissance New York Times Square. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the R Lounge with panoramic views of Times Square. Your positive comments regarding staff service were shared with the ambassadors in each department and they were celebrated for making a difference in your stay. We are taking steps to address the areas for improvement and look forward to having you back as our guest in the future! We appreciate your loyalty and thank you for taking the time to review your stay on Trip Advisor.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Loved everything about this hotel.
The view from our room wasn't fab, but when you see the view that you get from the lounge over-looking Times Square, you could happily people watch for some time! I can only imagine how wonderful it must be in there on New Year's Eve, with a view directly out at the ball. When you look up at the window from outside, you wouldn't even know the room was there. Ate complimentary breakfast in there each morning, and it was a perfect start to our day!
Loved the walks through Central Park, and enjoyed stopping for a cool drink at the Boat House. And would definately recommend going on the Big Bus Tour, as the guides point out all the best spots. We only bought a one day pass, but would buy for longer next time, as it's a good way to get around, hopping on and off. Great Hotel and loved New York, but a few days was plenty with all the hustle and bustle.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank yvonnemckinlay
Sandgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We were with a group which were booked into this hotel; I normally wouldn't stay in Times Square as it's too busy. Staff were very friendly, especially Omar, the concierge, who seemed to know everything! We stayed on the 16th floor so had a fabulous view although the windows are tinted so it always looks like the weather is overcast! We stayed 4 nights at this hotel and our room was always spotlessly clean.

Good sized room (not sure the class of the room, but I think we were in a deluxe) and very comfy bed. Air con very efficient and great filter coffee machine in room. The bathroom was clean, with plenty of towels; it was a huge shower (no bath) with a seat in it. Unfortunately they supply Aveda toiletries, which I'm allergic to so glad I checked this out before arrival and brought my own shampoo etc. Great hairdryer though (actually powerful, unlike a lot of hotels).

There didn't seem to be any info in the room about hotel facilities, room service menu etc, which was disappointing as I like reading those things. Also, no free WiFi (what is it about American hotels - surely it costs peanuts to provide basic connection?), nowhere in the hotel. Decor was interesting to say the least and you have to take one of two elevators from the lobby, then change to another set of elevators to get to the rooms. I'm sure there are stairs from the lounge to the lobby, but I couldn't find them.
Breakfast was included for us and was very good. Servers were lovely and if they didn't have what you wanted on the buffet, they were very happy to get it for you. The usual choice at the buffet but certainly adequate.
There is a small bar in the lounge area and then at one end is a bar with fantastic views and we were lucky to catch the live music they have once or twice a month. We did find that the bars closed very early during the week though. We'd often come back from a gig after 11, wanting to have a nightcap but everything was closed!

So, if you want to be right in the heart of the action but have some space and a bit of 'art' then this is a good place to stay.

Room Tip: HIgher floors have great views.
Green Features: The usual thing about reusing towels, however, they actually did reuse the towels. A lot of hotels I've stayed in just replace them whether you ask to or not.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends