“Clean, comfortable & spacious - excellent value”

Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #134 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 September 2009

Our room was the most spacious we've had in NYC, with a really comfortable bed & a choice of 5 types of pillows. All members of staff we came in contact with were polite and helpful. The rooms were cleaned to a high standard. We had a fridge and a coffee / tea machine.

We chose this hotel for the value for money and we weren't disappointed and the close proximity to Grand Central as were going to Flushing Meadow every day. And the fact that you can use the pool and jacuzzi at the sister hotel - we didn't get around to that though!

The hotel room was very quiet and there was no disturbance or noise from any rooms. There is also a rooftop bar which gives you a great view of the Empire State Building.

We had breakfast at either Scotty's Diner, which was great value for money and just a block & a half away (uptown), or the slightly more upmarket Blooms, which was 2 blocks away.(also uptown) There's a great deli the Old Bridge - 3 blocks uptown for any sandwiches or DIY salads or also do breakfast there.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,923)

Reviewed 2 September 2009

Just returned from 6 days in New York. Affinia Shelburne is wonderful! The rooms are exceptionally beautiful and spacious. We have travelled to many places and this hotel was definitely in the top 2. The staff was courteous, friendly and helpful. THe doorman was exceptionally friendly and helpful, giving us directions and getting a cab when needed. The location is ideal and to be able to view the Empire State Building from your window is exceptional! Lots of little restaurants, delis and markets are close by so finding food, drinks and snacks at reasonable costs was no problem. Feeding teenagers can be expensive but we actually ate better and cheaper within 2 blocks of the Affinia Shelburne than we have in any other American city to date. THe area was clean and safe; we never felt in danger at any time of day or night. The beds were exceptionally comfortable, the linens were outstanding. The only disappointment was that we were expecting a kitchenette but there was only a microwave and no dishes/cutlery. We asked for a toaster and one was brought up immediately. Bought paper plates at Walgreens around the corner for a $1 and used plastic utensils so this wasnt a issue. If you are hoping to cook though, look for another hotel. The real glass glasses were a treat as compared to standard plastic hotel fare. The only other disappointment was strictly a design function and no reflection on the hotel. There are no shower doors (modern design) so the bathroom gets soaked with every shower. No bathroom fan either so everything is damp. But if that is all there is to complain about in a hotel...there is nothing to complain about!!! Internet costs $10/day but I understand that is common in NYC. You can print your boarding passes for free in the lobby which was a nice feature. STAY HERE!!! YOU CANT GO WRONG!!!

Reviewed 31 August 2009

I traveled into the city with my daughter and her best friend for some back to school shopping and fun. We got into the city well before check-in time on our first day and we were greeted by very friendly staff and surprised by having our room ready and waiting. The room itself was better than my expectations - sometimes the rooms don't live up to the pictures on the internet. The room was lovely, spacious (the biggest I had ever stayed at in the city), and clean. We also loved the location - being away from the hustle and bustle of the Times Square area was a pleasure, but yet it was so close to everything we needed. I would absolutely book another stay the next time I travel into the city.

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed 30 August 2009

My wife and I got married in New York 2 weeks ago, we set up a block for our guests at the Shelburne and stayed 2 nights there as well. From the beginning the staff was great, the block was set up through Margo in the group service department and all went smoothly, she even secured rooms at the block rate the week of for a few friends who changed plans and decided at the last minute to stay in the city. David Sandler was the manager while we were ther and he and all the staff were excellent, they took care of everyone and addressed any problems(one couple needed a different room with a bigger bed due to the husbands snoring and were promptly accommodated)
My wife and I had separate rooms the night before the wedding and transferred to one for the wedding night, the staff moved our belongings for us while we were at the party so we didnt have to worry about it.
All our guests had nothing but raves for the staff and rooms. The regular rooms were good sized by new York standards and our suites were huge and beautifully done. The lobby has been redesigned recently and was very chic the restaurant bar was fun and the food good for both brunch and dinner. The rooftop bar was open for one night we were there(it is closed on sundays) and was a blast with great views and lots of spots to sit and talk to people we hadnt seen in years.
The area the hotel in is great, there are plenty of restaurants bars etc in the area and a great bagel place a block away. The best part is being close to transportation to get anywhere in the city you wish(if you skip the subway and need a cab the doormen take care of that in an instant)
I cant say enough about the staff, they all were pleasant and accommodating but never overbearing and I am notoriously picky when it comes to service.

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed 30 August 2009

I have just returned from a week long stay at the Affina Murray Hill – an excellent hotel. Ignore the moaners that have posted reviews, this is a very good hotel for the price and the service was brilliant.

