“Great place to stay!”

The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel
Ranked #299 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My wife and I, along our children in the past, have been staying at this hotel since it was constructed and was Lowe's City Squire! The location can't be beat and, with the renovation, it will be a very much in demand. Unfortunately, I must assume, the rate structure will not be as attractive as it is now.

We look forward to the completion of the renovation!

Paul

Room Tip: location, location, location, location, location, location, location, location, location, location...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to post a positive review about your hotel stay. We appreciate your loyalty over the years and look forward to being of service to you on your next visit to the city.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

We booked this hotel 9 months ago and had no idea of their refurbishment, that said the upgrade to reception did not interefere with us in any way, but there were some basics that they simply couldn't get right.

I was impressed with the pre arrival e-mail they send to see if you have any specific needs and I though if that level of customer service was what we could expect we were set to enjoy our annual NY trip.

Arriving after a long journey (from London) and dropped off some 30 yards from the entrance I would have expected a bell boy to have been available to take our bags as it was obvious we were heading for the hotel and after battling through the crowded streets, revolving doors and arriving at reception I noticed a bell boy glaring at his cell phone, a disappointing start.

Check in was painless enough, again no offer of help with our bags to the room though.

Room was a great size for NY with a view towards Times Sq, it had everything we were told it would have, the bed was comfortable though a sheet an thin duvet wasn't ideal for December, we therefore kept the heating on through the night which eventually gave up after a few days and needed maintenance to repair (which they did promptly).
Room was extremely tired as was the lobby, probably 30 years since it last saw a tin of paint.

I was expecting a fax though after speaking with two members of reception staff it appears no-one in the hotel knows where their fax machine is, Valerie stepped in and gave me her personal e-mail address which I duly passed on and she printed the documents for me and delivered them to my room, quality service I'd kind of expected from the start.

No bar is not ideal but you don't have to walk far in NY to grab a beer.
A small drinks/bagel/pastry cart was in reception but the quality was average and most items costly, a major hotel like this needs something bigger and better and I assume the refurbishment with provide this.

The phone in the room didn't work so I couldn't get a bell boy to help us with our many bags on exit, only when we arrived in reception did we get some help.

All in all it was a decent stay, we didn't pay a fortune for the room, the location was good but the hotel has some basic issues it has to address, I doubt we'll re-visit even post refurb but you can't get away from the fact it is an inexpensive hotel in a prime location and as NY hotel rooms go this one was spacious.

1  Thank UK2NY
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear UK2NY,

Thank you for posting a review about your Hotel stay. We are disappointed to know that we were unable to provide you with a five star experience and apologize for any inconvenience you faced at the Hotel. I am happy to inform you that we are in the process of making some important enhancements to include a lobby bar which will add to the amenities available to our guests. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel to experience the exiting changes being undertaken.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

We stayed at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel for 4 nights in 2 different rooms. The first room had severe problems in the plumbing (no hot water, the toilet clogged), so we were offered another room which didn't have any of those problems.

Luckily the staff was always polite and willing to help. Special mention goes to the Front Desk Manager Tim Olohan who was extremely helpful with getting us the second room.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Kari K,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your Hotel stay. We are happy to learn that Tim was able to correct the unfortunate situation you encountered with the initial room assigned to you. Our ultimate goal is to ensure all our guests who stay with us have a desire to return and we eagerly look forward to being of service to you again.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

I started to give this hotel two stars, but didn't think it was fair to post a bad review without first emailing hotel management to air my grievances. If you read other poor reviews, the management responds and asks to be contacted, so I thought I would contact them in advance of my poor review. I got no response, so I took away an additional star. If you have a crappy hotel and you try to pretend that you care, you must respond to your unhappy guests. Oh well.
I chose this hotel because of the location. I ended up making a mistake. Although the location and staff I encountered were good, everything else was bad. Upon arrival to the hotel there was noise, dust, and people everywhere. They are in the midst of renovating the lobby making for a very uncomfortable and uninviting space. The room looked like it was part of a fraternity house. Mold was visible in the old, outdated bathroom. Wallpaper was peeling throughout the entire room. The carpets were worn bare in some spots. The flat screen television was seriously lacking in channels, and the channels that we did get were of poor picture quality. The bed was comfortable, but the blankets were of a questionable age. Each time we left the room we were greeted with the smell of smoke, both cigarette and marijuana. I wouldn't have booked this hotel if I knew smoking was allowed. For the price, I would never think about setting foot in this hotel again. I have stayed at roadside motels of higher quality than this disaster. I travel to New York regularly for work but decided, since this was for vacation, that I would try a new hotel. Big mistake.

