We stayed here for 5 nights in mid-November 2005. The only slight downside is the location - it is just a tiny bit out the way if you intend on being close to Times Square or getting around via subway.
Better still, if you are travelling in from Newark, you can save yourself some money in taxi fees by using the Newark Liberty Airport Express - costs around $13 one-way and you are dropped a very short walk from the bus stop to the hotel.
The rooms are great. You have your own kitchen area with a microwave, fridge and basic cutlery. If you're willing to pay $10 a day, then you can access the internet via WebTV. Tea and Coffee making facilities were a welcome sight too. We had a slightly noisy air con unit, but the bed was very comfy.
Some nights were a little chilly in the room, as the air con/heater seemed to automatically determine how warm it thought you should be, depending on the outside temperature.
The lifts tended to be a little crowded at times and slow. Our advice is to use the staircases if you are on a lower floor, as very often much quicker.
The staff couldn't be more helpful (especially for New York). If you can get a deal on this hotel, then it comes recommended.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Warm. Inviting. Social. Just right for a relaxed city stay. You love action-packed places. But some privacy when you need it. You want a happy medium, an opportunity to be social in a cool environment. Enter the Shelburne NYC, with its warm-toned interior design and homey common areas. Tucked into laid-back Murray Hill, a few blocks from Grand Central Station, it's just right for guests who like to pop down on the train for New York nights with a relaxed vibe. Come kick back, check out the views-and go up to the rooftop while you're at it. Join us nightly for a glass of red or white at our Wine Hour, located in the lobby from 5-6 p.M. Hotel Services Fee is $25 plus tax per room, per night and provides you with the following amenities: · $10 daily food and drink credit to our Cupboard or Corner Store* · Daily Wine Hour during Social Sips from 5-6PM · Wireless Internet access for all of your devices · 10% off at Celebrity Chef Geoffrey Zakarian’s The National Bar & Dining Rooms · In-room gourmet coffee and tea offerings · Unlimited package handling and storage prior to and during your stay · Business services, including printing · Local and domestic long distance calls · 24/7 access to our state-of-the-art fitness centers · Access to Affinia bikes (where applicable) · Concierge services *Must be redeemed daily, credit may not be rolled over **Fee is exclusive of service gratuities ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, TripOnline SA, LoveHolidays, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Affinia Shelburne Hotel New York City
- Sol Melia New York City
- Shelburne Murray Hill Hotel
- Affinia Shelburne New York City
- Shelbourne Hotel New York
- Shelbourne Hotel Nyc
- Shelburne Murray Hill New York