“Good Service in NYC”

The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel
Ranked #299 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 18 July 2014

It is hard to find people at the front desk at a hotel in NYC that care about your stay. Most just want to check you in and out without even talking to you. This hotel is different. They care. At the front desk I met an employee named Mohammad that made sure I was able to make my meeting by taking care of my luggage and checking me in as I ran out the door. Impressively the very next day I had another good experience with a different employee named Eddie who also helped me out with a great lunch location to take my client.
I am impressed with the people who work there. They helped me make my business trip successful. Good luck finding this type of service somewhere else in New York city.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear FrankPrince,

Thank you for taking the time to post a 5 star review. We value the feedback you have given to future travelers and will share your appreciation with Mohammed, Eddie and the team. We look forward to welcoming you again when your travels bring you back to New York.

There are newer reviews for The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stayed at the Manhattan at Times Square Hotel recently whilst visiting New York. This hotel is in a great location in close proximity to loads of bars, shops and dining options. The Hotel is not 5 star by any means but clean and the room was comfortable enough and the staff were friendly. Overall I would recommend this hotel as value for money particularly in view of New York prices.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Steve H,

Thank you for taking the time to post a positive review about your stay experience and for recommending our Hotel to future travelers. We are happy that you enjoyed our location and found value during your stay at the Hotel. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you should your travels bring you back to New York.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I booked through booking.com firm for 3 nights but the room was disgusting! Our room smelled like vomit and mold in bathroom, and no other rooms to go too. I moved to Hilton.
Pay a little extra and DO NOT STAY HERE!!!
I had 2 friends that also booked rooms but not firm. They both, high tailed it out of The Manhattan and went to the Hilton Garden without even knowing my situation.

Room Tip: Upper floor less room but ....
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Cathyj1007,

Thank you for posting a review. Your comments are very concerning and we would like to have the opportunity to communicate with you directly. Please contact me or any of our Managers on Duty on 212-581-3300 or via e-mail manhattangr@mtshotel.com

Reviewed 17 July 2014

The only thing that this hotel had going for it was the location right near Times Square. My friend and I price lined this looking for a 3.5 star hotel at a minimum and were extremely disappointed in what we ended up with. We had booked for two beds and instead got one queen, they were nice enough to at least put us in a handicapped room so we could get a king sized bed, but that was all that they could do. The service was pretty disappointing as well, when I asked them to make the room feather free they seemed more annoyed than anything and the guy who came to do the change just handed me the new pillows shoving them in to the door and then walked away.

The shower was another huge disappointment as there was absolutely NO water pressure, it was easier to do a sponge bath in the sink than to take a shower.

Overall, a complete and total disappointment and a place I'd never say again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Glenn S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate the feedback you have given us and sincerely apologize for our inability to meet your expectation during your stay at the Hotel. Your comments were shared with the team in an effort to improve on our service delivery for future guest stays. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to win back your loyalty and trust.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Great hotel, obviously very pricey considering the location.

They were doing renovations in the lobby when we got there so it looked messy. The customer service was great but it is an outdated hotel compared to others around the Manhattan core.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lovepcd
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Lovepcd,

Thank you for posting a review. We appreciate your feedback and are happy that you had a favorable experience at the Hotel. We look forward to hosting you again on your return to New York.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Let's start with the positives - the location is fantastic and if you're lucky enough to book one of the newly renovated rooms than you'll at least enjoy your surroundings. However, that's it.

I booked this hotel through Expedia so I did not know which hotel I was getting until it was already booked and paid for. However, after seeing the location and browsing around the website, I was happy with the selection. That sentiment changed drastically over the course of the trip.

The first room we were booked in smelled like mold and the air conditioning kept turning off. However, we decided to tough it out the first night since we got in pretty late. The next morning we woke up sweating to death because the air conditioning had turned off in the middle of the night and the room was 75 degrees, not very comfortable at all when you consider the heat and humidity of New York City in June. But having a full day of activities ahead of us, we put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door and left for the day.

When we came back later that afternoon the mold and mildew smell was even worse. But more disturbingly, despite hanging the Do Not Disturb sign when we left and it still hanging on the door when we returned, housekeeping had cleaned our room. I called the front desk and spoke to a manager, complaining about the smell, air conditioning and invasion of privacy. He sent a maintenance man to the room who agreed that it smelled like mold and so the manager moved us to a new room, offered us free Internet (which did not work) and passes for breakfasts (which were valued at $20 but included a coffee, bagel and piece of fruit).

Now, to the hotel's credit, while the old rooms looked like a cheap motel from the 80s, the new room was newly renovated and looked like what you would expect a Times Square hotel that is over $300/night would look like. Unfortunately, in this room too the air conditioning kept turning off on its own, making the entire trip extremely uncomfortable. Are the rooms climate controlled by management? Were we just unlucky enough to get two rooms where the air conditioning is broken? Either way, it was unacceptable.

On our second day in the city we left for another day of activities and again hung the Do Not Disturb sign on the door. To our complete dismay, when we returned later that afternoon the DND sign was on the floor of our room and the room had been cleaned. So we experienced an invasion of privacy twice - first the sign was completely ignored and the second time housekeeping took it off the door and dropped it on the floor. When I called management to complain, he said he would let housekeeping know but there was nothing he could or would do.

Of course, because I booked the trip through a third party site, I could not demand a refund from the hotel. And unfortunately, because I called Expedia after the trip was over and not during our stay, the best they would offer us was a $25 credit to use for a future trip. In the end, all of the problems we experienced with this hotel ruined our trip and I would not recommend that anyone ever stay here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear MKleid620,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are disappointed to know you did not have a favorable experience and sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you faced during your stay. Please know this is not the type of service we pride ourselves on delivering to our guest and correction measures have been taken to avoid any future guest from experiencing the same. We hope to have an opportunity to redeem ourselves should you travel back to New York.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We just got back from a weekend in NYC. We stayed at the Manhattan at Times Square which was an ideal location and one of the cheapest hotels we could find. It is a little out of date, but not horrible. We were close to many Subway access points and tons of restaurants/pubs nearby and of course times square. The hotel itself was fine. The room was clean and actually larger than we were expecting. The room was hot so we stopped by the front desk as we were leaving in the morning and asked someone to check the A/C. When we returned in the evening the A/C had been completely turned off so the room was ten times worse than when we left. The bellhops were great and locked up our luggage so we could check out, but our plans were not to leave until late afternoon, so that was very helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Ourfamily0f4_4-fun,

Thank you for posting a review. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to know that the location of the Hotel was to your liking. Please know your comments were discussed with the team in an effort to improve our service delivery for future guests. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you should you return to New York.