“Tough to review”

Ranked #163 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London
“Tough to review”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I spent two weeks at this hotel, and I really wanted to like it. It is eccentric in welcoming and serving our four legged children (dogs that is), and with its own mini dog part I was initially smitten. The check-in was great, the dark brown decor was vaguely bohemian. The room size was fine, although I was allegedly in a 'large room', and it did not seem particularly large. Some of the furnishings are older, although necessarily rundown, tacky or dated...I took it to be part of the style of decor. The room and bathroom did need some minor maintenance. Generally the service was excellent, but you need to be comfortable with a more informal style in order to enjoy it. Well located in SoHo.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I love the Soho Grand. As a former NY I've tried them all - and this is my hands down favorite. Beautiful rooms, great locations and most of all truly excellent staff. I feel like it's my apartment in the city - it's close to everything and btw the front desk staff and the concierge you can go anywhere and get anything you want. The behind the scenes team remembers me, my family, and my dog and makes sure every detail is taken care of for every. single. stay. It's the only place i stay in NYC, and the only place I ever recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

I think what I liked best about The Soho Grand was that the people and systems just dissolve into the background and get out of the way. What I mean is that they do their job well here, but not in a fawning or in-your-face manner - in other words it was perfect for us.

Great location, good wifi, nice bar area, friendly and efficient. The hotel is well located in Soho and it makes for a more pleasant experience than staying in midtown IMO. Easy access to subway and always a taxi handy.

If you want offsite laundry, that's easy to find (a minute away) and there's a good simple-supermarket over the road.

All up a lot to like about this property, I'd certainly book here again without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

I had to be in NYC overnight and Soho Grand's pet-friendly policy meant I didn't have to bother going to a kennel, too. They provide bowls and a doggy bed and have their own dog run. You can also bring your dog into the lounge, where you can order dinner. The bed is extremely comfortable and the staff is wonderful. Climate control worked perfectly.

The hotel is kind of expensive for my budget but it really pays to not get the most basic room, as they are way too cramped for two people and a dog. For 20% more you can get a Corner King which is more than adequate.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

The Grand is an excellent base camp for exploring all of downtown. With easy access to the A, C, E and the 6 a short walk away, you can get anywhere reasonably fast. If you are traveling for work and hate midtown, this is a great alternative. Rooms Are large as is bathroom. Great HVAC. Small fitness room but it has windows and a balcony with a few lounge chairs - a good place to work out. Plenty of little shops for drinks and snacks on Canal.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

We chose the Soho Grand to celebrate our 20th anniversary in NYC. We made the choice based upon input from friends who "know" NY! What a home run! Centered in Soho District with great shopping and access on foot to super restaurants, we found it a great "home base" for our visit.

Our room looked out at the new World Trade center, which was inspiring both during the day and night times. Every aspect of the room was first cabin.

Breakfast in hotel exceeded expectations as did an early dinner before going to a show. The subway entrance is 1 1/2 city blocks and for 2.50 you ride anywhere! VERY EASY and SAFE.

Two thumbs up for this great hotel.

Concierge was over the top in being helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I truly had such an amazing stay, I had to write ( for the first time in all my travels!) a note to the staff:
To SOHO GRAND:
Thank you so much for the wonderful service you provided for me & my daughter, during our recent stay. Our room (s) were perfect in every way, which set the tone for her 21st birthday celebration. Ordinarily when traveling, we spend the majority of our time outside of the hotel, however, we felt so comfortable and pampered, that we thoroughly enjoyed whatever down time we had in our room as well. You, along with the rest of the staff at the Soho Grand, were exceptional in every way and regardless of how many fabulous hotels I've stayed in during my travels, the Soho Grand will now be added to one of my top favorites! I will certainly return to NYC, and will be sure to stay at your hotel. I even had to join your Rewards program!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family