“great beds, lovely staff, a perfect New York experience!”

Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #141 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 July 2010

We loved the Shelburne. The staff was very welcoming and always helpful. A short walk from grand central station which takes you anywhere you want to go. You feel like a local when you return to the Shelburne. Nice, quiet neighborhood. Grab some snacks and drinks and enjoy them in your room to save some money. Then splurge on theater tickets and nice restaurants! The concierge was great and can get you tickets to sold out shows like Wicked and Jersey Boys and Lion King. The beds were amazing...I agree with a previous poster, better than ours at home! We ate at Rare twice and would say do not miss the truffle fries, sweet potato fries (with maple cream dipping sauce), and the onion rings($4-$5each). I had the cobb salad ($15) which had 2 huge pieces of grilled chicken on top of a chopped masterpiece of egg, blue and cheddar cheese chunks, avocado, bacon, tomato, onion and a bit of lettuce. It was very rich and very good! The burgers were also fabulous, but we loved the sides even more, we found we could've made a meal out of those. The rooftop bar is pretty, but seems to be a local hotspot and that was our only disappointment with the hotel. The bartenders and doormen at the rooftop bar were actually rude and nasty. We gulped down our $15 each cocktail and promptly left. Plenty of other places to hang out in New York, no need to waste time there, but so surprised that that occurred. We had a standard double room. Our room was large with 2 double beds which I would say were actually queen size. We had a huge closet, 4 big drawers, bathroom had counter space as well as space underneath to store items. The refrigerator was very handy. We were on the 4th floor and never had elevator problems as stated by other posters. We could easily use the stairs if we wanted to. We loved the Shelburne.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,965)

Reviewed 8 July 2010

The Affinia Shelburne was exactly what I was looking for. I believe that a nice hotel is one of the pleasures of travel one should splurge a little for. While it's not the Plaza, I think the Shelburne is a good, middle-of-the-budget compromise. The location couldn't have been better, right in midtown just a few blocks from Grand Central. I liked the chic touches.

The best amenity was access to the rooftop bar. The crowd was fashionable and the vibe was social, but relaxed, like we were all at some hip dinner party. Definitely a good place for a cocktail before dinner.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2010

This place is great. We are very choosy about our accomodations and we were more than pleased with Affinia Shelburne. The place is spotlessly clean and very spacious. Nice kitchen area with microwave, fridge with icemaker, coffee maker. Nice granite counter tops in bathroom and kitchen. Plenty of room for hanging clothes in armoir. Iron and ironing board in room if needed. Nice toiletries replenished daily. Great location in a very nice neighborhood. Bars, stores, retaurants in walking area. Just a great place to stay. The employees couldn't have been nicer and more helpful for directions, etc. Please do yourself and you family a favor and try this place. It was a really great experience for us. Bed are fabulous.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jandean1
affiniaduny, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2010

Dear JanDean,

My name is David McManus and I am the General Manager of the the Affinia Shelburne Hotel. Thank you for taking the time to post such a complimentary review of our property on TripAdvisor. I am so happy to hear that you connected with everything the Affinia Shelburne has to offer our guests! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

David McManus

Reviewed 7 July 2010

I booked two rooms with bookings.com in feb 2010 following excellent reviews on this site. And we were not disappointed!
We arrived late at night around midnight, check in was efficient and very friendly. We took my sons to their room ( 1514) ~ it was massive, I would call it a suite, not a room! Really large lounge area, big bathroom & huge bedroom with two large beds.
Then we went into our room (1511) and things got even better! Our lounge had a door leading to a narrow balcony with fantastic views of the Empire State Building and around the corner, the Chrysler Building. We just couldn't believe how lucky we were, and felt like real celebrities!!
The beds were so comfy. Shame we did not get more leisurely time to relax in them!!
The kitchens had a coffee maker & ground coffee pods, which made lovely coffee.
My husband & I did go to the roof top bar a couple of times. It was really lovely up there but extremely expensive ~$15 for a cocktail. We did not eat in 'rare' but we did have a drink, again quite pricey.
Overall, the hotel was absolutely fantastic, we would definitely stay there again. Just beware, I got caught out by not realising taxes weren't included in the bookings.com price. My bill was total $300 more than i had planned for!! totally my fault but just something to watch out for!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank MissMental

Dear MissMental,

Wow, Wow, Wow!! Thank you so much for posting your feedback on the Affinia Shelburne on TripAdvisor! As the Assistant General Manager of the Hotel, I am so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Our Team makes every effort to really "connect" with our guests to ensure they have a great stay. (And I have to agree that our beds are great too!!!!) I look forward to the opportunity to have you back as our guest in the future.

