Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel
Ranked #286 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We checked in with Joy, she was very nice and accommodating. Our room wasnt ready so Joy gave us a business card and told us to call the number so we can find out if or room was ready instead of having to stand in line. .. we called and they had us on hold for more than 30 mins so we went to the lobby and stood on the long line and still made it to the counter before they picked up the call. The only bad part was there was a dance group there and Brazilian group which made walking thru the lobby and getting on the elevator almost impossible. Otherwise our room was nice.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Joe G, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Hello Leticia,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. Your kind words regarding the service of our Staff are greatly appreciated. It is so wonderful to hear that Joy was able to make your stay with us more enjoyable! Our staff truly cares for our guests and we love to see that shine through.

I do want to apologize for the difficulties you had with the poor service response of our Front Desk Staff regarding the delayed check in and busy time in our Lobby, also the frustration of the busy elevators and Guest noise on your floor. Our Directors of the Front Office and Security has been notified. We are always trying to improve our service and I want to thank you for your valuable feedback as it helps us know what service specifically needs to be improved. We look forward to your next visit!

Warm regards,

Joseph Giordano

Write a ReviewReviews (8,484)

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I love Sheraton hotels and I expect a certain standard when I stay at one of them. I know New York is hectic; I go there all the time. Somehow this hotel has become THE place to stay for hundreds (if not thousands) of teenage and pre-teen kids in the summer. HUGE uncontrolled groups sit everywhere in the lobby. You can't move. The lines to check in are insane. The elevators are jam-packed and overly-busy. The noise is beyond belief in the hallways. The staff were excellent but they cannot control thousands of kids running, screaming and slamming doors in the corridor until 2 or 3am. Don't think this was a one-night anomaly either. I was unfortunately booked in for 5 nights and I did not sleep my entire trip. The doors SLAM twenty times an hour. Please, Sheraton, the very least you could do is install soft-closing door hinges OR how about using some of you security just to do simple hall checks during the small hours. The might have been able to escort the two hookers I had to deal with talking in the hallway at 1am from the property! Your security sits in front of the elevator bank but I never once saw they ask anyone for a room key check. Not there fault: there are hundreds of people just milling about doing. Shertaon, this is not good enough. We paid a significant amount for our stay and it was appalling. I'd advise any potential guest to flee this hotel if you have any intention of being able to function during your trip or enjoy your stay. STAY ELSEWHERE.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Kerry J

Hello Kerry J,

I apologize for all the challenges you had while visiting us recently but thank you for giving us this review so we may have the opportunity to address all of your concerns.

In regards to addressing your concerns I would like to arrange a time to speak with you directly to discuss all of your concerns and offer you some options that will help resolve the matter. Please contact me directly at (joseph.giordano@Sheraton.com).

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed here in June 2014 for four nights on a business trip. This is a very large hotel and the service was pretty in-personal. Costs were astronomical too ($30 for a pretty poor buffet breakfast - we ended up going across the road to an independent deli each day). Room was small and bathroom even smaller. I've stayed in New York a number of times, so I know rooms are smaller than normal, but this was much smaller than other hotels I've stayed in. Was also very busy with school parties (due to the holiday season). I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Adrian C

Hello Lazyade,

Thank you for offering us your review and guidance about your recent visit with us. I do want to apologize for the difficulties you had with the poor service response that you experienced during your stay. Our Director of Rooms has been notified. We are always trying to improve our service and I want to thank you for your valuable feedback as it helps us know what service specifically needs to be improved.

We apologize for any inconveniences that our price rates may have caused you during your stay. Here we take guest feedback very seriously and will take into consideration all of your thoughts. We look forward to your next visit!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 7 July 2014

The Sheraton Times Square has a great location with walking distance to Times Square, Central Park and a wide number of other attractions. We recently traveled there (June 2014) and I would suggest the only issue we really has was the size of the rooms was so small that moving suitcases in was difficult due to the closeness of the foot of the bed to the cabinet on the opposite wall. Due to this the room felt small and when we discussed an upgrade with the registration desk, we were advised that all the rooms were essentially the same size.

