“Excellent hotel in cute and convenient neighborhood!”

Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #126 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Memphis, Tennessee
“Excellent hotel in cute and convenient neighborhood!”
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We loved this hotel! The room was more roomy than I expected for a Manhattan hotel, and everything was clean and comfortable. The location was excellent for us--a short walk got us to the Empire State Building, the NY Public Library, and Grand Central. There are several good restaurants within walking distance, and the one in the hotel was good, too. The only drawback was that the pillows we requested when we made our reservation were not in the room, but they were there by the time we returned from sightseeing on the first evening. We will definitely stay there when we go back to NYC!

1 Thank memphisjenn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
England
Reviewed 17 July 2011

The room was very large with a view of the Empire State Building. The service was excellent, the staff from reception to the cleaning staff very attentive and very helpful and the view from the rooftop bar...WOW!
I can't fault this hotel. I am so glad I ignored the one or two negative reviews (BTW the elevators ARE quick and you'd have to be pretty lazy to object to the location as it's on Lexington and Grand Central Station is a short walk away).
I would offer one piece of advice to the hotel manager - offer free internet access. That was my only complaint.

Room Tip: They asked me on arrival if I wanted a quiet room or a view. I asked for a view but the room was qui...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank knobbystiles
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2011
Dear Knobbystiles,
Thank you for your recent stay and the great review. We appreciate your comments on our large rooms, helpful and attentive staff, great location to Grand Central Station and great views of Empire State Building from our rooms and from our roof top bar.
Please know we offer complimentary Wi-Fi in our lobby.
We enjoyed having you as our guest and hope to see you again very soon.
philadelphia, pa
Reviewed 16 July 2011

I've stayed three times and the Shelburne has never let me down. Smaller scale NYC hotel, so it never feels crowded. Great behind the front desk staff works to make sure everyone gets taken care of and is gracious, even when there's a line. The bathrooms are nicely modernized, with really nice faucets, granite countertops, and my FAVORITE: dimmer switches. So you don't go blind (or blind anyone you're sharing the room with) if you use the loo in the middle of the night. Great black out curtains and if you're lucky you'll get a room facing into the central atrium (well, it's just like an air shaft, but bigger) which means you have one of the rarest things: a QUIET room in NYC! The bedding is great, downy soft mattresses, pillows, a long bolster and a cute little embroidered dolly if you need one or are traveling w/a kid it probably comes in handy. I had a problem with my deadbolt, the lock didn't line up with the socket-y bit so that was a little hassle, but I figured it out. In general, Comfortable rooms, love the little reading lights on the beds so if one person wants to sleep the other can still read. The roof top bar wasn't in my schedule but it seemed like fun and the restaurant Rare was constantly busy so it must be good. Easy neighborhood to get around if you need a base of operations. The Lexington Ave subway is perfect and the M101 and 103 go straight down to the Village, the lower East side, etc. My one wish: oh, if only there was free wifi! I bit the bullet and paid the $13.95 but in this day and age there's no excuse to charge for wifi. There's a Starbucks just about three blocks away though, so if you don't need internet access past their closing time (which I did) you might just as well get a cup of coffee and work there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the internal atrium if you want the quietest stay!
1 Thank Philadelphia_PaJay
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Our trip was just for a vacation in the city. I had searched for hotels in New York City high and low looking for a good value, but a nice, luxurious place to stay. We definitely found the spot!

We hired a car service from LGA airport to the hotel which was only $36, but if you opt for a cab ride, our friends said they paid $33. The location on 37th and Lex was perfect. Cabs are always available in the area, but the subways are conveniently located, as well. Grand Central Station was only a few blocks away (about a 5 minute walk) and there were a lot of close restaurants, pubs, shops and is in a nice neighborhood. There wasn't a lot of street noise that I could hear from our floor (11th). Our view was magnificent and the rooftop bar was AMAZING! We never ate at the hotel restaurant, but it was always packed which I take as a good sign. The Rare Rooftop bar is a must see! Even if you go up for just a few minutes its worth it. I would stay at the hotel again if only to see that view! The Chrysler Building and Empire State Building are stunning at night. We just loved our entire experience here! All the way from the friendly staff and how they stored our luggage while we waited for our room to be ready (since we got to the hotel a little early) down to the guitar we ordered on their customize your room website. My husband was very pleased with the guitar, too, by the way. It was polished and in tune! :) The only "down side" I can think of was the cost for the wifi. It would have been nice to offer it to the guests at no cost, but that wasn't a huge deal since we just used our phones for everything.

All in all, we highly recommend this hotel and look forward to staying there again. Hope you enjoy the stay as much as we did!