Jennifer Baldwin

Reviewed 6 July 2010

We were travelling with our two small children so had opted for a one bedroom suite. We had requested one with two double beds but when we arrived were told that we had one double bed and one sofa bed, this was despite two emails to the hotel to check having seen on the invoice that it said ‘one bed apart’ even though we had selected ‘two bed’. We also found out after booking that children could get a kids kit, we requested them by email but heard no more. We were given the option of switching rooms to one with two double beds but were told that the room was below the roof top bar and might be noisy. We decided to stick with the sofa bed. We had planned to sleep on it ourselves as it was in the lounge area but having seen the size of it (very small!) decided our children (aged 6 and 8) would be sleeping there! They weigh next to nothing but they complained that they could feel the bars beneath the mattress so an adult would not be at all comfortable. Also, when the sofa bed was made up, it just had a sheet and thin blanket. We had to ask for a duvet.

The double bed in the separate bedroom was huge and incredibly comfortable (better than our bed at home!). The blinds were really thick so it was totally dark. The best thing was that the room was so peaceful. We were on the 14th floor and I could hardly hear the traffic at all, and I didn’t hear a single noise from any other room.

All the reviews had mentioned how small New York hotel rooms are so we were pleasantly surprised with the size of the suite. The kitchen area was very useful as, apart from the first morning, we made breakfast there and even dinner one night when everyone was exhausted from sight-seeing.

The bathroom was large and clean. There wasn’t a bath but a huge walk-in shower. We would have quite liked a bath to soak in at the end of the day but it was fine without.

We did pay quite a bit for the room but it was (just about) worth it.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank zagajam
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I frequently travel to NYC and enjoy staying in different parts of the city each time. I would put this location in the Murray Hill area. It's nice because its more residential than touristy, so there's not near as much street noise and way less crowds than midtown has. The hotel staff is lovely, always greeting you when you walk in or pass them in the hallways. The rooms are very modern and eclectic. I was granted an early check in upon my arrival and was pleased with how clean and fresh the room was. The bed is one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever stayed in. Add the option of choosing from a "pillow menu" and you can really create a blissful sleep. I chose the Swedish memory pillow and the sound pillow. Affinia allows you to select the pillows ahead of time, so that they are either in your room when you arrive or are brought to you shortly after. They also offer "experience kits." I chose the walking tour one which was brought to me in a wicker basket and had a deck of cards with suggested tours, a map of Manhattan, a guide book, and a pedometer. Its just the nice little extras that made this stay wonderful. The room service from their onsite restaurant, Rare, was excellent. I highly recommend the French fry tasting basket. The rooftop bar provides exceptional views of the Empire State and Chrysler buildings. The only complaint I have is that the sound proofing on my floor was somewhat poor. I could hear every door open and close and housekeeping knocking on other people's doors every morning. I've heard that the rooms on higher floors are quieter, so you may want to request that if you're a light sleeper. Otherwise, I will definitely be choosing the Affinia family of hotels for my next visit.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank iheartparis
Reviewed 4 July 2010

This Hotel is a true Gem...Great Neighborhood...Lovely Suites...Professional, Caring Service.

We are Native New Yorkers, living out of State, so we know New York Neighborhoods and culture very well.

We have just returned to the Shelburne after several years. The Renovations have been extensive and very well done. Staff Culture remains caring, professional and knowledgeable. From the time you make your reservation, through the time you check out, you will be love this fabulous New York Boutique Hotel. If you add great Value for Money, there's no contest....Stay at the Shelburne.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple