“Good choice”

Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #130 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 June 2014

When I arrived at the hotel I could hardly see the front door because it was obscured by the scaffolding attached to the building next door.
I was dismayed to see that the lobby area was dark and very outdated.
The lifts were slow and could use a refurbishment. The corridors leading to the rooms were also in need of a refurbishment.
BUT
The room was excellent. It was very clean. We had a deluxe suite with a kitchenette which was very spacious for the two of us.
The bed was fantastic. It was king size and the most comfortable I have slept on.
We were in a quiet part of the hotel - no view but we were not in the room that much.
The only downside of the room was the noisy air conditioner.
We went to the roof top bar which was lovely and we had no problem with the fellow at the door. He was very nice to us.
The location of the hotel is terrific. It is close to many attractions. We could walk to lots of places and it was handy having Grand central nearby with the many different lines.
There is a wine hour but we only went to that once as we were out.
Staff are not super friendly, but efficient as there were lots of people when we were there.
I would definately stay here again

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank millie2112
gdrepaul, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear millie2112,

Thank you for your kind review. It is really nice to hear that you enjoyed clean, comfortable accommodations and a good night’s sleep. Upon your next visit please feel free to order off of our extensive pillow menu, allowing for even more sleeping options. As you indicated, our hotel is beautifully located in the residential area of Murray Hill. While our location provides serenity away from the immediate ‘buzz’ of NYC, we are only a few minutes away from Grand Central Station, the Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden, Broadway theatre, and famed 5th Avenue shopping. I am happy that you had the opportunity to participate in our complimentary Wine Hour, which occurs between 5pm – 6pm, 7 days per week.
I will certainly look into your voiced concerns and aim to provide services suggested for an even more memorable stay.

Thank you, again, for your review. I look forward to seeing you upon your next visit to New York!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We really enjoyed our recent stay here. Hotel is located in a very nice, upscale neighborhood and yet walkable distance from Times Square, about 15 - 20 minutes. Rooms are big for New York but the carpets need updating. Best part of our stay was very friendly and accommodating staff. To name few, Alex from the front desk - excellent customer service. Also their concierge is top notch, superb service. He answered all our questions and made arrangements via email before our arrival and helped out a lot during our stay. Would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Ask a room not next to elevators :) Ours was very close and while we were ok, some friends said that...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank JoSoCal

Dear JoSoCal,

Thank you for your kind review. As you indicated, our hotel is beautifully located in the residential area of Murray Hill. While our location provides serenity away from the immediate ‘buzz’ of NYC, we are only a few minutes away from Grand Central Station, the Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden, Broadway theatre, and famed 5th Avenue shopping. Thank you for recognizing the service of our staff. We are dedicated to customized customer service and, therefore, I am thrilled to hear that you had a positive experience. Thank you for mentioning Alex and our concierge. I will be sure to pass along your feedback and commend them on their continued commitment to superb service. We love repeat guests at Affinia Shelburne! Upon your next visit, please be sure to participate in our complimentary Wine Hour, which occurs between 5pm – 6pm, 7 days per week.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed at the Affinia Shelburne for 5 nights with a friend. The food at RARE was great, the staff were lovely and super helpful. Rooms were great, bed was lovely and had a great sleep. The location was great, walking distance to most things or only a short subway trip away. The rooftop bar was lovely, but its a shame about the wooden panelling that blocks some of the view. All in All would definitely be going back!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank puddle7soup

Dear puddle7soup,

Thank you for your kind review. As you indicated, our hotel is beautifully located in the residential area of Murray Hill. While our location provides serenity away from the immediate ‘buzz’ of NYC, we are only a few minutes away from Grand Central Station, the Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden, Broadway theatre, and famed 5th Avenue shopping. Thank you for recognizing the service of our staff. We are dedicated to customized customer service and, therefore, I am thrilled to hear that you had a positive experience. We love repeat guests at Affinia Shelburne! Upon your next visit, please be sure to participate in our complimentary Wine Hour, which occurs between 5pm – 6pm, 7 days per week.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I have stayed here before (always a good experience), but had an even better experience this time, including personal service in getting me a cab to the airport in the rain during rush hour as I was leaving.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank James M
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Dear James M,
Welcome back to the Shelburne! We love to build loyalty with return guests and it makes me proud to know that you continue to make us your home away from home. It’s wonderful to hear that you had such amazing personalized experience with our staff, as we are committed to providing excellent service to all of our guests. I hope you will be back soon and don’t forget to visit the roof top for spectacular views and of course stop by our complimentary daily wine hour.
Thank you for your review and for continuing to make us your choice of hotel in the city, staff friendly and knowledgeable and that you enjoyed our spacious and clean rooms. This is a point

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed for two days at the Affinia Shelburne and loved it. Great location and nice accommodations. Good sized rooms. Loved the customized attention and the pillow menu! Enjoyed the evening wine reception and LOVED the food at RARE! Yum! The staff was friendly and very accommodating.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Erin B
DREPAUL, Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Dear Erin B,
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. As you mention, we are perfectly situated in Murray Hill, close to many of your favorite attractions such as Times Square and Rockefeller Center, as well as great shopping. Our spacious rooms are just one of our highlights, along with our daily complimentary wine hour and our six choice pillow menu. Thank you for noting how friendly and accommodating you found our staff. I am thrilled that they helped to enhance your stay.
Thank you again for your kind review and please do come again soon. Be sure to visit our roof top for some amazing views of the city, including the Empire State Building.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed at the Affinia Shelburne for 4 nights with my 2 daughters. Great location if you don't plan on doing the tourist things. (Empire State Bldg is very close but that's about it.) It was in a very nice quiet neighborhood. Rooms were very spacious. We stayed in a one bedroom suite and it was very large. The only problem I had was our mini refrigerator had a horrible order and supposedly several people tried to fix the problem. (The housekeeper said she had cleaned it out, two maintenance guys said they had cleaned up milk that had spilled underneath it. Nothing seemed to get rid of the order.) Didn't affect the room or my stay but I did have to use the fridge to store my insulin so I had to open it at least once a day. After several complaints, the manager did credit my bill for the inconvenience.
Rare, the restaurant at the hotel, was excellent. Great burgers!
I would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TravelgirlKaty_Texas

Dear TravelgirlKaty_Texas,
I am glad to hear that for the most part you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Our central location to The Empire State Building is one of our major attractions. We are also situated close to transportation with Grand Central just five blocks away. While I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our large rooms, I am disappointed that you experienced a problem during your stay. We do aim to provide the best experience for all of our guests and I am very sorry that your stay was less than seamless. I am glad, however, that our manager was able to accommodate you for your inconvenience.
I hope you had a chance to enjoy our daily complimentary wine hour and visit the roof top with your daughters. I am thrilled to know that you would return and hope to see you again soon.
Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We love New York and this hotel is just perfect. Rooms great, location perfect for all attractions which were within walking distance. Great for subway and lots of diners and restaurants close by. We loved the rooftop bar. Booked again for next September and can't wait to go back

Room Tip: We booked a quiet room on a higher floor and whilst we didn't have a great view - it was well wo...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank minilady1

Dear minilady1,
Thank you for your glowing review! I am glad that you took advantage of our superb location, which put you within walking distance to many attractions such as Times Square, Rockefeller Center, and Grand Central, to name a few. You no doubt also found the excellent choices for dining close by as well. The rooftop is beautiful and boasts spectacular views of the Empire State building. It truly makes me proud that you have already chosen us for your return trip. Please be sure to visit us at our daily complimentary wine hour where you can meet and mingle with other guests.
Thank you again for your review and we will see you in September!