Room Tip: Book a room as early as possible. The price jumps high the closer you get to the arrival date.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Coxette
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I bought through expedia. Price was right. Location good, walk everywhere. Nice, clean, no problem. Doormen were great. Stay here.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Ninn4
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2011
Dear Ninn4,

Thank you for your recent stay and review. We appreciate your comments on good value, great location, clean rooms and great staff.
We enjoyed having you as our guest and hope to see you again very soon.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We have just come back from a holiday in New York City and stayed at this wonderful hotel. Having just been refurbished, the hotel suite was extremely clean with modern furnishings. We are a family of 4 with two preteen children. The apartment was spacious with a modern kitchenette, large bathroom, large family/lounge area and a large bedroom with 2 large queen sized beds which were extremely comfortable. We stayed on level 15 with views to the Empire State Building. We loved this hotel as it was away from the noise of Time Square but still close enough to take a pleasant walk into the hub of New York. On the first evening we dined at the RARE restaurant which served excellent food. We soon discovered a great Italian Restaurant only one block away from
the hotel. The hotel staff were excellent and very helpful along with the room service, very prompt. Don't forget to order your kitchen pack which provides you with all of the crockery and cutlery for the kitchen. I only knew to do this through reading some of the helpful reviews. Excellent hotel and I 100% recommend it for your next stay in the Big Apple. Can't wait to come back. RP. Australia

Room Tip: When I booked, I asked for a room with a view and I wasn't disappointed. We were on Level 15 wi...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Rose4053
Dear Rose4053,
Thank you for your recent stay and writing a detailed and positive review. We appreciate your comments on our clean, spacious and modern accommodations, great location in Murray Hill Neighborhood, yet close to the hub of NYC and convenient Kitchenettes with kitchen kits. Thank you for the comments on RARE restaurant and excellent food. Most of all, thank you for mentioning prompt service from our caring staff.
We enjoyed having you as our guests and hope to see you and your family very soon.

Hong Kong
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I love this hotel for many reasons, and let's start with location. Tucked away in a quiet corner of midtown, you are away from all the noise yet close enough to walk to Times Sq, Bryant Park, Grand Central, Empire State, etc. Rooms are spacious, had plenty of storage space, good-sized bathroom, good view of the Empire State Building (I was on the 9th floor). There was a fancy alarm clock/CD player next to the bed (which I didn't use), mini-bar+fridge, safe, iron, all the usual stuff.

Although there was no free Wi-Fi in the rooms, you get free Wi-Fi at the hotel lobby. During my 9-day stay, I saw plenty of guests lounging in the lobby with their iPads and laptop. Wi-Fi speed was fast on my iPad and there was plenty of space to sit and chill.

The concierge, Chris, is most lovely - how can I thank him enough? I asked him to confirm and make reservations at hard-to-get restaurants and he even followed up with voicemail confirmations. Super.

The bellboys and doorman are amazing. They are so friendly and are always happy to see you - it added a nice touch to the experience. They made the hotel stay very personal, not unlike a six-star hotel like the Four Seasons!

The hotel restaurant, Rare, is apparently quite good but I did not get the chance to dine there. The rooftop bar is accessible to all hotel guests. I checked it out and it was great.

Perhaps one of the reasons why I liked the hotel so much is because there is the most charming cafe just a few steps from the hotel (it's on the same block), called Lucid Cafe. Now, I didn't know that good coffee is hard to find in NY so I was really struggling in the first few days in the city until I found this little piece of heaven. It's a tiny cafe with two small tables and a la Marzocco espresso machine. The coffee is delicious and how coffee should be made, truly. So my morning ritual was to get a Flat White and a croissant at Lucid Cafe, go back to the Affinia's lobby and chill out there with my iPad. What a way to start my day in NY!

The cons: weak pressue shower, the bed felt a bit soft for me (but I am used to firmer beds!), no bathroom slippers provided, and the biggest con is that it can be quite noisy if you have noisy neighbours! I reckon the noise was coming through the front room door, not through the walls - and while it was frustrating I doubt if the hotel could have done anything. As I am a light sleeper I had to use ear plugs for a couple of nights until the noisy family moved out. I have read some previous reviews and there are some who complained about the noise but I suppose that is the luck of the draw.

So, will I stay there again? Definitely, most definitely! We stayed in another hotel for the last 3 days of our NY trip as we wanted to see the July 4th fireworks and even though the other hotel was more "posh", it just wasn't as personal. Someone once said the Affinia Shelburne is one of NY's best kept secrets, I can't help but agree!

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the lifts as possible to get a quieter room
4 Thank greenflubber