“A Room With A View”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix, Arizona
“A Room With A View”
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Spent Memorial Weekend at the Shelburne. The staff was friendly and helpful - thanks Andy for the eats suggestions. The room was comfortable - loved the various options for pillows! Loved the terrace - the bar was closed for the holiday, but the terrace was open to guests. We grabbed a bottle of wine and some snacks for a nightcap. The views are awesome! The hamburger joint is a must try too. The only downside to the facility was the slow elevator. We're from Phoenix so it might just be that we're not used to having to wait for elevators...

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank clwoolst

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (803)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I spent A long time choosing a hotel for the first visit in NY and am happy with the choice I have made especially taking into account a very competitive price we paid for the NY standards. Spacy clean rooms, nice, big bed with NO bed bugs :-), very convenient location, very close to
delis where you can buy nice
breakfast. Friendly service.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Manateepat
San Jose, California
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Sister and I spent 3 nights here. Room is well appointed. Large king bed with good quality linen. We never felt like we were sharing the bed with another person. Plenty of pillows and throws. Cable TV comes with room includes HBO, Food Network, TNT, ESPN etc. Water pressure is so so strong i kid you not, I remember thinking to myself in the shower OMG how much water is this costing the city. the first set of towels was very weird, leaving fabric fibers on our hair and shirt and everything in between. Like they overdid the fabric softener or something?! When housekeeping made the room and brought in more towels they were a more normal bunch. Our room was on the 10th floor, elevators were fast and efficient, never had to wait for one more than a few seconds. You could hear your neighbors a little bit in the hallway or if their shower is running. But it's not a big deal. We got a really good rate on quikbook.com so it made everything ever sweeter!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank audeli
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We loved this hotel! The room was more roomy than I expected for a Manhattan hotel, and everything was clean and comfortable. The location was excellent for us--a short walk got us to the Empire State Building, the NY Public Library, and Grand Central. There are several good restaurants within walking distance, and the one in the hotel was good, too. The only drawback was that the pillows we requested when we made our reservation were not in the room, but they were there by the time we returned from sightseeing on the first evening. We will definitely stay there when we go back to NYC!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank memphisjenn
England
Reviewed 17 July 2011

The room was very large with a view of the Empire State Building. The service was excellent, the staff from reception to the cleaning staff very attentive and very helpful and the view from the rooftop bar...WOW!
I can't fault this hotel. I am so glad I ignored the one or two negative reviews (BTW the elevators ARE quick and you'd have to be pretty lazy to object to the location as it's on Lexington and Grand Central Station is a short walk away).
I would offer one piece of advice to the hotel manager - offer free internet access. That was my only complaint.

Room Tip: They asked me on arrival if I wanted a quiet room or a view. I asked for a view but the room was qui...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank knobbystiles
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2011
Dear Knobbystiles,
Thank you for your recent stay and the great review. We appreciate your comments on our large rooms, helpful and attentive staff, great location to Grand Central Station and great views of Empire State Building from our rooms and from our roof top bar.
Please know we offer complimentary Wi-Fi in our lobby.
We enjoyed having you as our guest and hope to see you again very soon.
George Drepaul CHA
philadelphia, pa
Reviewed 16 July 2011

I've stayed three times and the Shelburne has never let me down. Smaller scale NYC hotel, so it never feels crowded. Great behind the front desk staff works to make sure everyone gets taken care of and is gracious, even when there's a line. The bathrooms are nicely modernized, with really nice faucets, granite countertops, and my FAVORITE: dimmer switches. So you don't go blind (or blind anyone you're sharing the room with) if you use the loo in the middle of the night. Great black out curtains and if you're lucky you'll get a room facing into the central atrium (well, it's just like an air shaft, but bigger) which means you have one of the rarest things: a QUIET room in NYC! The bedding is great, downy soft mattresses, pillows, a long bolster and a cute little embroidered dolly if you need one or are traveling w/a kid it probably comes in handy. I had a problem with my deadbolt, the lock didn't line up with the socket-y bit so that was a little hassle, but I figured it out. In general, Comfortable rooms, love the little reading lights on the beds so if one person wants to sleep the other can still read. The roof top bar wasn't in my schedule but it seemed like fun and the restaurant Rare was constantly busy so it must be good. Easy neighborhood to get around if you need a base of operations. The Lexington Ave subway is perfect and the M101 and 103 go straight down to the Village, the lower East side, etc. My one wish: oh, if only there was free wifi! I bit the bullet and paid the $13.95 but in this day and age there's no excuse to charge for wifi. There's a Starbucks just about three blocks away though, so if you don't need internet access past their closing time (which I did) you might just as well get a cup of coffee and work there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the internal atrium if you want the quietest stay!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Philadelphia_PaJay
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Our trip was just for a vacation in the city. I had searched for hotels in New York City high and low looking for a good value, but a nice, luxurious place to stay. We definitely found the spot!

We hired a car service from LGA airport to the hotel which was only $36, but if you opt for a cab ride, our friends said they paid $33. The location on 37th and Lex was perfect. Cabs are always available in the area, but the subways are conveniently located, as well. Grand Central Station was only a few blocks away (about a 5 minute walk) and there were a lot of close restaurants, pubs, shops and is in a nice neighborhood. There wasn't a lot of street noise that I could hear from our floor (11th). Our view was magnificent and the rooftop bar was AMAZING! We never ate at the hotel restaurant, but it was always packed which I take as a good sign. The Rare Rooftop bar is a must see! Even if you go up for just a few minutes its worth it. I would stay at the hotel again if only to see that view! The Chrysler Building and Empire State Building are stunning at night. We just loved our entire experience here! All the way from the friendly staff and how they stored our luggage while we waited for our room to be ready (since we got to the hotel a little early) down to the guitar we ordered on their customize your room website. My husband was very pleased with the guitar, too, by the way. It was polished and in tune! :) The only "down side" I can think of was the cost for the wifi. It would have been nice to offer it to the guests at no cost, but that wasn't a huge deal since we just used our phones for everything.

All in all, we highly recommend this hotel and look forward to staying there again. Hope you enjoy the stay as much as we did!

Room Tip: Book a room as early as possible. The price jumps high the closer you get to the arrival date.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends