“Much Better This Time”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Richmond, Virginia
“Much Better This Time”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I have stayed here several times with family members over the course of several years. We have had mostly good stays but experienced a significant service failure here about a year ago and stopped staying here. On my previous T.A. review the reputation manager responded that he would like the chance to show us the experience we deserve. So- I e mailed him (when evaluating hotels on T.A. I frequently look for instances where there was a response to a complaint and assume that the hotel cares---a big positive when deciding if I want to stay there- so I thought I would test out this theory) I quickly received an e mail saying I would hear back. Eleven days passed and with no response- I called the manager. He said that he had no authority to do anything and had passed it along to a higher up manager & asked what I wanted from him. I suggested a complimentary upgrade and once again, there no response. I waited five days & my trip was less than a week away at this point, so I called Starwood. Then I quickly heard back from the hotel that I was given some Star Points but no mention of my request of the complimentary upgrade. He did say another manager had flagged our stay as "VIP" I was disappointed that my request received no response from the hotel but my Mom wanted to stay here- so we reserved and paid for the Club Level room.
My plane was delayed for several hours so my Mom went to the hotel without me, instead of waiting. She was given an early check- in and we both very much appreciated that. We had no other needs, other than a 4:00PM check- out- which we usually get being Starwood members.
We really enjoyed our stay. We had not been there for a year and immediately upon entering the Club Room, Mohammoud remembered us and gave us a big smile and a very warm welcome back. Seeing him at breakfast each morning was a great way to start our day. (Yes- Club Room is crowded so we started eating a little later and that helped)
We really didn't have any other interactions with staff except for the doorman (nice/helpful) and housekeeper who was very nice and did a great job keeping the room clean.
I am happy to report that we had an excellent stay and will probably stay here again next time we visit NYC.

1 Thank DeDe B
Joe G, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Hello DeDeB,

Thank you for submitting this review. Your kind words regarding our Front Desk Staff accommodating your mother with an early check in is greatly appreciated and also that you enjoyed memorable interactions with our associates. It is so wonderful to hear that Mohammad was able to make your stay with us more enjoyable! Our staff truly cares for our guests and we love to see that shine through.

We at the Sheraton New York Times Square are so happy to hear you will be back for another stay in the future!

Joseph Giordano

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,646)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Pleasant, comfortable place to stay. The staff is friendly and helpful, but not intrusive. The location, near Times Square and the theater district is great. Within walking distance of midtown and near subways

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear NYLefty,

Thanks so much for your kind review. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed our location and its proximity to all that New York has to offer and that you had wonderful interactions with our team. We look forward to your next visit!

Bettendorf, IA
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Arrived at noon with family for a 5-day, 4-nite stay. Checked in at the Gold/Platinum desk - Ahmed was delightful, went out of his way to find us two rooms close to each other that were ready and after a short wait, succeeded. Rooms were pretty much standard Sheraton issue, but were adequate in size, well maintained and clean. When this hotel is full, the number of elevators is just barely adequate, no better. There can be occasional significant waits. As Platinum member, had access to the Club lounge on 44th Floor - I was seriously disappointed in the product. The breakfast offerings were satisfactory, and no better. My daughter who is gluten-free had a real problem with the offerings - we asked if some Rice Krispies could be obtained, the answer was no. The gluten-free bread which was brought up was just barely edible. The worst issue with the Club was the massive overcrowding - this hotel is extending Club privileges to at least double the number of people who will fit comfortably into the space. They need to open an identical lounge on another floor. The situation is made worse by a number of guests who seemingly have no social sense whatever. At the height of pandemonium on Saturday morning, with the room filled to overflowing, there was a group of three women with 5 grade-school girls among them, who were lounging and talking as though they had nothing whatever to do the rest of the day - they apparently thought it was unnecessary to be considerate to their fellow guests, several of whom were wandering around looking for a place to sit. Their stupidity and rudeness are not the Sheraton's fault, but they could help by putting some small signs on the tables suggesting people vacate tables as soon as possible when they are at a premium.
When one is in the USA, the afternoon snacks in Club are usually a disappointment and this hotel was no exception - in Europe and Asia the offerings are quite substantial, often enough to make dinner if one is not ravenous. Nevertheless, there was a horde of people waiting to pounce on the rather meager offering of cheese, crackers, and fruit when it was put out. I was in the lounge using the computer and was worried I might be trampled in the mad rush. Really didn't see what the fuss was about. It's nice that this hotel gives free WiFi to elites, but it's nothing to write home about - incredibly slow at times, it's almost never truly fast. I would have been angry and upset had I had to pay for it - it's not worth any significant amount of money. The speed on the computers in the lobby and in the Club lounge is fine, however. What this hotel has going for it is an almost unbelievably good location. It's a short walk to the Broadway theaters, a short walk to the heart of Fifth Avenue shopping, and it's no more than a couple of blocks to a number of subway stations which will take you all over the city. We bought one-week passes for $31 each and within 3 days had recovered our investment as compared to buying tickets for each trip. Don't waste money on a taxi unless you are going very late at night or to the airport. The system is easy to learn, although it is noisy and dirty compared to the Paris Metro and the London Underground.