Prior to booking a hotel in NY I did extensive research on the best customer rated hotels in my price range and the Affina impressed me for three main reasons, firstly the location and secondly the fact the management regularly respond to negative reviews (so are clearly keen to listen to feedback) and thirdly the fact it has recently been renovated (very nicely too!).

Having lived in NY for 4 months several years ago, I was very confident that the location of the Affina would tick all the boxes for getting to the tourist sites and shops. There is no ‘perfect’ location in New York, if you want to explore the whole city, inevitably wherever you stay, some places will entail a bit of a treck to get to. However, the Affina is great for a walk to all mid-town areas (Empire State, Times Square, 5th Avenue shops, Central Station, UN Building etc) and is only a very short walk away to the 6 train (either at Grand Central or on 33rd Street) and is slightly longer 20 min brisk walk to the 1,2,3 trains (at Penn Station), so it was easy to get everywhere.

The neighbourhood is very safe – we walked back from the subway after 2am on some nights and it was quiet and didn’t feel threatened at all. There are several bars in the area a 5 min walk away. I would highly recommend the rooftop bar on the hotel, it is only open when its not raining, but is very plush and has a great atmosphere and great service…. Not to mention views which are spectacular.

The bar off the lobby – RARE – is excellent as well. Top class service from the bar and waiting staff and it has a really good atmosphere. We found it a great way to start and end a night out. The food there is great, and very reasonably priced (classic burger for nine dollars!). The breakfast there is also very reasonably priced (ten dollars for coffee, juice, toast and a full cooked breakfast!).

The hotel itself is of a very high standard – the lobby area is very comfortable and stylish and very clean. We were very impressed with the size of our room. Having stayed in New York Hotels previously and many in London, city hotel rooms are generally very small…. We only had a standard room, but it was massive! The beds were I think queen size and the bed linen (and much commented upon pillows…!) were very comfortable and in fact I would go as far to say the best bed I have ever had from a hotel. We also had a microwave and fridge in our room, which were a nice touch, but we didn’t use them. The air con was a god send in 90 degree heat, and having been shown how to switch it off (found it silent at night… just use the control panel on the actual metal unit on the left hand side to set the fan speed and switch off completely) and the thermostat on the wall controls the temperature.

The bathroom was ample size and very very clean (I’m quite fussy over bathrooms and this had nothing to complain about). My only slight moan would be that the bath towels could have been bigger, but they did leave you 4 of them, so more than made up for size in quantity!

The elevator is slow at times, but that’s only because at 9am in the morning, you get a lot of people checking out, filling the lift with cases and it takes a while…. If you can’t handle a five minute wait – you are missing out on a great hotel! We found it quite nice the way guests would talk in the elevator or whilst waiting for it, rather a nice touch, personally.

As for noise – we genuinely didn’t hear anything that caused us any alarm. Indeed on some nights, we commented it was so quiet we couldn’t believe we were in a city. We were on the back of the hotel into the atrium, so no road noise. There was some slight music noise form the upstairs bar, but as we were not in bed at 8pm, didn’t bother us…. If you were looking for an early night on a Friday night, there could possibly be some noise you may want to consider.

By way of accommodation – I could not fault the hotel. We got excellent rates on Expedia and I would recommend the Affina to any friends/colleagues coming to New York, providing it keeps getting good reviews, I would definitely return next year.

The service we received from the hotel staff was also of a high standard I can’t fault anyone. Door staff were excellent, the member of staff who carried our bags to the room, gave us a tour of the facilities and how to operate the air con (including how to turn it off), how to use the TV, fridge, ice box, lights, lamps and microwave…. This saved us so much time! The cleaner was never seen or heard, but did a great job – every morning when we got back from breakfast our room was made fresh. The reception and concierge were all helpful with our queries. Maintenance in particular were very helpful – when we arrived, I had a problem with my hair straighteners (voltage issues… nothing to do with the hotel) and I wanted to borrow an adapter…. Reception didn’t have any, but sent someone up from maintenance to see if they could help, after playing around with them, he went to get an adapter for me…. Although it still didn’t work, it was just excellent service helping me with something that wasn’t even the hotel’s problem. In the end it couldn’t be fixed so they directed me to the nearest shop to buy some (on a Sunday evening). We also had maintenance change lamps in the room, which we hadn’t even reported as broken, because the cleaning staff had noticed a bulb out….

