“SOHO's finest!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Soho Grand Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Soho Grand Hotel
Ranked #165 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“SOHO's finest!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Loved the location and bar at this place. The staff were at times a bit inconsistent in service, some were there to be seen and didnt really appear to be helpful, but the bar staff were fantastic. The gym is a good size and wasnt always busy. Otherwise its a great place to stay, nice and central.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Just stayed 4 days last week. Really wanted to love this hotel, the staff was really great. First high end hotel in NY that I have stayed at that didnt have pretentious staff. But the hotel is in desperate need of repair , specially considering how much the rates for our suite was.

When we checked into our room, there was pieces of the roof on our bed and floor and the roof was literally falling down, with water dripping onto the bed. I immediately took photos and went downstairs to show the staff and they sent someone to vacuum the mess up and said someone would fix it the next day but they never did for the entire duration of our stay. I guess this was deemed "normal". To me, they probably should of put us in a new room right away. The room smelled like damp mold the entire duration, and the roof contintued to peel and fall down intermediately.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Luxguide
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I gave this hotel another chance primarily because the client i do business with uses this hotel.
I would never choose to stay here again as it simply doesn't deliver. The rooms are dark and tired and the staff are mainly there to be seen rather than to serve.
The best 3 things about it are the location, the grilled cheese sandwiches and the aqua leather chairs in the lounge.

Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank lovestravel65
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

The location is great, convenient and in the heart of Soho. I have been to this hotel a number of times since it opened. The staff are still friendly and hip but the rooms could really use some work. The lamp beside my bed had an electrical issue and kept flickering on and off. The wall outlets were delicate and I had to brace the outlet plate before I removed my adapters in fear of the whole outlet coming out of the wall. The furniture was scratched and well-worn. After this place gets a refresh I will gladly return, otherwise, I am not coming back.

1 Thank Mono20013
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at SG this weekend. I would say that it is seeing some wear. The level of attention to detail is just not there. Our room was just ok. I hate when people harp on the size of rooms in NYC. Most hotel rooms are small in NYC. It's just the way it is, period. That being said, it was "clean" but not "Hotel clean". Our bathroom was not cleaned, at all, not once. They replaced the bath towels but that was it. The cleaning staff never gave us a bar of soap. Luckily I had one from the weekend before. The toiletries were never refreshed-not even once. The bathmat was taken and never replaced.

The service within the hotel was tolerable at best. The bartenders are awful. We had lunch at the bar when we arrived. We couldn't get him to even come over and check on us for 10 minutes. There are only 8-10 barstools with two other people there. It wasn't a good start. We decided to use the cocktail lounge from then on. In the lounge there was a really good cocktail waitress named Janae.

In the end, there seems to be an overwhelming bored looking/acting hipster staff. I would say that for those that will pay more to enjoy a nice hotel...you may be disappointed. Beautiful property, great location, service...not so much.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank vinmelissa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

The Soho Grand has the potential to be the best hotel in Lower Manhattan, but sadly lack of investment in the rooms means it falls considerably short of that. This is a trendy hotel that takes itself pretty seriously, and the grand lobby area is indeed a cool place to hang out for drinks. The food is also uniformly excellent. The rooms, however, are tiny, dusty, dark & tired. You just can't charge the price the Soho Grand does for accommodation like this. So my counsel to the hotel management is it's time to refurbish the place.

Stayed April 2014
delhi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I can't begin this article without the disclaimer that if they hadn't had a room I may not have stayed in Soho. I could not stay at the hotel I was booked in for personal reasons and therefore had to shop around the neighborhood and fell into the Soho Grand. The front office staff was wonderful and showed me 3 rooms before I chose the one we took. So on a scale of helpfulness they get 10.
The hotel itself is, as they love to say in NY, quintessentially New York and which is why it is not a a Soho boutique hotel.
The Soho Grand is a place that gives you apartments for film stars or elegant but small rooms for the rest with the kind of American functionalities you expect….a great coffee machine and an ice machine on every floor. The downside is paper cups or if you prefer order from room service.
Our room had large and enormously comfortable bed, a small desk, chest of drawers and a cupboard. The problem was the furniture took most of the space so we either sat on the bed or at the desk. They had a strange lounge chair but it was inconveniently placed. Some renovation seems to have begun and it needs a bit of change especially the ac system.
The first floor ( next to reception) has a lovely lounge with a dj, may have to wait to get place around 5pm and a bar.
And for animal lovers it has, I think, the only dog garden!
And finally, it has location. It is Soho and a place from where you can enjoy Soho, which is why we always come to Soho.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple