“Flies, Flies and more Flies...!!”

Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #126 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hamilton, Bermuda
“Flies, Flies and more Flies...!!”
Reviewed 18 August 2009

My husband and I were referred this hotel by one of my trustworthy colleagues. Since we have never visited NY before for leisure, I was unsure of a good hotel. (I should have gone with the Fitzpatrick Manhattan which was my first choice).

Affina Shelburne check in/out was good. Location great - close to shopping, restaurants etc. Concierge, April and door man Dennis were great as well. Room size was good. RARE grill, expensive and not the cleanest. Front Desk and service - ok. Elevators - small and very slow. Remodel - tried to look expensive, quality of the renovation work was not good at all.

We arrived at the hotel and check in was good since it was early part of the day. I asked if our room was ready at front desk since it was before checkin in time and she said yes, I also asked if some preferences that I included in my reservation and asked if those were able to be accomodated. She advised yes and proceeded to give us our room key etc. Note: I did confirm that all rooms had showers AND a bathtub before booking my reservation and the answer was YES. We proceeded to the room with the bell man and baggage (elevator very small and slow) and the room she gave us was a walk in shower with a shower curtain - one of my requests was a glass shower with a tub. So we went back to the front desk and queried again and now I was told that some rooms have showers and tubs with the shower curtain, others just have the glass shower or walk in shower. So I told them that I would like a tub please, so she gave us the key to another room. We said we will check it out before dragging our luggage to another room and be unsatisfied. Checked it out and there was a shower and tub alright with a GREAT BIG BLACK MOLD LINE were the grout/caulking finishes for the tile and where the tub begins - GROSS. So needless to say we didn't take that room and since there was no one from fron desk accompanying us we couldn't show them, but we told them. So now we are on to our 3rd room. This room had the similiar issue with the tub, but not as bad, a rust ring around the tub faucet, hair on the shower curtain liner and in the tub and dirt on the mirror. We complained again and housekeeping came and changed the shower liner (which they apologized for) and noted the black grout/mold would have to be cleaned while we were out because of the kind of chemical they were going to use. Housekeeping also advised that it all may not come out becaue that is the kind of grout/caulking that was used. OK, by this time we are tired and irritated. So we just settled in this room (which was room #1501 on the 15th floor) which was by the elevator where I specifically requested NOT TO BE.

Well, throughout the night a fly was buzzing around my ears - yes, a fly. Ok - cool, killed it and went back sleep - ANOTHER one came on buzzing....I woke my husband up cos it took me a while to catch that one - had the lighgts on and everything. Finally killed that one - this one was a mosquito looking one and the other was a fruit fly type. The next day we told front desk about it and they said they'll have it checked. While we were getting ready to go out, we killed about another 4 yes 4 and left one visible so they can see it. We let them know we left the dead one for them to see and we went to breakfast in the RARE grill where would you believe the SAME FLIES were there!!! No kidding!!!!!!!!! When we got back to the room, housekeeping had been there, but there was not note stating they checked the fly issue. While we dropping our shopping bags off there was another fruit fly. The bed was made, trashed wasn't emptied and mirror still dirty. We went back out and on our way out we stopped to the front desk to ask if the issue had been looked into. She wasn't sure as she just came in. She offered us to have maintenence come and have a look when we get back and another room but the hotel was totally booked and we could have the room the next night , but we were already irritated. We knew the next room could be worse - I guess the saying, you know what you've got, but you don't know what you're going to get was applied. When we arrived back to the room maintenence came and sprayed some sort of spray - it had VERY VERY MINIMAL ODOR. After it was about 2 or 3 for the rest of our stay. I was sooooo glad to be leaving that hotel at the end of our stay....