3  Thank Tracy C
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Dear Tracy C,

Thank you for posting a review about your Hotel stay. We are extremely concerned about your comments and want you to know that we take all guest feedback seriously in an effort to better our services for future guest stays. Please know that we are a 100% smoke free Hotel and strictly enforce this policy at the Hotel. We apologize for the unfavorable experience you had during your stay and want to know if there is anything we can do to win back your trust. I welcome the opportunity to speak to you directly so that I can address any other concerns you have.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

having only two nights in new york the manhattan is in a ideal location ,it is two minutes from time square ,and no more than a ten minute walk to central park, rockerfeller centre ,and 5th ave .there is a subway station just round the corner and the doormen can sort you out taxi which was handy as there were six people in are party.
the rooms are of a good standard , clean and comfortable,two of are friends had a room near the lifts which was a little noisy at times but not to much of a bother.there was some construction work being carried out to the lobby while we were there but this wasnt a problem ,there is no bar or dining area in the hotel but there is no shortage of places to go within a minutes walk, there is a breakfast cart set up in the lobby every morning which we did not use but looked well stocked.we did not spend to much time at the hotel but for the time we were there the staff were very good, helpful and courteous, if you are in new york for a short time this is a good hotel to stay in at a great location

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank bernie4787

Dear Bernie4787,

Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay. We appreciate the favorable comments made about the service you received during your stay and your recommendation of our Hotel. We look forward to being of service to you again should your travels bring you back to New York.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

This is my second review of this hotel. The hotel is under construction. The rooms are in poor shape. The bathtub was clogged which created a 3 inch swimming pool while I was showering. I had to call to get soap delivered as the maid service did not provide any. The heat could not be adjusted. The poorly renovated bathroom was fitted with a very cheap version of a bathtub liner to hide the old bathtub's condition. The experience of the people posting good reviews do not in any way match my experience. I stayed at this hotel in early December of 2013. I am so passionate about the bad experience that I had, that I feel that is my duty to warn other travelers as I based my decision to stay at this hotel based upon the feedback provided on this website.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Steve C

Dear Steve C,

Thank you for posting another review about your Hotel stay. We regret that your return stay did not meet your expectations and apologize for all the inconveniences you faced. Please know this is not the type of service we pride ourselves on delivering to our guests who choose to stay at the Hotel. Your comments were discussed with the team in an effort to better our service delivery for all future guests at the Hotel. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to win back your loyalty and trust.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

To the staff and management of The Manhattan: THANK YOU! I had some concerns about my reservation at The Manhattan after reading a number of bad reviews about the hotel. I stayed at this hotel a few times in the past when it was part of the Starwood family of hotels, so had comfort knowing what to expect from a Starwood property. Even though the hotel is no longer affiliated with Starwood Properties and is undergoing significant renovations I decided to bring my family back due primarily to the size of the hotel rooms, which are larger than the typical NYC hotel room. I have stayed at a number of other hotels in the city that are tiny, noisy, smelly, have rude staff, etc. Unfortunately this common in cities that entertain millions of tourists every year. However, at The Manhattan I was very pleased with the friendliness of the staff, as well as superior condition of our newly renovated hotel room. I know there is a lot of work that needs to be done on this hotel, but this really is a diamond in the rough. The location is outstanding, the staff is terrific, and the new rooms are clean and very functional. I applaud management for their efforts in making sure we had an enjoyable trip and look forward staying here again.

John H.

Room Tip: Higher floors are always less noisy in NYC. More importantly, treat the staff with respect and you c...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank John3320
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear John H,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments about your Hotel stay. There is nothing more rewarding for us than knowing our guests have had a memorable experience at the Hotel and have enjoyed their travels to New York. Thank you for your review, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.