We also had club room access which was pretty basic, but acceptable.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the Times Square side of the hotel. The Central Park view is really tree tops...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Chris H,

On behalf of our team we apologize for the room experience during your stay. Our Front Office Staff is happy to assist in accommodating our Guests with room upgrades according to availability. We apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused you and would love another chance to show you a great experience.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

The hotel's location is about the only upside to it. Granted, its location is ridiculously close to the Times Square life of NYC. Lots of cafes, restaurants, transportation, and events within walking distance it is definitely a great location. However there are downsides and ones that made me realize that the incredible selection of alternative lodging available will definitely be considered...(I even suggest the Hilton across the street as a better place.) #1. The service was bare minimum. I saw hotel staff tree times: at the check-in, "guarding" the *excruciating* elevator line, and once when they fixed our sink which was leaking like a...well...a leaky sink. (Giant puddle in the bathroom.) #2. The aforementioned elevators. Dear God. Never go when the hotel is hosting events. Getting to a from your room using the elevators is at minimum a 20-minute wait at times. Just don't do it. #3. Prices. You are literally paying for the location. Everything is expensive. The in-house cafe, bar, (of course room service prices are sky-high), any extras, etc. #4. The room. The four of us on this trip shared a basic room with what were supposed to be two queen sized beds. We measured, they were hotel queens meaning they were literally a little smaller than a full. We slept like we were in coffins. Not very exciting. The room included a TV and complimentary coffee-tea, wifi for $15, snacks for an ungodly amount. The room and bathroom were tiny. Definitely for sleeping only and not for a party larger than two. Overall, for the price, get something farther away. You're going to be walking/traveling a lot anyway.

Room Tip: Get one of the higher floors during events because they have their own elevators.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank riahishere

Hello Riahsihere,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I think our location is the best for sightseeing located near Times Square, Central Park and Rockefeller Center and access to great shopping. It provides such easy accessibility you are able to see the entire city in short travel time it’s a quick subway ride to everywhere.

I do want to apologize for the difficulties you had with the mal function of the sink during your stay also the frustration of the delayed elevators during the busy time in our Lobby. Our Directors of the Front Office and Engineering has been notified. We are always trying to improve our service and I want to thank you for your valuable feedback as it helps us know what service specifically needs to be improved.

On behalf of our team we apologize for your unpleasant experience while staying at the Sheraton New York Times Square and would love another chance to show you the experience you deserve.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed at the Sheraton Times Square for 4 nights in July 2014. We got a great rate through Priceline (dot) com -- my first time using the service. The location of the hotel was excellent for convenient access to the subways and Central Park -- the Times Square location meant that the surroundings was very touristy, from stores, restaurants, and other pedestrians. I would have preferred a downtown base, however, the rate was excellent. Fitness Center charged US$10 per visit -- which was a turnoff, and I never used it -- only the first walk-through viewing. There is a fake Starbucks in the lobby -- not a real store that accepts the store cards or has a coffee grinding machine -- the coffee definitely does not taste the same, but no fret as there are Starbucks stores within a 1 block radius in any direction of this Sheraton. Baggage storage charged US$4 per article per day for left luggage -- I've never seen this before, anywhere. Hotel mini-bar has a motion sensor which resulted in us being charged for drinks that were never consumed -- this was quickly cleared up with reception at check-out, but we were warned for next time. Rooms were good, a little small. I'd come back to this Sheraton if I could secure the same rate. Emirates air crew stays at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank bentobox007

Hello Bentobox007,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience with us. I think our location is the best for sightseeing located near Times Square, Central Park and Theaters also access to great shopping. It provides such easy accessibility you are able to see the entire city in short travel time it’s a quick subway ride to everywhere.

We apologize for any inconveniences that the Fitness Center, Coat Check prices may have caused you during your stay at our Property. Here we take guest feedback very seriously and will take into consideration all of your thoughts. We look forward to your next visit!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Gutes Hotel in NYC, man kann wenig negatives sagen. Insgesamt, Zimmer gut, mit kleinen Abstrichen beim Bad. Nähe Times Square und Central Park.

Good Hotel in NYC. Nicely situated close to Times Square and not far from Central Park. Our room was alright, however, the bathroom was not up to the standard we expected.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank MFischer2014

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience with us. Guest satisfaction is our number one goal and there is nothing better than achieving that! I think our location is the best for sightseeing located near Times Square, Central Park and Theaters also access to great shopping. It provides such easy accessibility you are able to see the entire city in short travel time it’s a quick subway ride to everywhere. We look forward to your next visit!

Warm regards,