“Two-Night Wedding Stay”

Ranked #298 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Jackson Heights, New York
“Two-Night Wedding Stay”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My husband and I live in Jackson Heights, Queens, but recently got married at Central Park so we decided to stay at the Manhattan Times Square (in the interest of full disclosure, we partly chose that hotel because a friend of mine works there and we were able to take advantage of a friends and family discount).

I stayed with my sister the night before the wedding and my husband and I stayed on the wedding night. The location is definitely great for tourists; Times Square is a quick walk from the door. It was also great for us because the 7th Avenue B/D/E stop is right around the corner (the E is right by our house).

We were on the top floor (the 22nd). The room decor was nice, but the best part was a GIANT terrace that ran the length of the room. There was a little table with two chairs out on the terrace, so it was great to hang out there if we wanted some fresh air. We could actually look down on a rooftop bar across the street, which was pretty cool. The windows were big and let a lot of light into the room, but the curtains were able to block it out when we needed to. (The lights of Times Square are not exactly conducive to sleep.) I didn't notice any noise coming in from outside, but I'm also a heavy sleeper. (My sister went into the bathroom at one point and mentioned that she heard some "activity" in the room next to ours; I was sitting on the bed at the time and couldn't hear it from there.)

The lighting in the bathroom was wonderful. The mirror was surrounded with an LED light - sort of an updated version of the dressing room mirrors you see in movies. It was fantastic. The tub was also very big and the shower head was really great, but we had a problem figuring out the drain. I'm not sure if it was clogged or if something was broken, but there was a knob that looked like it should've closed and opened the drain, but it didn't seem to ever fully open. That was kind of annoying.

There was also a fantastic walk-in closet. I kept my wedding gown in there and the rails in the closet were high enough that the dress could hang properly. Not true of the closet at home where my dress is living now. :(

As some folks mentioned, the elevators were a little slow, but honestly I didn't think they were any slower than when I worked on the 26th floor of a building in Tribeca. (That said, it can be painful even when you're used to it.)

There was a nice looking bar downstairs, but not open yet.

The staff people we met were all very nice. I think only one person (who I checked in with) knew I had a friend who worked there. When my sister and I misplaced our room keys after the first night, we were able to get new ones easily. Then we found the old ones.

It was a very short cab ride to the west side of the park where we were getting married (the Ladies Pavilion), but if you just want to visit the park and aren't in a wedding gown, it's only 8 blocks away - a very nice walk.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer C
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Jennifer C,

Congratulations on your recent wedding! We are very happy to be part of this special occasion and thank you for detailing your positive experience to future travelers. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel during your visits to the city.

Brendan Moraes-General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,129)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed her for 6 days with a few of my family and friends. Unfortunately some of out rooms where not ready when we arrived but they did discount the room to compensate. I have to say, they were very polite and helpful. The rooms were lovely and spacious, and the beds, well, struggled to get out they were so comfy!! Certainly would visit again. So close to Times Square and Central Park, couldn't be in a better place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank rachelannwilliams
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Rachelanngoddard,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are happy to learn from your comments that you enjoyed the location of the Hotel and the service you received during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back when you revisit New York.

Mold, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Rooms are very basic and in need of some updating
I went for my daughters birthday and had asked for balloons to be delivered as a surprise, they forgot them, a little disappointing, esp as they had emailed me to tell me this would be done.

There are four lifts and always a que, at one point most people used the stairs!!

The hotel was convenient, but that is all. The rooms are not sound proofed and although they stated free wifi in the lobby, this meant waiting for an hour to use on of two computers.