My only suggestions about how the hotel could be improved are to make Wi-Fi free (or at least have pc's in the lobby with free acess to the internet. I only wanted to quickly check emails or facebook and it was thirteen dollars a day or sixty nine for the week..... way too much! Also, tea or coffee making facilities in the room would have been most welcome. Whilst im sure if we had asked, they would have provided them, it would have been nice to be able to make a cuppa in the morning.

All in all – whilst we didn’t spend that much time in our room as we were out exploring, whilst in New York on a tiring week, if your hotel is awful it really can ruin your entire trip – so I am very pleased that all the research I put in to find a great hotel paid off and we had an excellent stay….. My summary is that it is an excellent value hotel, great rooms and facilities and helpful staff.

P.S – I can highly recommend Rossini’s restaurant on 38th Street between Lexington and Park…. It is very old school new york, with a pianist most nights and only 2 min walk from the hotel. It was wonderful.

Reviewed 27 August 2009

We've enjoyed our stays at other Affinia properties--but not this stay at the Affinia Shelburne.
We called prior to arrival to request early check-in--but were told that we would just have to ask when we arrive (they didn't take our name or note our request). We arrived 1 1/2 hours before check in and were told there wasn't a room available unless we wanted to pay $30 for an upgrade. We were going to spend very little time in the room, so we declined. When we returned before dinner, we apparently had been upgraded to a larger room (very nice size with a microwave and frig)--leading us to wonder why we couldn't have been placed in this room at arrival.
With the exception of the doorman, we did not find the staff to be very friendly--or as friendly as other Affinia properties.
The kids had take Affinia up on their offer for special pillows, and we had requested the neighborhood experience kit--none of which were available when we arrived. On our way out for a show we asked about the pillows and were told they would be delivered. When we returned at 10:30--still no pillows so we called again. We called at 11:25 to tell the staff that if the pillows were not already on their way, to cancel our request (the kids were waiting up for their special pillows). Finally, the pillows were delivered. If Affinia is going to go out of its way to offer special pillows (which isn't necessary) then it must deliver. If you can't deliver--don't offer. We never rec'd the experience kit--and we did not follow up on our request for it.
When we finally tried to go to sleep, a very noisy a/c unit kept the adults awake. I adjusted the thermostat some--but it was about 90 degrees, so I could not turn off the unit. I saw limited options for resolving this at midnight with 2 sleeping kids. I had little faith that earplugs would be delivered in a timely manner.
When I spoke to the manager the next day, he offered his business card for a potential upgrade on my next stay. After much negotiation, he agreed to give us a $50 credit. I'm disappointed because when I book a hotel for sleep, then get very little sleep due to late arriving pillows and a noisy a/c; I do not believe I get my money's worth.

2  Thank MadisonTraveler12
ashelburneny, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2009

Dear MadisonTraveler12,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Affinia Shelburne Hotel. My name is David McManus and I am the General Manager of the Hotel. It is only through feedback from our valuable guests that we have an opportunity to work with our Team to resolve these issues to ensure they do not occur again. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us and hope you will reconsider returning as our guest in the future.

David McManus

Reviewed 26 August 2009

We recently stayed at the Shelburne for 4 nights in a 1 bed suite. I booked this hotel mainly due to the location - 10 minute walk to Grand Central and the excellent price on Expedia.

Upon check in we were offered an upgrade from a standard room to a suite for $30 a night - BARGAIN !!! Expedia priced the same room at an extra £300 !!!

The room 820 was lovely with a devine super king size bed in a seperate bedroom and a king size pull out sofa in the living area. With two bathrooms and an extra fridge in the bedroom the extra $30 a night was money well spent as it allowed us to purchase cereal and drinks for breakfast.

The housekeeping staff were excellent - they ensured our room was cleaned and the sofa bed remade and stored away every day.

Reception staff were extremely friendly especially Padima ???? who checked us in as were the bell staff.

As for the previous reviewer who moaned about flies - this is New York for gods sake and as it was over 90 degrees every day with 80% humidity some level of insect activity is inevitable.

For anyone considering the Shelburne my advice is book a standard room and pay the upgrade fee direct to the hotel, be prepared for a small slow lift - the same as all other NY hotels I have stayed in, and ignore the reviews from people who whinge about nothing other than flies in summer and absent irons !!!!

1  Thank melsy5
ashelburneny, Assistant General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2009

Dear Melsy5,

My name is Jennifer Baldwin and I am the Assistant General Manager of the Affinia Shelburne Hotel. Thank you so much for your recent feedback on your stay at the Affinia Shelburne! Nothing makes our Team happier than to hear we exceeded our guest's expectations. We look forward to having you back as our guest in the future.

Jennifer Baldwin