“Perfect hotel, perfect location and perfect hospitality. All at agreat price!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel

Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #126 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2009

I researched thoroughly before choosing the Affinia Shelburne. I was leaning toward the Dumont, but was swayed to this one because of the recent renovation, the location in Murray Hill and the reasonable price. When I saw that Shelburne's General Manager had taken the time to post a comment on this site, that tipped the scales. I checked in late with my two teenage daughters and one of their friends. This was a special occasion - my daughter's 18th birthday - so I wanted the trip to be special. I cannot emphasize how PERFECT this hotel was and I have already told all my friends to stay here. We opened our door to Room 1013 and literally started squealing and jumping up and down. Our one-bedroom suite was H-U-G-E by any standards, much less for a hotel in NYC. The layout was perfect: one room with living space, including a sleeper sofa and lamps that I want to buy. The second room had two queen beds. Both had large flat-screen TVs and a refrigerator. (no coffee maker, but one was immediately brought up upon request). The GM had left a pail of candy and a note for us - so touching. I had expected a kitchen. Even better - we had two huge bathrooms with lots of counter space (granite), lighted mirrors and makeup mirrors. For 4 women, 3 of them teens, this was way more practical, and who wants to cook in NY. We had the refrigerators to store water from nearby markets. Our bedroom had a view of the Empire State Building. And the beds were incredibly comfortable. The windows completely block out unwanted light. Other great touches: pillow menu, plush robes, clean, clean rooms. The only snafu was that housekeeping hadn't completely cleaned our room the second morning, but once called, they more than made up for it. The location was so perfect. I can't wait to return with my boyfriend and enjoy the rooftop bar. Rare, the onsite restaurant, seemed incredibly reasonable and was always packed and lively. I definitely want to try that on my next visit. I've done my homework. From now on, I have the place I am staying in New York and it's the Affinia Shelburne!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank jsagerPhoenix

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (747)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2009

The room was excellent. Well planned and spotless. We are a family of 5 with 3 teenagers so finding a room to accomodate all of us comfortably is no easy task. The Shelburne would have ticked all the boxes was it not for the poor customer service provided by the frontline reception staff. Four times we had to ask for the sofa bet to be made up so we could all go to bed ! No smiling faces...ever. We got the impression it was all too much trouble. After many trips to NYC they were the most miserable bunch I have come across. Please instill in your staff they are the ambassadors for your Hotel. You have such a super hotel here and they are letting it down. The door staff made up for the poor show on reception. They were polite, energetic, fun and helpful at all times. We were so impressed with the facilities we will return (just don't put the rates up!)

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Shouldi
ashelburneny, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2009
Dear Shouldi,

My name is David McManus and I am the General Manager of the Affinia Shelburne Hotel. Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. Upon reading your feedback regarding your disappointment with your stay, I immediately printed your TripAdvisor posting and shared it with my Executive Team to ensure this does not happen again. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while a guest of our Hotel and hope you will consider returning as a guest of the Affinia Shelburne in the future.

David McManus
Bradenton, FL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2009

I stayed here the night of August 12, 2009. For starters, I would like to suggest that they change the name of this hotel (yet again) to the "Sorry About That Arms". Here's my story:

After a long flight delay getting into LGA, I took comfort in knowing that I was in the "favorites database" of Affinia and that my cupcakes, my sleep mask and my special pillow would be waiting for me.

When I asked about it when checking in, the young man at the front desk said "I didn't find you in the database. Sorry about that" (if you are counting, that's #1). (and nothing was ever delivered, either).

They gave me a key to room 223. I took the elevator the second floor and after about 10 minutes of searching, discovered there is NO room 223.

Back down to the front desk: "Oh, there is no room 223 -- sorry about that (#2) -- you have to enter through room 224."

Back up to the second floor on elevators that are extremely slow. Hmmm...now the key does not work in room 224. Back down to the front desk.

"Oh, sorry about that (#3), we should have given you a room key for 224" (Duh!)

The bellman takes my new key and escorts me up to 224. Of course, the new key works.

I sleep (the hotel was pretty quiet and my room was right on Lexington). I have to give a big speech in the morning, so on arising, I get out the ironing board to iron my shirt. Oh, there is no iron in the room. So I call downstairs. "Hello, good morning...no iron? Oh, sorry about that (#4). We'll get one up to you."

The iron arrives (want to guess what the bellman says when he hands it to me? Too easy, huh? (#5). I plug in the iron and start to iron my shirt, but the iron blows the circuit in the room. Rather than call down for another "sorry about that", I fumble around in the dark and reset the circuit switch. (Tip: If you stay here and want to iron a shirt, turn off the TV first).

I also had lots of guests in my bathroom. Big black ants. Did not call that one in either. Just checked out asap.

An unimpressive hotel. I travel to NYC a lot and would I stay here again?

Sorry about that.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank BarefootTom
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2009

We were delighted with our 2 night stay, familys first time in US and this hotel gave a great impression. Its location was ideal for all the sights we wished to visit. The staff were nice and the breakfasts were a fine start to the day. No faults that anyone can remember

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
dublin and all over
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

The staff only replied to queries about 50% of the time. Our room was below the bar area and so was noisey. The cleanuing lady on our floor was actually very nice and helpful and much more helpful than reception or the concierge. The receptionist ciould not even pronounce concierge.

The hi speed internet was very expensive and the connection was terrible and there was a litany of excuses why it was not working although the internet in reception worked perfectly but you had to pay an arm and a leg to use that. on top of having paid for it already as a wireless service.

Generally this hotel is over staffed with lazy staff who think they are too cool to be working in the service industry. it is a real pity as the lcoation is very good and the rooms are of a high quality.

The roof top bar is very disappointing also.

Basically a great hotel if you dont need to use the interent or need to talk to reception.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheIrishFella
ashelburneny, Assistant General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2009
Dear TheIrishFella,

My name is Jennifer Baldwin and I am the Assistant General Manager at the Affinia Shelburne. I was very disappointed to read that the service levels we provided during your stay did not meet your expectations and would like to apologize for any inconvenience this caused you. I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback and hope you will consider returning as our guest in the future.

Jennifer Baldwin
louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

We stayed here after finding a great rate on Travelzoo. The front desk staff upgraded us to a 2 room suite that was available. What a treat! It was very roomy, the beds were comfortable (including the sofa bed!) and everything was very clean. We couldn't have asked for a better hotel. The front desk staff were also helpful in recommending a great Indian buffet down the street for lunch.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

Hotel and room was very clean. All hotel staff was friendly. Would recommend it to anyone. The bar on the roof was beautiful and great atmosphere. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple