“5 days in NYC”

Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #131 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Staying in New York for the first time. Wanted to see all the usual sights. Very nice clean comfortable hotel. Room nice and big and clean and quiet. About 10 minute walk to grand central and the empire street / 34th street. About 20-25 minutes to Times Square or Macy's. I would probably stay a bit closer to Times Square If in NYC again but the hotel was very nice. Only issue was paying for wifi, should be free.

1  Thank Martin K
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Dear Martin K,

Thank you for your kind review. I am happy that you spent your first visit to New York with us, at Affinia Shelburne! I am thrilled to hear that you found your accommodations to be spacious, quiet, clean and comfortable. As you indicated, our hotel is beautifully located in the residential area of Murray Hill and is only a few minutes away from many known New York City attractions, such as Grand Central, the Empire State Building and Times Square. Please be sure to participate in our complimentary Wine Hour, which occurs between 5pm – 6pm, 7 days per week, upon your next visit.

Thank you, again, for your feedback. I hope to see you soon!

There are newer reviews for Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I recently stayed here as I was travelling to NYC from the UK for work. Great location, perfect for exploring Midtown and Lower Manhattan. I asked for a quiet room, which I gratefully received - although the view from the room was appalling, essentially I was facing a brick wall, but peace and quiet for me is much more preferable to a room with a view when travelling on business. The room was very comfortable, spacious and the decor was tasteful. The room service was delicious, I ate in my room for a couple of evening when I was working and it was reasonably priced and promptly delivered. The room was cleaned every day to a high standard and with fresh towels. The hotel staff were very helpful and friendly, although the doorman was completely useless and never held or opened the door for me once, even with my luggage in the snow.

This place is great, I really enjoyed my stay here and I would definitely stay again. I would have given this hotel a 5/5 if it were not for the fact that I had to pay for Wifi.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank ashleyoxford y
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear ashleyoxford y,

Thank you for your kind review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your spacious accommodations and had a quiet, calm and peaceful stay with us at Affinia Shelburne. We pride ourselves on attentive, customized customer service. I am thrilled to hear that you had a positive experience with our staff and found everyone you encountered to be friendly and helpful. Please be sure to participate in our complimentary Wine Hour, which happens between 5pm – 6pm, 7 days per week, upon your return.

Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We stayed here for four nights during Spring Break. We were travelling with three adults and three children, and searched high and low for a suite that would accommodate everyone and had a mini kitchen. The Shelburne had a very large suite (especially by NYC standards) and an OK price. The pros:
-very large living room
-great view of the Empire State
-little traffic noise (we were on the 14th floor)
-clean
-fantastic, helpful staff and very friendly to the kids (7,5,2).
-great location
-Nice, updated clean bathrooms
-In the summer, they have a rooftop patio that serves drinks and snacks. Looks like it would be fun.
Cons:
- although clean, the room had seen better days. The furniture was a dented and worn.
- the kitchenette upon arrival was not equipped. You had to phone and ask for cutlery, dishes, etc. The microwave-oven did not really work.
- For the price, I was expecting a little more refinement, but then that's NYC, I guess.

If I could I would give this place 3.5 stars. Not average, but barely very good.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MommyTraveller75

Dear MommyTraveller75,

Thank you for your kind review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed a spacious room and clean accommodations. I really appreciate you saying that you felt that our staff was fantastic, friendly and helpful. We pride ourselves on customized service and it makes me exceedingly happy that you had a positive experience with us. I am thrilled that you had a chance to explore the area and enjoyed the amazing views on our rooftop. We love repeat guests at Affinia Shelburne. Please be sure to participate in our complimentary Wine Hour, which happens between 5pm – 6pm, 7 days per week, upon your return.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Spent 4 nights here last week. We had room 524 facing the street. Big room with two queen sized beds. Room and bathroom spotless with very comfortable beds. We heard no buliding noise and only the rare car horn. Location was a twenty minute walk from Penn Street and ten minutes from Grand Central. Staff helpful and informative. Wine hour we missed.....out and about at that time. This is a perfectly good hotel in a great location. Book with confidence. Handy for all sights or transport to them. Handy hint...buy a New York City Pass and plan your days, it's well worth the money. Order on line and pick up from Grand central Station. Twilight River Cruise a must and the Water Taxi is a great 'hop on and off' way to see the skyline. Night time visit up the Empire State is fantastic as is Top of the Rock in the day time. Queues can be lengthy and be prepared to take your coats, belts and in some places shoes off. Honorable mention to the Junction Irish bar up the street..............a haven for sore feet on an evening.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ENB346

Dear ENB346,

I am so happy to hear that you had a positive experience with us at Affinia Shelburne. I am happy that you had a chance to explore both our hotel as well as surrounding restaurants and cafes. As you indicated, our hotel is beautifully located in the residential area of Murray Hill and is only a few minutes away from many known New York City attractions. Thank you for recommending some of the great spots to visit in and around the hotel including Grand Central Station, Twilight River Cruise, and Top of the Rock.

Thank you, again, for your feedback. I hope that you come back and visit us soon!

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We are a family of four who stayed here for 4 days in March. The hotel was clean, the staff was good and the rooms were very large by NYC standards. Reasonably priced. Bathroom toiletries were a cop out. Got a 1 X 1 square of soap and 3 bottles of sham/cond and body wash in the shower that were out of a dispenser. Small detail but is things like that that make a stay special.

2  Thank Karen Z
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Karen Z,

Thank you for your kind review. I am happy that you enjoyed clean accommodations, our attentive, good-natured staff, and comparatively spacious suites. I apologize for any and all inconvenience that you may have experienced. If you decide to return, please feel free to reach out to me directly so that I may personally make your stay as positive and memorable as possible.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

this hotel is comfortable. Staff from the moment you arrive until you leave are professional, approachable and courteous. You should at least visit the restaurant as often as possible. I commend this hotel to you knowing that it will fit your needs

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Mr. James O

Dear Mr. James O,

Thank you for your kind review. I really appreciate you saying that you felt the professionalism and approachable, courteous nature of our staff from the moment that you walked in. We pride ourselves on customized service and it makes me exceedingly happy that you had a positive experience with us. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 25 March 2014

This hotel is an excellent choice if staying in NYC. It is Midtown and close to all sites and attractions. The rooms are very spacious. Stayed here for 5 nights and got free WiFi in room as we were staying 5 nights. The complementary wine hour is a very nice touch after a long day site seeing in the city. Would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone looking for a hotel to stay. The staff were all friendly and helpful. Rare restaurant very nice but a little pricey for a burger and chips. There are some lovely delis and diners just down the road which are a lot cheaper. Rooms were clean and towels changed on a daily basis.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 11th floor on the Eastside as the higher rooms are more quiet and you get a ni...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cockers001

Dear Cockers001,

Thank you for your kind review. I am happy that you had a chance to explore both our hotel as well as surrounding restaurants and cafes. As you indicated, our hotel is beautifully located in the residential area of Murray Hill and is only a few minutes away from many known New York City attractions. Our rooms have a reputation of being comparatively more spacious than most other NYC rooms. I am happy that you were pleased with your large, clean accommodations and were comfortable in your suite.

We love repeat guests and, therefore, hope to see you again soon!