“Simply The Best!”

The Sherry-Netherland Hotel
Ranked #8 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We have just returned from an eleven night stay at The Sherry-Netherland. What a fantastic experience. The interior of this hotel, especially the lobby is stunning. From the moment we arrived the staff could not have been more helpful or friendly. They are incredible. Our actual suite was out of this world. It consisted of a beautifully furnished sitting room that was huge, a very large separate bedroom with the most comfortable bed ever, a kitchen with a coffee pod machine(very handy) and a lovely period featured bathroom. There was plenty of hanging storage space which is not normally the case. The refrigerator was kept stocked with complimentary water and soft drinks. The bathroom had lots of first class toiletries and many extras.
The concierge Russell was so helpful, as was Renee. Nothing was too much trouble. Staff go the extra mile.
All the staff are an asset.
Definitely our best holiday ever!

Room Tip: City or park views are a little more expensive but worth it.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Dave1066

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I just spent a weekend in Manhattan and after staying at many of the well known 5 star hotels over the past 4 decades,I was ready for a change.
I was attending a wedding at the Plaza and as my last stay there was non impressive, I decided to try The Sherry - Netherland directly across the street on Central Park.
I read reviews of the SN on trip advisor and most were favorable.
I checked in feeling a bit under the weather on a rainy friday afternoon and the process was warm and welcoming and our stay at this gem of a hotel kept getting better and better.
The staff warmly greeted us by name and escorted us to our charming and elegant room where we were welcomed with fresh flowers,chocolates and a lovely handwritten note .Our room was laden with complimentary mineral and still waters,sodas ,coffees,teas,(various types)and just about any type of toiletry that one could possible need.
Our room was very spacious ,comfortable and reminded me of a time gone by with old time elegance ,charm and extraordinary comfort.
We proceeded to the downstairs bar at Harry's Cipriani,had great cocktails and returned to our room before heading out on the town.
The housekeeping staff here was the best that I ever encountered and our housekeeper,Jade was a treasure .When she noticed that I suffered from allergies she brought me bottles of mineral water and various coffee and teas for the excellent brewing system in the room.
We felt as if we were in our own quiet apartment above the busy city as contrasted to the larger more impersonal feel of many of the larger chains.
As a matter of fact when I returned to the Plaza for wedding events over the course of the weekend,I was delighted that I decided to stay at the Sherry- Netherland Hotel.
The often impersonal and rude service I received by various servers and attendants at the Plaza made this customer certain that I would never return there.
I plan to return often to the S-N,my new hotel of choice in Manhattan and understand why it continues to get such high reviews and accolades on Trip Advisor and other rating services.
Hats off to the staff for a job well done.
Hope to see you soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank jmreiff
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Spent two days at the Sherry Netherland,to celebrate a special birthday. When we arrived I was a little surprised at how quiet the lobby was,seemed like we were the only people there. We up graded for a small fee to a suite.Omg,Omg the room was old world elegant,it was the size of an apartment.Bathroom had enough towels to last a week.Service was excellent,everybody knew you by name.It was very relaxing,if you are looking for action this is define truly not the place. This hotel far exceeded my expect ions. They even sent flowers and chocolate almonds to the room!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank buddyPhila
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This was our third stay in the last six months. The first was due to the hotel's Tripadvisor rating, the next two were due to the wonderful experience we had in the previous stay(s). The building is a classic Fifth Avenue co-op building with a hotel interwoven within. I think there are only about fifty units which are rented as hotel suites. The rest are occupied by the residents. These residents are in effect the employers of the staff so the service is amazingly personal and attentive. We loved having breakfast in the on-site restaurant, one of the Cipriani chain of restaurants which offers a discount to hotel guests. I will mention parenthetically that the hotel also has a discount arrangement with the Botega del Vino restaurant next door. We had several great lunches there. They have a carryout counter, a casual eating area (no table clothes) as well as nice dining room (white table cloths).
The location of the hotel at the corner of Fifth and 59th is very convenient, particularly to mid-town and the east side and is a short cab/healthy walk from Times Square and the theater district. I characterize it that way because cabs are hard to come by when all the theaters let out at the same time so we usually walk back to the Sherry. Yes that's how we regulars refer to the hotel:-). The hotel is on the northeast corner, and counter clock-wise you have the huge Apple store, FAO Schwartz, Bergdorf Goodman (men) Bergdorf Goodman (ladies), the small park in front of the Plaza Hotel, and finally the large park known as Central Park on the northwest corner.
And, if you really fall in love with the place they have a number of units being offered for sale at any given time!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David C
Reviewed 6 May 2014

With a world full of travel options, so many destinations and oddles of hotels to choose from, it all gets down to service for me. There's a lot to be said for the saying; "a bed is a bed is a bed." At the end of the day a welcome smile, a helpful hint or two, a warm goodnight greeting, that's what it's all about. The Sherry Netherland is now considered old fashioned in it's delivery. In the fast paced, arrogant hotel industry the Sherry is more a gem, I would stay no other place in NYC from now on. And their Concierge is at the top of their game.

Their only downfall is the very ordinary breakfast at next doors Cipriani Restaurant. Needs a friendlier approach from the Cip staff.

Room Tip: If it ain't broken, don't fix it. Near perfect score.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cole G
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

I'm really in love with some hotels having luxury and royal design. I saw pictures of The Sherry-Netherland Hotel before I went to NYC. The hotel was my favourite type, and yes!!!! It definitely was until I saw the bathroom. Everything was luxury, royal - like, fabulous and historic like a castle or Buckingham Palace, especially lobby lounge and reception area. The room was more modern and fashioned. So the bathroom was. I felt a little disappointed. Luckily, my room had great city and park view. I could enjoy the beautifully natural view while sipping a cup a tea. It made me more comfortable, I supposed.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank ggodoa
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This was our 10 year old son's first stay in NYC and so we wanted to make it special. The Sherry-Netherland was given excellent reviews on TripAdvisor so we decided to stay here and were delighted by our choice.

The hotel is in a wonderful art deco tower in a splendid location at the south east corner of central park. There are many wonderful ceiling murals in the hotel lobby and lifts (elevators) and there is a feeling that this is a far more personal affair than many larger hotels.

The staff (doormen, concierge/reception staff and the lift operators) were all very welcoming, cheerful and helpful. It is perhaps unfair to single any individual out because they were all so good but I can not help but give a special mention to Jacqueline (the Front Office Manager), Russell the Concierge and William the doorman all of whom did their bit to make our stay just that bit more special.

A quick note regarding the concierge staff. They were able to provide passes to some attractions which were very useful in jumping to the front of the queue (line). Of particular mention were the passes for the Empire State Building and the Intrepid Aircraft Carrier where the time saving was considerable.

We had a lovely suite on the 7th floor with our son sleeping on a sofa bed in the sitting room. Our bed was extremely comfortable and the marble-clad bathroom had both a bath and a walk-in shower. It was very quiet. The suite also had a kitchenette which we did not use but might appeal to some.

An outstanding place to stay and one that I will certainly return to, if possible, when I next visit NYC.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family