During checkout we asked could they discount us for the inconvenience of the fly issue and front desk said all they can do is discount our movie which was already discounted because when we went to play it all these lines were showing up you couldn't see the movie and it was frozen!!! The room service lunch they couldn't discount ($49) beacuse the restaurant is not theirs and they couldn't adjust the room rate because of how it was in the computer. So, we were offered compliementary breakfast in the RARE grill....I really wasn't feeling that at all, but we took it. I was confused - you could offer complimentary breakfast to the RARE grill though it's not your restaurant , but you can't take off the lunch and pay for it out of the hote's pocket?! Anyway, at at the grill for breakfast again since I didn't have to pay for it and the flies were still there..;.

I thank the hotel for trying to make us comfortable, but I was very disappointed and not impressed with this hotel, I will not return and I will not recommend this hotel to anyone!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW - having trouble getting pics of my camera, so sorry couldn't take/post any...

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
ashelburneny, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2009
Dear Princess1976,

My name is David McManus and I am the General Manager of the Affinia Shelburne Hotel. I want to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while a guest of our Hotel. We have already reached out to our professional partner to investigate and alleviate the challenges you experienced. As we just completed a full renovation of our rooms and public space, your situation is not a typical occurrence at the Affinia Shelburne and we are working diligently to ensure it does not occur again. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you would like to discuss in further detail. I hope you will consider returning to the new Affinia Shelburne in the near future.

David McManus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (789)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix
Reviewed 17 August 2009

I researched thoroughly before choosing the Affinia Shelburne. I was leaning toward the Dumont, but was swayed to this one because of the recent renovation, the location in Murray Hill and the reasonable price. When I saw that Shelburne's General Manager had taken the time to post a comment on this site, that tipped the scales. I checked in late with my two teenage daughters and one of their friends. This was a special occasion - my daughter's 18th birthday - so I wanted the trip to be special. I cannot emphasize how PERFECT this hotel was and I have already told all my friends to stay here. We opened our door to Room 1013 and literally started squealing and jumping up and down. Our one-bedroom suite was H-U-G-E by any standards, much less for a hotel in NYC. The layout was perfect: one room with living space, including a sleeper sofa and lamps that I want to buy. The second room had two queen beds. Both had large flat-screen TVs and a refrigerator. (no coffee maker, but one was immediately brought up upon request). The GM had left a pail of candy and a note for us - so touching. I had expected a kitchen. Even better - we had two huge bathrooms with lots of counter space (granite), lighted mirrors and makeup mirrors. For 4 women, 3 of them teens, this was way more practical, and who wants to cook in NY. We had the refrigerators to store water from nearby markets. Our bedroom had a view of the Empire State Building. And the beds were incredibly comfortable. The windows completely block out unwanted light. Other great touches: pillow menu, plush robes, clean, clean rooms. The only snafu was that housekeeping hadn't completely cleaned our room the second morning, but once called, they more than made up for it. The location was so perfect. I can't wait to return with my boyfriend and enjoy the rooftop bar. Rare, the onsite restaurant, seemed incredibly reasonable and was always packed and lively. I definitely want to try that on my next visit. I've done my homework. From now on, I have the place I am staying in New York and it's the Affinia Shelburne!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank jsagerPhoenix
UK
Reviewed 16 August 2009

The room was excellent. Well planned and spotless. We are a family of 5 with 3 teenagers so finding a room to accomodate all of us comfortably is no easy task. The Shelburne would have ticked all the boxes was it not for the poor customer service provided by the frontline reception staff. Four times we had to ask for the sofa bet to be made up so we could all go to bed ! No smiling faces...ever. We got the impression it was all too much trouble. After many trips to NYC they were the most miserable bunch I have come across. Please instill in your staff they are the ambassadors for your Hotel. You have such a super hotel here and they are letting it down. The door staff made up for the poor show on reception. They were polite, energetic, fun and helpful at all times. We were so impressed with the facilities we will return (just don't put the rates up!)

