“One of The Best Hotel Experiences of My Life”

The Sherry-Netherland Hotel
Ranked #7 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Rolling Hills, California
“One of The Best Hotel Experiences of My Life”
Reviewed 13 February 2011

If I were to run a hotel, I'd do it the way it's done by the staff of The Sherry-Netherland. I'd been told by a friend of the superior staff, rooms, service, historical ambiance, still I knew there was no such place left in the U.S. Boy, was I wrong.

The building is comprised mainly of apartments, lending it an air of quiet elegance, not at all dreary like some historic hotels. It faces the SE corner of Central Park, convenient for shopping and hopping on local transportation. The rooms are cheerful and immaculate, tastefully appointed with modern conveniences. As a side note, the park was too icy to run in during my stay; I discovered the Sherry has one of the best fitness rooms I've ever visited at a hotel!

Prices are steep, but what isn't in the city? I can't wait to be able to come back to The Sherry!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank mer90274

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sudbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 February 2011

My daughter and I spent last weekend at The Sherry-Netherland, and were immediately impressed with the warm welcome at the front desk and the handwritten welcome note in our room. The staff made us feel at home, from the elevator operators who knew our floor, to the doormen who always greeted us so graciously. Our suite was lovely, appointed with beautiful furnishings in soft colors, and the bedding was so comfortable, it was like sleeping on a cloud! The location of the hotel could not be better, right on Fifth Ave at
59th St, overlooking the main entrance to Central Park. The highly acclaimed restaurant, Harry Cipriani, is there to be enjoyed by hotel guests as well as New Yorkers in the know.
We think The Sherry-Netherland is a true gem, and give it the highest marks for luxury,
service and location in New York City!!!!

• Stayed January 2011
2 Thank abby90
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 November 2010

Great stay. The location, right next to the Apple Store — not far from the bustling stores that line 5th Ave, but not in the noise and commotion either. The hotel has a beautiful view of the trees and water bodies of Central Park.
Service was really personalized. It's a small hotel: a small but dedicated staff. The housingkeeping lady would talk to us every day if we were in. The guys at the reception would greet us every time we walked in.
The hotel lobby is small (really tiny), but tastefully decorated. This is not the kind of hotel that looks like The Plaza the moment you walk in, but it has its own charm — sometimes charm is in simplicity.
My only complaint is the breakfast: a tad bit too expensive. But with amazing breakfast places nearby, we had no reason to complain! (we tried out different breakfast places daily — it's a great way to dine at places you wouldn't normally visit).
The Sherry will remain our first choice in Manhattan — above the Waldorf, Plaza, Palace and Pierre.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Str_Bell
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 26 October 2010

The location of this hotel is simply amazing. 12 steps from central Parks, two blocks from all luxury shops, next door to huge Apple store and that huge toy shop. It is not far from Madison Avenue for business, yet you can do quick shopping for family at home.
The room itself is quite sufficient in terms of space and comfort (For NYC standard) The breakfast was great, in fact I am confident in saying that their Bagel salmon creme cheese combo is one of the best in Manhattan area ( fist fight almost broke out in the office when I said this :-)) The lobby is not big, but I prefer property that pays more attention to size of rooms than size of lobby anyway. The room that we got did not have a very good view, but it did not bother me at all, since the whole experience was quite positive. We have stayed twice here, and we will certainly come back.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank suami_intan
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 October 2010

My husband and I spent 3 and 1/2 marvelous days at the Sherry Netherland at 59th St and 5th Avenue. We were very sorry when the time came to leave this wonderful hotel. It is small with beautiful rooms, It isl, well located across from Central Park with a delightful, helpful staff. The room had fresh flowers and delicious complimentary Godiva chocolate waiting for us when we arrived. We received a 20% at the Harry Cipriani lovely restaurant on the ground floor of the hotel and a 15% discount at a charming Italian restaurant around the corner on 59th St. We love the neighborhood.. This hotel is a gem . We look forward to returning and recommend the hotel highly.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Helenaclone
PA
Reviewed 23 September 2010

