“Great stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Huntington Beach, California
“Great stay”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed for two days at the Affinia Shelburne and loved it. Great location and nice accommodations. Good sized rooms. Loved the customized attention and the pillow menu! Enjoyed the evening wine reception and LOVED the food at RARE! Yum! The staff was friendly and very accommodating.

2 Thank Erin B
DREPAUL, Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Erin B,
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. As you mention, we are perfectly situated in Murray Hill, close to many of your favorite attractions such as Times Square and Rockefeller Center, as well as great shopping. Our spacious rooms are just one of our highlights, along with our daily complimentary wine hour and our six choice pillow menu. Thank you for noting how friendly and accommodating you found our staff. I am thrilled that they helped to enhance your stay.
Thank you again for your kind review and please do come again soon. Be sure to visit our roof top for some amazing views of the city, including the Empire State Building.

George Drepaul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (795)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Katy, Texas
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed at the Affinia Shelburne for 4 nights with my 2 daughters. Great location if you don't plan on doing the tourist things. (Empire State Bldg is very close but that's about it.) It was in a very nice quiet neighborhood. Rooms were very spacious. We stayed in a one bedroom suite and it was very large. The only problem I had was our mini refrigerator had a horrible order and supposedly several people tried to fix the problem. (The housekeeper said she had cleaned it out, two maintenance guys said they had cleaned up milk that had spilled underneath it. Nothing seemed to get rid of the order.) Didn't affect the room or my stay but I did have to use the fridge to store my insulin so I had to open it at least once a day. After several complaints, the manager did credit my bill for the inconvenience.
Rare, the restaurant at the hotel, was excellent. Great burgers!
I would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelgirlKaty_Texas
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear TravelgirlKaty_Texas,
I am glad to hear that for the most part you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Our central location to The Empire State Building is one of our major attractions. We are also situated close to transportation with Grand Central just five blocks away. While I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our large rooms, I am disappointed that you experienced a problem during your stay. We do aim to provide the best experience for all of our guests and I am very sorry that your stay was less than seamless. I am glad, however, that our manager was able to accommodate you for your inconvenience.
I hope you had a chance to enjoy our daily complimentary wine hour and visit the roof top with your daughters. I am thrilled to know that you would return and hope to see you again soon.

Poulton-le-Fylde, England
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We love New York and this hotel is just perfect. Rooms great, location perfect for all attractions which were within walking distance. Great for subway and lots of diners and restaurants close by. We loved the rooftop bar. Booked again for next September and can't wait to go back

Room Tip: We booked a quiet room on a higher floor and whilst we didn't have a great view - it was well wo...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank minilady1
Dear minilady1,
Thank you for your glowing review! I am glad that you took advantage of our superb location, which put you within walking distance to many attractions such as Times Square, Rockefeller Center, and Grand Central, to name a few. You no doubt also found the excellent choices for dining close by as well. The rooftop is beautiful and boasts spectacular views of the Empire State building. It truly makes me proud that you have already chosen us for your return trip. Please be sure to visit us at our daily complimentary wine hour where you can meet and mingle with other guests.
Thank you again for your review and we will see you in September!

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 11 June 2014

5 mins walk to either 42nd St Grand Central Station or 33rd St Metro Stations, but I prefer walk up to Grand Central stop as more Metro lines passing there. Quiet & residential like area, safe walk back at night even as a female solo traveller. Hotel staffs are friendly, informative & helpful. Room is spacious & comfortable, especially the Bed & pillows, that I didn't have any Jet Lag at all! My room at 4th floor facing a nice Garden roof top of a residential building, make me feel like home. Some people complained about the slow lifts, but for me, it's totally ok, as you have to accept that during rush hours like breakfast time & evening, lifts would be a bit congested & stop at every floors. Highly recommended Affinia. I booked directly with the hotel and was lucky to have a special weekend offer with complimentary wifi. Don't forget to visit the RARE restaurant, tasty food, good wine in reasonable price in NYC. Everything was perfect during my 4 days trip in NY.

Room Tip: You can ask for rooms at higher floor facing the Empire State Building, which can give you a better...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Fio_1080
Dear Fio_1080,
What an amazing review! Thank you for taking the time to mention our excellent location: close to major attractions, all while being situated in a cozy, chic neighborhood. I am glad that you enjoyed our larger than normal rooms and were able to sample our pillow menu to make your bed even more comfortable.
You took advantage of our special offer for complimentary WIFI when booking directly with us online and we hope you will do so again. Be sure to visit the roof top for superior views of the city, including the Empire State building and please join us in the lobby for our daily complimentary wine hour.
We love to build loyalty in the form of repeat guests and I hope you will become one of them. Please come back soon and thank you once again for your review.

Williamsburg, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 11 June 2014

A bit bigger than we were expecting--so many NYC hotel rooms are only slightly larger than the bed. Took advantage of a "half-priced Sunday" promotion, so it was a good deal--by NYC standards...Outstanding all around--will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

2 Thank Jim E
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Jim E,
I greatly appreciate your wonderful review. You are correct in that our rooms are larger than average and I am glad you were able to take advantage of the recent promotional rate. Our central location provides ready access to some of the city’s most popular attractions such as Times Square, Grand Central and Rockefeller Center. I would love for you to visit us again and become a loyal guest.

New York
Reviewed 11 June 2014

$300 plus a night should have been for a hotel in better condition plus there was a lot of construction in and around the hotel making it very noisy. Housekeeping too stingy with body lotion, wash clothes and coffee

2 Thank Ms. Angela D
Dear Ms. Angela D,
I appreciate that you took the time to post a review. We care deeply about providing excellent service to every guest, every time. I am disappointed to hear that your stay did not reflect the high level of standards and service that can be expected when staying with us and I would like to speak with you directly about the experiences you had during your stay. I hope that you will consider contacting me directly at gdrepaul@affinia.com. I hope to hear from you and be able to invite you back.

General Manager,
upstate NY
Reviewed 11 June 2014

What a lovely hotel. We had a double queen room for 3 of us and it was very spacious. We checked in late on a Friday night - everyone from the valet to the bellhop to the front desk was wonderful. The gentleman checking us in heard we were in town for my niece's 30th and gave us a bottle of (nice!) champagne and sent up a bunch of glasses. They said internet was included, but when you log on you would have to "accept the charge" - I've heard that before from hotels and ended up having to fight to get charges removed upon checkout. Not at the Shelburne, everything was as promised. The beds were a little hard, but they have a variety of pillows to choose from. The rooftop bar is a nice touch - pricey cocktails, but worth a visit. Everyone was just as helpful upon checkout. There's plenty around this location, and Times Square is walking distance (8-10 blocks?). Would definitely stay again!

1 Thank pawsonadog
Dear Pawsonadog,
I am elated that you felt so great about your travel experience with us and our Affinia brand. I appreciate your glowing review and how you have so wonderfully complimented our staff. They are truly passionate about providing personalized service and I am thrilled to hear that they were able to so for your niece’s 30th birthday. Our hotel is perfectly situated in the picturesque Murray Hill neighborhood which gives us a great vantage point in Midtown. You can capture the most amazing views of the Empire State Building from our Roof Top. Our amenities truly enhance your stay: From our pillow menu to our complimentary wine hour in the lobby and our experience kits to help you explore the city.
We do hope to see you again soon at the Shelburne.