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Shouldi
ashelburneny, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2009
Dear Shouldi,

My name is David McManus and I am the General Manager of the Affinia Shelburne Hotel. Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. Upon reading your feedback regarding your disappointment with your stay, I immediately printed your TripAdvisor posting and shared it with my Executive Team to ensure this does not happen again. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while a guest of our Hotel and hope you will consider returning as a guest of the Affinia Shelburne in the future.

David McManus
Bradenton, FL
Reviewed 14 August 2009

I stayed here the night of August 12, 2009. For starters, I would like to suggest that they change the name of this hotel (yet again) to the "Sorry About That Arms". Here's my story:

After a long flight delay getting into LGA, I took comfort in knowing that I was in the "favorites database" of Affinia and that my cupcakes, my sleep mask and my special pillow would be waiting for me.

When I asked about it when checking in, the young man at the front desk said "I didn't find you in the database. Sorry about that" (if you are counting, that's #1). (and nothing was ever delivered, either).

They gave me a key to room 223. I took the elevator the second floor and after about 10 minutes of searching, discovered there is NO room 223.

Back down to the front desk: "Oh, there is no room 223 -- sorry about that (#2) -- you have to enter through room 224."

Back up to the second floor on elevators that are extremely slow. Hmmm...now the key does not work in room 224. Back down to the front desk.

"Oh, sorry about that (#3), we should have given you a room key for 224" (Duh!)

The bellman takes my new key and escorts me up to 224. Of course, the new key works.

I sleep (the hotel was pretty quiet and my room was right on Lexington). I have to give a big speech in the morning, so on arising, I get out the ironing board to iron my shirt. Oh, there is no iron in the room. So I call downstairs. "Hello, good morning...no iron? Oh, sorry about that (#4). We'll get one up to you."

The iron arrives (want to guess what the bellman says when he hands it to me? Too easy, huh? (#5). I plug in the iron and start to iron my shirt, but the iron blows the circuit in the room. Rather than call down for another "sorry about that", I fumble around in the dark and reset the circuit switch. (Tip: If you stay here and want to iron a shirt, turn off the TV first).

I also had lots of guests in my bathroom. Big black ants. Did not call that one in either. Just checked out asap.

An unimpressive hotel. I travel to NYC a lot and would I stay here again?

Sorry about that.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank BarefootTom
Ireland
Reviewed 13 August 2009

We were delighted with our 2 night stay, familys first time in US and this hotel gave a great impression. Its location was ideal for all the sights we wished to visit. The staff were nice and the breakfasts were a fine start to the day. No faults that anyone can remember

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
dublin and all over
Reviewed 11 August 2009

The staff only replied to queries about 50% of the time. Our room was below the bar area and so was noisey. The cleanuing lady on our floor was actually very nice and helpful and much more helpful than reception or the concierge. The receptionist ciould not even pronounce concierge.

The hi speed internet was very expensive and the connection was terrible and there was a litany of excuses why it was not working although the internet in reception worked perfectly but you had to pay an arm and a leg to use that. on top of having paid for it already as a wireless service.

Generally this hotel is over staffed with lazy staff who think they are too cool to be working in the service industry. it is a real pity as the lcoation is very good and the rooms are of a high quality.

The roof top bar is very disappointing also.

Basically a great hotel if you dont need to use the interent or need to talk to reception.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheIrishFella
ashelburneny, Assistant General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2009
Dear TheIrishFella,

My name is Jennifer Baldwin and I am the Assistant General Manager at the Affinia Shelburne. I was very disappointed to read that the service levels we provided during your stay did not meet your expectations and would like to apologize for any inconvenience this caused you. I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback and hope you will consider returning as our guest in the future.

Jennifer Baldwin
louisiana
Reviewed 10 August 2009

We stayed here after finding a great rate on Travelzoo. The front desk staff upgraded us to a 2 room suite that was available. What a treat! It was very roomy, the beds were comfortable (including the sofa bed!) and everything was very clean. We couldn't have asked for a better hotel. The front desk staff were also helpful in recommending a great Indian buffet down the street for lunch.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business