“Good midtown option”

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel
Ranked #180 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times over many years and have always found it to be more than adequate. My room on this visit was neat and clean, and relatively large by NYC standards. For my business purposes in Manhattan, it is centrally-located.

If you are here as a tourist, the location puts you right in the heart of Times Square and the Theater District. Really good dining options nearby are few.

There is a fair amount of street noise in the rooms facing 7th Ave, even on the higher floors. It was not loud enough to interrupt sleep.

Overall, a good option in an area of NYC with few good options.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank D01234
There are newer reviews for Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Rooms aren't great in terms of decor, but they are clean and you can't beat the location. Was also surprised at how quiet the hotel is considering it's smack dab in the heart of Times Square. Marriott Rewards Gold and Platinum members don't get free breakfast at this location on weekends but they comp 1,000 MR points and 2 32oz bottles of water instead which seemed like an OK deal until we went to the restaurant the first morning and found out that the buffet was $30 per person! But that was the only downside of our stay. I used MR points for this stay and would definitely stay here again if using points. But if I am paying out of pocket would probably choose the Ritz Carlton instead since the price is pretty comparable.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank romadaro
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This has to be one of the best hotels I have stayed in. As usual Marriott never ceases to impress me with their great customer service, but the Hotel itself was perfectly situated for a New York Trip. It is literally right on Times Square. When you walk out the Front Door you are on the south side of the square. As you turn right you see the New Years Ball on top of the building and Huge TV Billboards as far as you can see. It does not take long to see all you want to see on times square, so its nice to have a subway location just at the back of the building. Its also extremely easy to catch a cab at this point. Two blocks East and you are at Rockefeller Plaza and the NBC/Today Show Studio. 12 blocks up and you are in Central park. A short subway trip or taxi ride and your at the Empire State, Union Station, or the Museum of Natural History where they filmed "Night at the Museum". We also walked to the Gershwin Theater in suits and dresses on a wonderfully cool evening in Late July to watch "Wicked" from our hotel. We ended the evening in the R Lounge at the Hotel where they have surround windows for you to really take in the Times Square Lights. I highly recommend staying here when you visit New York as your base of operation. We started to use Marriott Hotel brands almost exclusively about 3 years ago, and we have the Chase Marriott Credit card. This has saved us a lot of money and opened up some great locations and hotels for our family trips.

Room Tip: The Hotel has some great rooms on the end with Surpurb views of New York, but they are Premium. Our...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Buzzard92
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here 4th of July weekend for his birthday. I made a note in the reservation that it was his birthday, and shortly after checking in, they brought up chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of champagne - this was a lovely touch! He loves Times Square (I hate it, but it was for his birthday after all), so the hotel is a perfect location if you want to be right in the middle of Times Square/theater district. The hotel concierge was nice, but we didn't end up eating at the place he recommended our first night (it just wasn't what we had in mind, though the restaurant ambiance was quite charming). We saw Rocky on Broadway that Saturday night (show was great), and we ate at Patsy's beforehand, which was fantastic. Can't go wrong with a traditional NYC Italian restaurant. Everything was within walking distance, and I recommend walking to Hell's Kitchen for meals (everything in Times Square is too touristy in my opinion). My only gripe would be the view from our room, or lack thereof. This is probably luck of the draw if you don't pay extra for a stellar view, so if you're staying in Times Square and a great view is important, you may want to consider shelling out some extra money to pay for it. Other than that, everything was great!

Room Tip: - If you want a great Times Square view, try and ask in advance or consider paying extra for a room...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2014

As others have noted, the hotel is right on Times Square. After checking in on the ground floor, and them very nice accommodating an earlier check-in, we went up to the true lobby on the third floor. A quiet little oasis with a bar and lounge, and the access point to the elevators for the rest of the hotel.
Despite the size of the hotel, we never had a wait for an elevator going from the street level to the lobby, or the lobby to the room. (A contrast from the Marriott across the square, where the wait can be very annoying.) The room are a decent size for NY, and the bathroom is actually quite large for NY. We had a tub and a decent view. Although we were only on the 8th floor, the street noise was minimal and the bed was very, very comfortable.
The room came with a fridge which was nice to keep a few cool drinks and had a safe large enough for a lap top. (A 35 mm camera might not fit.) I was working in the room when the maid came by and she quietly cleaned the room around me.
The rooms are a little dated, and other than the front desk staff we didn't encounter the staff much. Overall, a nice stay, nice location if you want to be in the theater district or it is near one's office, and alway a good place to people watch.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Charlie_Hotlanta
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Good location in Times Square. The lounge overlooking Times Square is very nice for a drink. The décor in the lobby is trendy. The rooms, however, show a lot of wear and dirt. The carpet in the two rooms we had were a bit threadbare and dirty. For the price, it was disappointing. Stayed in this same hotel two or three years ago and it was in much better condition. It's time for an update.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank eahearn
Jennifer D, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you for discovering the Renaissance New York Times Square. I'm glad you enjoyed the lounge and lobby decor. I am sorry for the issues in your room. I have shared your feedback with the housekeeping department to improve the condition of the guest rooms. We appreciate that you took the time to share your experience at the hotel and hope you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

After spending 5 nights in the Renaissance in December 2013 I couldn't help but feel disappointed with my stay. The location is perfect, it really is right in the heart of times square.
The room was nice, but nothing special, could have done with a bit of an update to be honest.
The most disappointing thing for me and my girlfriend was the fact that the main reason we decided to stay at this hotel was to make the most of the restaurant which overlooks times square, and we weren't able to eat in the restaurant at all during the five nights we were there because it was booked up for corporate parties every night. I understand that the view the restaurant offers will put in high demand, although i feel that the hotel should be putting their guests first and ensuring they get to eat there, even if they limited corporate parties to every other night.
Overall the staff weren't too bad, although I wasn't very impressed when eating in the other hotel restaurant the waiter opened the mayonnaise jar with his teeth.
I will add that the hotel was very clean.
New York in itself was as I expected.....Amazing. I will definately be visiting again, but unfortunately I doubt I will be staying at the renaissance.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Jennifer D, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thank you for choosing the Renaissance NY Times Square Hotel for your December vacation to New York City. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our fabulous location in the middle of Times Square. We apologize for the limited R Lounge availability during your stay. We hope to have you as our guest again in the future and will be delighted to make a reservation for you and your girlfriend at the R Lounge with breathtaking views of Times Square.