“Best Value in NYC”

Ranked #387 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Washington, D.C.
“Best Value in NYC”
Reviewed 1 November 2010

We have stayed at the Riverside Tower four times, with each stay being for a week. So we know the hotel and the neighborhood very well. We have had very positive experiences each time.
We know of no other clean hotel in New York priced this low with a private bathroom.
The rooms are very clean. We have never seen any sign of insects. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The daily maid service very efficient. The other guests are generally European budget travelers and quite congenial.
The rooms are tiny. MAKE CERTAIN YOU GET A SUITE. They only cost an additional $10. Staying in a tiny double room would be very difficult for two people. With a suite you get two small rooms: one for sleeping, another for relaxing. You get two TV's, two sinks, two bureaus, a small frig, a microwave, a table and two chairs.
The neighborhood, the Upper West Side, is one of the best in NYC. The hotel is right on Riverside Park and near the Hudson River. Within two blocks is H&H Bagels, perhaps the best bagel bakery in the city. Every night on our way back to the hotel we stop for our breakfast bagels. Also within two blocks is Zabars, a legendary NY food store and great for coffee and pastries. Within a few blocks are many great, moderately priced ethnic restaurants. Three block away is the #1 subway line which provides a quick trip to Lincoln Center, Times Square, Penn Station, and Greenwich Village.
The hotel is very basic, the rooms are tiny. But it is a clean, friendly place to stay in a fantastic and very safe neighborhood.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sptravelers5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Andoain
Reviewed 29 October 2010

We have to say the hotel was much better than expected. We specially appreciated the kindness of the people at reception and the good location: close to the subway, to Zabar´s, to Big Nick´s, to Central Park...

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank AndoainArantxa
Atlanta
Reviewed 13 October 2010

My sister and I chose this hotel for its bargain price and amazing proximity to a bereaved family member, as we were in NY to help her sort out some matters. We took a "suite" with a connecting bath. We felt we were back in college - long ago, before students were coddled. The TV had antenna only! Beds and bed coverings were Third World. We did have a nice view of Riverside Park from a dingy window. Manhattan is expensive, but visitors should find another way to save, perhaps staying in the suburbs and commuting, or finding a bed and breakfast in the city.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank sevencousins

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2010

I've stayed in New York seven or eight times over the years and keep coming back to the Riverside, having been unfaithful with the expensive and cheaper alternatives a couple of times. My conclusion has been that you get what you pay for. I've become increasingly surprised by some of my fellow guests' complaints about a number of things: room size, cleanliness, comfort. I've never heard anyone complain about the things that really matter to me from a New York City hotel: location, safety and reliability. It's nobody's idea of a perfect room for the night but: the staff are great, I've never had any check in problems(reserve online through their own site -credit card but no deposit needed), the rooms are hygenic rather than pristine, it's a block away from the 79th Subway, a block away from Zabars, four blocks from Central Park and the lift works. If it sounds like I'm damning with faint praise, I'm not. You'll really struggle to find anything better for the price. Believe me, I've tried.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
4 Thank richard_twineham
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 8 October 2010

I hope all the negative posters out there stay away so that there is room for those who appreciate a good bargain. Reading their reviews left me a little afraid of what i might find, but I once stayed at the Hotel Carter and nothing could be worse than that. I found the Riverside Towers to be more than adequate for a whirlwind visit to NYC. The place was clean, great location, elevator, wifi in lobby,close to buslines and subway. with friendly helpful staff, I had a suite which was 2 small rooms divided by the small but hot shower and toliet.. There were Tv's in both rooms. This room might be a little crowded for 3 adults equipped with a double bed and a single but fine for a couple. Remember this is a converted dormitory. The addition of a small fridge and microwave also made life easier. the best part for me was the view of central park, the hudson river and the NJ skyline. For the amount of time i spent in the room, there is nothing to complain about. i did find myself a little concerned about the locks on the door, they did not seem adequate but did the trick for me that week. I would not hesitate.to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Belle56
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 23 September 2010

location & view are perfect,
staff very friendly & very helpful,
double rooms small, therefore suite advisable for 2.

in short:
quite simple, but absolutely sufficient

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Cobleskill, New York
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Some people go to New York to stay in opulent hotels. I am not one of those people. I go to New York for its museums, theater, parks and ambiance. A barebones hotel is fine with me. Hotels in New York are crazy expensive, for the most part. This one is not. It is in a nice neighborhood, on the Upper West Side, just blocks from the American Museum of Natural History.
The hotel is clean, the staff were pleasant, but don't plan on holding a party in your room, they're too small. But it was great for us and perhaps it will be for you, too.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple