“Location is the best”

The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel
Ranked #299 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My kids, (20 something), and I made a detour from our vacation and ended up in Manhattan. At 5 pm we realized we were going to spend the night so logged into hotel tonight and found this hotel for $150 tax included. That's a bargain to be at Times Square. We weren't there for the room but to see the city. The clerk was helpful with assuring me that we would had the type of room we requested with a roll away. Check in and out was super fast. The room was ok and clean. Not 5 star but good enough especially for what we paid. Staff was very nice. Internet is quite expensive especially for the speed and the fact that you can only use 2 devices at one time. Parking was quite expensive $53 but it's NYC and that's normal.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear dbbfl,

Thank you for posting a review. We appreciate your candid feedback to future travelers and hope to have another opportunity to host you should you travel back to the city.

There are newer reviews for The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Lobby is very modern and nice- with a breakfast bar and computers available for use. Reception staff was helpful with check in, and the concierge was great at providing us with directions for the subway.
The elevator system was a little bit on the dated side, and a little bit slow.
In terms of the rooms, they are fairly dated, but comfortable for the stay. Room was relatively clean, other than- we noticed significant staining and yellowing on the duvet on the bed in the room that we stayed in.
The housekeeping staff was extremely friendly.
Location wise it was perfect. So close to all of the main landmarks.
Wifi was way too expensive- 14.99 for one day of wifi. And parking was also on the pricey side 125$ for two days of parking.

Dear kmcdougall12,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and want you to know that we are in the process of making some enhancements at the Hotel that will benefit future guest stays. We appreciate your understating while we go through this process and hope to have another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

This hotel is located right next to Times square and has a lot of restaurants and bars close by. The rooms are dated and I had a bad first experience with the room we got. The duvet cover had food on it that either did not come out in the wash or the sheets were not replaced. I called guest services who were apologetic and they got the sheets changed right away. The rest of the room seemed clean however the rooms are small and there is not a lot of place to move around or store your baggage. Luckily we packed light and only had one suitcase which we stored in the closet so that we had some space to move around. Overall if you don't plan to spend a lot of time in your room, this hotel is a good choice because of its location and cost.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Cliff P,

Thank you for posting a review. Your feedback is appreciated as it allows us to improve our service delivery for future guest stays. We hope to have another opportunity to host you should you travel back to New York.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

My daughter and I went to NYC for a few days recently. We stayed at the Hotel. We were very pleased. It was so convenient to the "action"! Within walking distance to great shopping, shows, theater and food. The only thing I didn't understand was why they didn't have a complimentary breakfast...had to pay for everything...even internet in our room...although you could go to the lobby and use it free. Overall it is a great place to stay!

Room Tip: We went on the 11th floor....was afraid it would be noisy at night being on Times Square but didn...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear JoAnn W,

Thank you for posting a review. We are happy to learn that the location of the Hotel was convenient and that you were pleased with your stay experience. We look forward to hosting you again should you travel back to the city.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

The Manhattan at Times Square is in a great location - just up from the hub of all the action. Plenty of Deli's and shopping all around. Everything is within walking distance. The hotel is a bit run down now and could do with an upgrade, elevator system old and slow. However the rooms were clean. We shared a room with our teenage boys which we found cramped for four of us, however when travelling on a budget this met the criteria. Wifi expensive so used free wifi in other places. Breakfast very expensive so we used local deli's. Really enjoyed having the coffee/tea making facilities in the room. Overall a good choice.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Dustygirl44,

Thank you for posting a review. We appreciate the feedback you have given us and want you to know that we are making some enhancements at the Hotel and are currently in the process of modernizing our elevators. We appreciate your understanding while we go through this process and look forward to welcoming you again should your travels bring you back to New York.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

In 2013, we stayed at the Manhattan Hotel on times square in New York. They were undergoing renovations, but we figured they would still have a sense for customer service. There was a lot of noise, the bell men were rude, the wait time to get our bags once we checked out and prior to departing for the airport was really bad, since they housed these bags in some guest rooms on upper floors. They finally had to ask us to go to those rooms to find our bags. As is the norm, when a hotel is undergoing renovations, there will be some inconveniences, so that is not the real issue. The issue I have is what they do after they know of shortcomings. Well I simply wrote about my experience, seeing that it was a special personal occassion I was in New York for. Shortly after, I got an email from the Guest Experiences manager there, apologizing and appearing genuine in her quest to secure my loyalty, by offering a discounted rate (30% off the lowest rate) the next time I was there. I took that at face value and was prepared to give her the benefit of at least following up on my experience. When I decided to to go back to New York, I decided I would email her to see if she was true to her word...To my surprise, I didnt get a response to my two emails. At the end of July 2014 I plan to go to New York again and again, wrote to her to see if maybe last time, she might have been away. Again, no response at all. I feel that if she wasn't prepared to make amends, then no empty promises should have been made. This makes me feel that she had to respond to the original note so she can let her boss know that all is okay, but not have to follow through on the commitments or hope I never show up there again. Well, the non response clearly tells me that The Manhattan hotel does not take Customer retention seriously. Frankly for the price, I was and continue to be much more satisfied with the Sheraton at Times Square.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Al n n,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. While it is never pleasant to hear of our shortcomings, your comments are instrumental in helping us in our endeavor of achieving total guest satisfaction. We apologize for not being responsive to your e-mails and ask you to please contact me or any of our Managers on Duty on 212-581-3300 or via e-mail manhattangr@mtshotel.com so that we have the opportunity to communicate with you directly.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Just want to thank Ron at the concierge desk for all his help in getting my Mom a wheelchair so that we could get her around the city and enjoy the sites. The staff at this hotel are great! It was our second time staying here with many more to come. Thanks again Ron...we miss you and hope you enjoyed the ice cream bar! Joanne Vargas and Phyllis Welsh

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank joanne v

Dear Joanne V,

Thank you for posting a 5 star review. We are delighted to know you had a pleasant experience at the Hotel. I will share your appreciation with Ron and the team as we anxiously look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.