2 Thank BettendorfTraveler
Hello Bettendorftraveler,

Thank you for sharing the very helpful and quick service you experienced during your check in there is nothing we love to hear more than our guests loving their experience with us! Our location is second to none! We are just close enough to Times Square and many NYC attractions but a few blocks from the hustle and bustle to give our guests some relaxation.

I do want to apologize for the difficulties you had with the poor service of our Staff during the busy time in our Club Lounge. Our Director of Food and Beverage takes this feedback very seriously and has been notified. We are always trying to improve our service and I want to thank you for your valuable feedback as it helps us know what service specifically needs to be improved. On behalf of our team we hope you will return and give us another chance.

Brighton, Colorado
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed here a couple of weeks ago, I was the first of my family that checked in. The front desk offered to check the rest of my family in at that time so we could have rooms close together, then as the rest of them arrived all they had to do was pick up their key card. This was nice of the front desk to suggest I would not have thought of that. My only complaint of the weekend was that they replaced the boiler Saturday night and we had no hot water to shower Sunday morning. I understand maintenance has to be done and they did warn us Saturday night. I think all of the guests should have been comped something for our trouble. Nothing was offered though. This is a good hotel nice beds and it was clean. I love the central location, with easy access to the subway. If the hotel would have offered something for the loss of hot water I would have rated them higher. I would stay there again I will just ask ahead of time if any maintenance is scheduled during our stay.

1 Thank tralverGregg365
Hello TralverGregg365,

Thank you for sharing the very helpful service you experienced during your check in there is nothing we love to hear more than our guests loving their experience with us! I am happy you enjoyed the comfort of our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper and our newly renovated rooms. We are happy to provide our guests a space where they can relax and renew.

I do want to apologize for the difficulties you had with the hot water disturbance during your stay. Our Director of the Front Office takes this feedback very seriously and has been notified. We are always trying to improve our service and I want to thank you for your valuable feedback as it helps us know what service specifically needs to be improved. On behalf of our team we hope you will return and give us another chance.

Philadelphia
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I enjoyed my stay at this Sheraton. I like the location that's not too close from Times Square, about 10 blocks away, meaning less crowded ( I like it ) and subway station just around the corner. By the way, the Club Lounge is way to crowded for breakfast and afternoon reception, but we heard that from other reviewers before. I just want to confirm it again! Very hard to receive a room upgrade for Gold and Platinum members in this property based on reviews on their website!

Green Features: Wish they will participate in Green Choice Program in the future.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TwinnPhilly
Hello Twinnphilly,

Thank you for your review. Our location is second to none we are just close enough to Times Square and many NYC attractions but a few blocks from the hustle and bustle to give our guests some relaxation. Here we take guest feedback very seriously and we apologize for any inconveniences caused by the busy time in our Club Lounge our Director of Food and Beverage has been notified. We would love another chance to show you a great experience. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Large property near Times Square( but not AT Times square, which is good). I found the room to be small and not very clean with a couple of hairs in the bathroom when we arrived (and a bit of a foul smell on the bathroom thta remained over the period of our stay). There were large openings around and especially under the door. Although there seems to have been renovations they feel superficial, and the hotel seems tired. Nights were noisy (doors slamming woke me up at around midnight, 1AM, 2AM...). I could also hear the humming of the refrigeration towers that could not be blocked by earplugs. I do not plan to return. Overall average experience.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Luis S
Hello Luis S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed our location and its proximity to all that New York has to offer but a few blocks from the hustle and bustle to provide our guests a space where they can relax and renew

I do want to apologize for the difficulties you had with the service and condition of your room, also your experience regarding the hallway noise on your floor. Our Directors of Housekeeping and Security have been notified. We are always trying to improve our service and I want to thank you for your valuable feedback as it helps us know what service specifically needs to be improved.

On behalf of our team we apologize for your unpleasant experience while staying at the Sheraton New York Times Square and would love another chance to show you the experience you deserve.

Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed in this hotel whilst attending a conference in NY. Room was small but modern and clean. Bath was a waste of time, only suitable for a child. Would have been better having a decent shower installed. Good in room wifi although chargeable. Nice coffee maker. Very expensive breakfast buffet - don't bother - go across any road and find better, cheaper fare. Staff very variable, some very helpful, others very rude. Not a place I would choose again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank OldLanghoTraveller
Hello OldLanghotraveller,

Thank you for offering us your review and guidance about your recent visit with us. I do want to apologize for the difficulties you had with the poor service of our Staff to your concerns during your stay. Our Director of Rooms takes this feedback very seriously and has been notified.

We apologize for any inconveniences that the Restaurants prices may have caused you during your stay at our Property. Here we take guest feedback very seriously and will take into consideration all of your thoughts.