Would I stay there again, probably not, unless they brought it into this century.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are much bigger, but not sound proofed.
1 Thank Amanda J
Dear Amanda J,

Thank you for posting a review. We appreciate the feedback you have given us as this will enable us to improve on our service delivery for future guest stays. We sincerely apologize for failing to meet your expectations at the Hotel and ask that you give us another opportunity to redeem ourselves should you travel back to New York.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Walton-on-the-Naze, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Anyone thinking about staying in this hotel should think again. We checked in on Mon the 26th May for a 4 night stay, when we got to our room it was clear it had not been cleaned very well, the bathroom sink was blocked and was full of someones dirty water, we called housekeeping and they never answered the phone, tried the front desk and again there was no reply. In the end i was forced to walk along the hotel corridor to find a maid who said she would report it and get it sorted, this was at about 2pm in the afternoon. By 6.30pm when it still hadn't been sorted out i had to go to the front desk, then they sent someone up who was rude, it wasn't his fault or so he told me. After that, our TV didn't work, the lights in the room where dangerous, the toilet flushed itself 24 hours a day. On our 3rd day, our room wasn't cleaned until 9.30pm and that was only because we asked for it to be cleaned at 11am, then again at 1pm and again at 6pm, it was only cleaned after i went to the front desk at 9pm. A manager came up and looked at the room and it was finally cleaned at 9.30pm. The manager told us our room would be cleaned early next day but again it wasn't, it was only after another visit to the front desk at 5pm was someone sent up at 5.30pm and by then we'd gave up. The hotel offered us at first a late check out and then a free breakfast, we refused both. This hotel is dirty, grubby and well worn, the staff lie and are lazy. We couldn't wait to get out of this place, anyone thinking of booking up to stay here should think again.

Room Tip: I can't add anything but i was told that the rooms on the 7th floor where at least clean
3 Thank Frank B
Dear Frank B,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate the feedback you have given us and ask that you contact myself or any of the Managers on Duty on 212-581-3300 or via e-mail manhattangr@mtshotel.com and we will be happy to assist your further.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

we were disappointed as rooms were not ready on arrival, we were told would be ready in and hour but were still not available 5 hours later (9pm) so were given alternative rooms. the rooms were scruffy and definitely not what we were expecting after looking at them on the hotel's website. I was also bitten by bed bugs! there was a positive side as the location was excellent - 10 minute walk to central park, 5 minute walk to times square.

Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

1 Thank Stephen B
Dear Stephen B,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We sincerely apologize for the unfavorable stay you had and want you to know that the service you received is not the type of experiences we want our guest to depart with from the Hotel. Please contact me or any of the Managers on Duty on 212-581-3300 or via e-mail manhattangr@mtshotel.com so that we can assist you further.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Just back from 5 nights stay. Firstly great location, easy walking distance to Times Square, Rockefeller, Central Park, 5th Avenue. Rooms very basic but ok, biggest issues are queuing for the elevators and reception! Lets put it this way - we walked down 15 flights of stairs and it was still quicker than waiting to a lift to go down to the ground floor! This happened on 2 of our 5 days stay. Reception was always packed with only 2 staff on and they seemed overwhelmed but were very helpful when you got to them. Overall I would go back but you are paying for the location rather than anything else. If you have mobility issues and rely heavily on using elevators then I would say consider this hotel carefully.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank travel-o-holic76
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Travel-O-Holic,

Thank you for posting a review. Please know that we are in the process of modernizing all our elevators and appreciate your understanding while we go through this process with each elevator.We look forward to welcoming you back should you return to New York.

Jervis Bay, Australia
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Where to start... travelled over Easter (April) 2014.
Listed as four star, in Australia it would be only a three star, if that.
Rooms were basic. Heater was clunky and loud. Lobby could do with a sweep and mop.
Reception debited my bank twice for our accommodation. Then denied it even when I showed my online banking as proof. I then chased it up with my bank and they got the money back.
Of the four elevator/lifts only 3 worked and they were beyond slow, using the emergency stairs were as busy as Times Square!
But, on the positive, the door men when beyond amazing, they helped us so much! I cannot fault them. and the location was very good.

Room Tip: Get a room on the lower floors so when the elevator/lifts are taking forever or broken you don't...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Courtney F,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate the feedback you have provided us which will aid us in correcting our shortcomings for future guest stays. We hope to have an opportunity to be of service again should your travels bring you back to New York.