My husband and I were referred this hotel by one of my trustworthy colleagues. Since we have never visited NY before for leisure, I was unsure of a good hotel. (I should have gone with the Fitzpatrick Manhattan which was my first choice).
Affina Shelburne check in/out was good. Location great - close to shopping, restaurants etc. Concierge, April and door man Dennis were great as well. Room size was good. RARE grill, expensive and not the cleanest. Front Desk and service - ok. Elevators - small and very slow. Remodel - tried to look expensive, quality of the renovation work was not good at all.
We arrived at the hotel and check in was good since it was early part of the day. I asked if our room was ready at front desk since it was before checkin in time and she said yes, I also asked if some preferences that I included in my reservation and asked if those were able to be accomodated. She advised yes and proceeded to give us our room key etc. Note: I did confirm that all rooms had showers AND a bathtub before booking my reservation and the answer was YES. We proceeded to the room with the bell man and baggage (elevator very small and slow) and the room she gave us was a walk in shower with a shower curtain - one of my requests was a glass shower with a tub. So we went back to the front desk and queried again and now I was told that some rooms have showers and tubs with the shower curtain, others just have the glass shower or walk in shower. So I told them that I would like a tub please, so she gave us the key to another room. We said we will check it out before dragging our luggage to another room and be unsatisfied. Checked it out and there was a shower and tub alright with a GREAT BIG BLACK MOLD LINE were the grout/caulking finishes for the tile and where the tub begins - GROSS. So needless to say we didn't take that room and since there was no one from fron desk accompanying us we couldn't show them, but we told them. So now we are on to our 3rd room. This room had the similiar issue with the tub, but not as bad, a rust ring around the tub faucet, hair on the shower curtain liner and in the tub and dirt on the mirror. We complained again and housekeeping came and changed the shower liner (which they apologized for) and noted the black grout/mold would have to be cleaned while we were out because of the kind of chemical they were going to use. Housekeeping also advised that it all may not come out becaue that is the kind of grout/caulking that was used. OK, by this time we are tired and irritated. So we just settled in this room (which was room #1501 on the 15th floor) which was by the elevator where I specifically requested NOT TO BE.
Well, throughout the night a fly was buzzing around my ears - yes, a fly. Ok - cool, killed it and went back sleep - ANOTHER one came on buzzing....I woke my husband up cos it took me a while to catch that one - had the lighgts on and everything. Finally killed that one - this one was a mosquito looking one and the other was a fruit fly type. The next day we told front desk about it and they said they'll have it checked. While we were getting ready to go out, we killed about another 4 yes 4 and left one visible so they can see it. We let them know we left the dead one for them to see and we went to breakfast in the RARE grill where would you believe the SAME FLIES were there!!! No kidding!!!!!!!!! When we got back to the room, housekeeping had been there, but there was not note stating they checked the fly issue. While we dropping our shopping bags off there was another fruit fly. The bed was made, trashed wasn't emptied and mirror still dirty. We went back out and on our way out we stopped to the front desk to ask if the issue had been looked into. She wasn't sure as she just came in. She offered us to have maintenence come and have a look when we get back and another room but the hotel was totally booked and we could have the room the next night , but we were already irritated. We knew the next room could be worse - I guess the saying, you know what you've got, but you don't know what you're going to get was applied. When we arrived back to the room maintenence came and sprayed some sort of spray - it had VERY VERY MINIMAL ODOR. After it was about 2 or 3 for the rest of our stay. I was sooooo glad to be leaving that hotel at the end of our stay....
During checkout we asked could they discount us for the inconvenience of the fly issue and front desk said all they can do is discount our movie which was already discounted because when we went to play it all these lines were showing up you couldn't see the movie and it was frozen!!! The room service lunch they couldn't discount ($49) beacuse the restaurant is not theirs and they couldn't adjust the room rate because of how it was in the computer. So, we were offered compliementary breakfast in the RARE grill....I really wasn't feeling that at all, but we took it. I was confused - you could offer complimentary breakfast to the RARE grill though it's not your restaurant , but you can't take off the lunch and pay for it out of the hote's pocket?! Anyway, at at the grill for breakfast again since I didn't have to pay for it and the flies were still there..;.
I thank the hotel for trying to make us comfortable, but I was very disappointed and not impressed with this hotel, I will not return and I will not recommend this hotel to anyone!!!!!!!!!!!
BTW - having trouble getting pics of my camera, so sorry couldn't take/post any...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Warm. Inviting. Social. Just right for a relaxed city stay. You love action-packed places. But some privacy when you need it. You want a happy medium, an opportunity to be social in a cool environment. Enter the Shelburne NYC, with its warm-toned interior design and homey common areas. Tucked into laid-back Murray Hill, a few blocks from Grand Central Station, it's just right for guests who like to pop down on the train for New York nights with a relaxed vibe. Come kick back, check out the views-and go up to the rooftop while you're at it. Join us nightly for a glass of red or white at our Wine Hour, located in the lobby from 5-6 p.M. · Daily Wine Hour during Social Sips from 5-6PM · Wireless Internet access for all of your devices · 10% off at Celebrity Chef Geoffrey Zakarian’s The National Bar & Dining Rooms · In-room gourmet coffee and tea offerings · Unlimited package handling and storage prior to and during your stay · Business services, including printing · Local and domestic long distance calls · 24/7 access to our state-of-the-art fitness centers · Access to Affinia bikes (where applicable) · Concierge services *Must be redeemed daily, credit may not be rolled over **Fee is exclusive of service gratuities ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, TravelUp, Odigeo, Agoda, Superbreak UK, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Affinia Shelburne Hotel New York City
- Sol Melia New York City
- Shelburne Murray Hill Hotel
- Affinia Shelburne New York City
- Shelbourne Hotel New York
- Shelbourne Hotel Nyc
- Shelburne Murray Hill New York