I had the very good fortune to secure a room at the Sherry Netherland; the rate was comparable to other NYC hotel rates as pre-approved by my firm's travel guidelines. I was there for one night and didn't anticipate anything but a usual hotel stay. To my surprise, I was taken with the beauty of my room and found myself enjoying the time I had before I was due at a meeting. The sun was streaming in the window, I had a crystal chandelier and a decor I would love to copy in my own bedroom. I travel a lot for business, I always thought rooms are just rooms .....until my stay at the Sherry; it was a refreshing change to NOT want to leave a hotel room!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank phillyfillyPa
The Villages, Florida
Reviewed 11 September 2010

The Sherry Netherland is truly a special home away from home. It starts the minute you pull up to the Sherry… A very friendly doorman (absolutely no attitude, just a friendly soul!) greets you and escorts you to the front desk. The lobby is small, but so elegant and warm. You instantly know that you are in the land of ‘old money’. If Bernie Madoff was not in jail, you would expect him to walk out of Cipriani’s and take the elevator up to his apartment! This building is only 50 rooms dedicated to hotel guests; the rest of the 30+ floor building is soley dedicated to owners. Currently, there are apartments selling for around $10,000,000!

Our room was large and spacious. We paid to upgrade to a bit larger room with a view of the carriages and statue at the end of Central Park. It is also fun to wake up and walk 20 steps to the CBS Early Show... Unless there's a big name concert going on, don't worry about getting there super early. There were never more than 50-75 people there.

We were greeted by Lori Ann at the front desk. What a kind soul! She asked how our flight was and if she could do anything at all to help us feel more settled. I mentioned to her and to the doorman that my cellular phone had gone missing in the airport limo to the hotel and they were seemingly as upset for me, as I was! When Tammy (also a front desk superstar employee!) came on to shift, she heard about my phone missing and was quick to give me advice. She told me to offer a reward (bribe?!) to the dispatcher/driver and see if that would help my phone suddenly show up (driver had been saying that my phone was not in his town car!). Mysteriously, after I took Tammy’s advice, and offered the ‘reward’, at 12:41 AM, my phone showed up. The bellman was so nice and even though it was late, he called me to let me know it was safe and sound at the front desk and would be delivered to me in the morning.

The Sherry gives you a well stocked bathroom! Shaving Creme, Razor, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, All the Toiletries You Will Need (except for hairspray). There is also bottled water, complimentary, as well as free wi-fi.

The gym is small but good. However, you walk SOOO much in NYC, it is doubtful that you will spend anytime in it.

This hotel is such a shining star! You feel like royalty, but somehow, the Sherry team never displays that stuffy attitude that I have experienced with other high end hotels.

Our room was lovely and we feel blessed to have so much space in a city that almost prides itself on tiny spaces.

Also, when I mentioned to one of the staff that the price of food was a bit mind blowing in NYC, they suggested that we go to Gene’s Coffee Shop, right around the corner! Yay! What a helpful hint! We had GREAT food, and never spent more than $20!! That was for two people! I told one of my friends back home that I felt like I got ‘one over’ on the City! Ha! Make sure that you walk out of the hotel, go right at 60th and walk 1.5 blocks and look for Gene’s! You will LOVE it! Great Food…GREAT prices! Also, remember that Gene’s delivers to the Sherry, for FREE! Almost every morning, my mom and I had a hot egg white veggie omelet with crispy, HOT French fries delivered to our room. The delivery was always here within 20 mins!

If you want a great tour, be sure to take a peek at PhotoTrek tours. This website is linked on the Sherry’s website and it is worth EVERY penny! Marc is the talented prof’l photographer that owns PhotoTrek tours and you will adore this tour! Try to get the 3 hour tour, if possible.

The Sherry is magical! The location is PERFECT! The staff is even more perfect! You will be so sad when you have to check out since you will feel like you’re saying goodbye to family.

Hurry home to the Sherry Netherland! You’ll be glad you did!!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family