“Wonderful New York Experience”

The Sherry-Netherland Hotel
Ranked #8 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Concord, North Carolina
“Wonderful New York Experience”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We recently spent 4 nights celebrating our daughters 13th birthday. Everyone treated her like a princess! We had a beautiful suite. This is classic elegance in New York - it is not for the modern dwelling lover. Our bathroom was all marble (with AWESOME water pressure). We had a very comfortable king bedroom, and our daughter enjoyed a classic living room which even had a mini kitchen! Everyone from the doorman to the front desk to the elevator attendants remembered us and would give us advice on where to eat or shop or go. When I stay at "nice" hotels, I expect service. This is what we received at the Sherry-Netherland. They were even in the process of renovating their lobby which made the "view" of the hotel not nearly as nice, and yet we still had one of our best New York experiences. Finally, the location at the corner of Central Park right in the middle of shopping areas with good access to everything is an added bonus. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank PKARRA-Vacationers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
California
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We booked our stay at this hotel three months out. At that time, we were able to book a suite along with a connecting room. However, we were told we would need to depart the suite on our last night, but that we would be put in really fabulous connecting rooms. In fact, the booking agent was very candid with me and informed me the rooms can vary from fabulous to good, but assured me we would be put in a fabulous room. The original suite was excellent, but the rooms we were transferred to (1116 and 1115) are dumpy rooms. Very outdated furniture and window treatments as well as stained and worn rugs. This is the worst hotel room I have ever experienced. I will not return to the Sherry as a result and plan on returning to The Lowell again next Christmas season. It really is a shame, because the first two rooms we had at The Sherry were fabulous, but I don't want to risk getting an awful room again.

Room Tip: 714 & 715 are great rooms 1115 & 1116 are terrible rooms.
24 Thank skilaufen
Kkinet1, Rooms Division Manager at The Sherry-Netherland Hotel, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
We are so sorry you were disappointed in the rooms we moved you to. All of our rooms are individually owned, and are individually decorated to the owners taste. As I understand it, we did move you to another pair of connecting rooms that you did like, and so we thought we had resolved the matter to your satisfaction. We pride ourselves on our levels of service and cleanliness, and we are embarrassed that we not only did not exceed your expectations, but we did not meet them. Based on your comments, we will review the rooms in question, and see about possibly upgrading them. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 23 December 2013

All at The Sherry-Netherland are most welcoming, kind and helpful. The property is elegant with old world charm and modern conveniences. The location is terrific too. Thank you to all at The Sherry for another wonderful stay!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank TAA1000
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Thrilled with my stay here. The hotel oozes elegance from every pore, I am a bit of a history buff so I love an old hotel in immaculate condition, which is just what this place is. I will be back in NY on business again soon and will come back and stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank judeedee1
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The S-N has some of the best service we have EVER experienced! The location is unmatched with Central Park right across the street. Our 9 year old just loved the men in each of the elevators...old world service in a new world setting.

2 Thank Rip M
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My husband and I brought our son to New York to celebrate his 10th birthday. This hotel was recommended by our travel agent. The deal was solidified after I read the wonderful reviews on Trip Advisor. I don't think we could have chosen a better hotel for our stay. We were checked in by a darling concierge who then handed my son a little gift bag. Two other employees overheard that we were celebrating my son's 10th and they went out and brought back two cupcakes with a card and a candle. The staff was warm and outgoing, while always maintaining such professionalism. The front desk, the elevator attendants, the maids, the door men, room service......everyone delivered top-notch service. This is a very small boutique hotel/ co-op which I was a little unsure of at first. I'm used to big hotels...big names. The Sherry is perfect because the last thing you want to deal with when stepping off the cold, crowded streets of New York is more people. We were always able to step into the lobby and then quickly be ushered up to our room by the attendant waiting to escort us up the elevator. We never had to wait for an elevator. We never had people wandering around the lobby of our hotel. It was always quiet, warm, and inviting. That's something these bigger hotels cannot offer. There are always people rushing in and out. My favorite part of the day was cuddling up in our big soft bed with some hot chocolate or latte and watching a Christmas movie on our huge television. The biggest television of any hotel room I've ever stayed. We had a courtyard room (which is nothing more than looking down at an ugly roof), but it was so quiet. This building is just so quiet......loved it! I thought the decoration and furnishings were lovely. Very fitting to this elegant building. My only recommendation to management is that they remove and replace the grout and caulking in the shower of room 715. It was quite bad. And quite possibly it was just my room. Everything else was just so stunning. I think the elevators were the most exquisite. I hope they never do away with the attendants. Elevators that stunning should always have sweet men with white gloves escorting guests up. There is nothing classier! On a side note......they are renovating the ceiling in the lobbly right now to restore the original art work. But of course, they have put up drapery and have done a beautiful job with Christmas decorations, not to detract from the feeling of luxury. I only wish I could have seen the finished product. Well.......maybe when my youngest turns 10!

2 Thank kris200
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 December 2013

When you step into the Sherry-Netherland, history follows you. This is like no other hotel I have ever stayed at either in New York or in Europe and you get this impression the moment the doorman greets you. The lobby probably looks the same as it did all those years ago when 1940's movie stars would call this elegant 5th Ave palace home. Where else do you get whisked up to your suite by white glove attendants who seem to know your floor before you say it. The rooms are large, the largest I have ever stayed in while in NYC with high ceilings, clean marble washrooms, hardwood floors, big windows some with that magical Central Park view. The location is probably the most sought after address in New York City as most of this extraordinary 1920' s landmark building is condos and apartments some on the market for $100,000,000. And here lies this legendary hotel's only drawback. Unlike other condo/hotels that have separate entrances you have to share the lobby and elevators with the residents. Some don't take kindly to having to share their private enclave however once you get past this you can relax and enjoy a hotel experience like no other. After a few
stays at the Sherry-Netherland you can start to call it home too.
Bruce B. Toronto