“Excellent Room Size For New York!”

Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #141 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 November 2005

We stayed here for 5 nights in mid-November 2005. The only slight downside is the location - it is just a tiny bit out the way if you intend on being close to Times Square or getting around via subway.

Better still, if you are travelling in from Newark, you can save yourself some money in taxi fees by using the Newark Liberty Airport Express - costs around $13 one-way and you are dropped a very short walk from the bus stop to the hotel.

The rooms are great. You have your own kitchen area with a microwave, fridge and basic cutlery. If you're willing to pay $10 a day, then you can access the internet via WebTV. Tea and Coffee making facilities were a welcome sight too. We had a slightly noisy air con unit, but the bed was very comfy.

Some nights were a little chilly in the room, as the air con/heater seemed to automatically determine how warm it thought you should be, depending on the outside temperature.

The lifts tended to be a little crowded at times and slow. Our advice is to use the staircases if you are on a lower floor, as very often much quicker.

The staff couldn't be more helpful (especially for New York). If you can get a deal on this hotel, then it comes recommended.

• Stayed: November 2005
6  Thank CockneyBrum
Write a ReviewReviews (4,968)

Reviewed 25 November 2005

Stayed at this hotel for 6 nights in September, purely based on reviews on this website and was not disappointed. The hotel staff were always keen and willing to help in anyway they could. Our room was clean and spacious. Great location lots of delis and restaurants all within close walking distance, Grand Central subway station is 5 minutes down the road. Would definetly recommend this hotel if your looking for somewhere to stay in NY.

Stayed: September 2005
1  Thank James R
Reviewed 22 November 2005

I stayed at the Shelburne for the ING NYC Marathon week and definiteky was a good choice. I had to stay a week, and I wanted an hotel with a kitchen in the rooms, so this was my choice. The room is definitely big, with a nice living room and a big room with two queen size beds. The bed was definitely confortable and I slept very well on it. The bathroom wasn't so big but comfortable, the shower worked very well and never ran out of warm water. The furniture was not so new but absolutely decent for the prize, the moquette on the floor was ok, I had a TV in each room (but I didn't watch it, so I can't tell if there was Pay TV or anything else). I also had an ironing board and an iron, very useful for I love to personally iron my shirt on some details before putting them on and the laundries at the hotels don't do it as well as I like usually, so I appreciated the find. The kitchen was not very big but not bad, with both electric and microwave ovens, a large fridge and comfortanele cooking fires. You also get dishes, cutlery and some pans and pots. Bring a good kitchen knife if you need it, the one they provide was not a sharp one.
They use to clean the room once a day. They always changed all the towels and i noticed they changed the sheets at least twice in a week, maybe more. The maid at my floor was very kind and whenever she accidentally found me inside the room (I often forgot the "do not disturb" sign) she always asked me at what hour she wouldn't disturb us.
The location is very convenient if you intend to use the subway: you're very close to Grand Central and all the lines are easily accessible from there. If you plan to use a taxi instead you'll better take a good planning of your week before deciding Murray Hill is the best place to stay. Anyway it's pretty close to Times Square, The Madison Square Garden, the Public Library and the Empire State Building.

3  Thank Unnickacaso
Reviewed 7 November 2005

Stayed here for 5 nights at end October on recommendation by Trip Advisor reviewers. Like New York this hotel grew on me. Superbly situated in Murray Hill, near historic 1860's houses,within walking distance of all major sites in Uptown and Midtown, this little gem of an hotel did not disappoint. Whilst initially I was a little disappointed by my room (facing inwards towards other rooms) due its dated decor, the room was generous sizewise, homely and clean with a firm bed and soft pillows. The iron didnt work but staff immediately replaced it with a new one - they were extremly helpful throughout our stay. The view from the roof is awesome at night (Chrysler and Empire State Buildings) and the Rare Bar downstairs always busy and full of life. Blooms cafe (5 mins away) is the ideal place to have breakfast and is a New york institution. The hotel arranged a limo for $50 (same price as catching a yellow cab) back to the airport to finish off our stay in style. Would I stay there again - you bet!

7  Thank Steelman
Reviewed 3 November 2005

Have to say found the place a great place for the money. Rooms were large enough and keep clean.
Location was good, for a starting point for heading out, but didn't find it as good for the evening.

Couple of downsides
First we orders a double room suite and was told due to the people checking out late it wasn't ready so we were put in two single suites and they would move our bags the following morning. In the end we told them we would stay in the two singles ones instead as we didn't fancy moving.

Secondly, there was some work going on the building next to us and we kept getting woken up by the noise in the morning. Friends had a room facing the other way and had no problems.

So overall it was a good experience and I've stayed at a few different places in New York.

Stayed: October 2005
1  Thank Grimoor
Reviewed 1 November 2005

Even if we could have done better, I would not have changed a thing. Our evening was near perfect at the Shelburne! I spent hours looking for the best hotel in the best location, but after struggling with the high $$$ hotels and millions of reviews, I just said enough. Click, click and it was booked.

We probably scored a break because the desk clerk put us on the roof. What a fantastic upgrade! Empire State Bldg to the west, Chrysler bldg to the east, Times Square a few blocks away...such a fabulous view. Though the bar on the roof was closed for the season, it was still decorated nicely with flowers and lights. And the slight chill just made us get a little closer...

Eddie the Doorman was extremely pleasant and helpful. Yes, I tipped nicely but it was a rare chance for the two of us to enjoy New York. All but one of the desk clerks were very nice, and the bellman was courteous as well.

Our room was excellent in so many ways: Quiet, very spacious, comfortable, clean, decorated nicely, and of course, on the top floor. If this is typical for NY, then people should stop complaining. But I since we hit the mother-load.

Of course, you want to hear the complaints. Only two related to the hotel. First, the desk clerk recommended "Gallagher's Steakhouse" before our Broadway show. It was pricey and plain, all at the same time. Second, Eddie the Doorman helped us hail a taxi at rush hour. Obviously not the best location because 30 minutes later, we considered cancelling our dinner and just eat a quick bite before the show. Fortunately, Muhammed al Andretti showed up and wisked us away quicker than you can say, "Is this review over yet?"

-Mike

10  Thank TheRule
A TripAdvisor Member
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 31 October 2005

We just returned from our first trip to NYC and had a blast. We had nothing to compare our hotel to since this was our first visit, but we enjoyed our stay immensely. The rooftop bar was not open but we enjoyed the view just the same. The "Rare" bar was a nice spot to enjoy after we walked all over. We took subways and found them easy and accessible from the Shelburne. We enjoyed Fagiolini's Restauarant just up the street (best cheesecake I have ever had). The food, service and price were all super.
Libretto's on 3rd Avenue was a great little spot, too. The meatball sandwich hit the spot on a cool fall day.
I would recommend this hotel and would return, although I would love to try the Benjamin (just not sure if it is worth the extra $$$).
P.S. We saw "Avenue Q" at the Golden Theatre and loved it, too!

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member