“Just Right!!!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Port Deposit, Maryland
“Just Right!!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

I had a wonderful four day/three night stay at the Affinia in Manhattan!!! I had business to take care of in Madison Square Gardens/Penn Station so staying right across the street at the Affinia was just the right fit. Not only was it close to where I had to be it is centrally located in the heart of New York City which allowed me to enjoy walking, taking the subway or the train to almost ANYWHERE in NYC that I wanted to!!!! While I was there I had some extra time to do some of the city; it’s wasn’t my first rodeo as far as NYC and I have already done many of the “normal tourist stuff” so this time I was looking for something unique or off the beaten path. I enjoy photography so I’m always looking for new & exciting things to capture on the other side of the lens. Well the concierge didn’t disappoint at all, she had two great recommendations which actually turned into three. She recommended walking to and on the “High Line”, which is an old elevated rail line that the city has turned into a pedestrian walk with tons of nature & art to enjoy. She then said after you’re finished with that take the subway over the Brooklyn and then you can walk the Brooklyn Bridge back over to Manhattan. I did BOTH and LOVED it!!!! After walking the Brooklyn Bridge back into Manhattan I realized that I was close to the newly opened World Trade Center Memorial so I walked a little farther and did that too!!! It wound up being a great afternoon and an adventure that I will remember forever. Thanks Affinia

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Joseph K, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Dear Richard W,

Thank you for such a wonderful review of you experience in New York and at the Affinia Manhattan.

I am very pleased our concierge was able to put you on the right "path" for what turned out to be a memorable day. The High Line and the Brooklyn Bridge walks are both extraordinary, providing a perspective on New York that few experience. The memorial at the World Trade Center site is of course, breath taking and deeply moving.

I am sure there is more in NYC for the adventurous photographer to take in. I hope when you return, you choose the Affinia Manhattan.

Joseph Kelly, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,065)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

I stayed at the Affinia Manhattan last week for a business and personal trip. The hotel was a great fit for this type of trip because the central location made it easy to get to every part of the city - with Union Square, Greenwich Village, Chelsea, etc. an easy walk, and other parts a quick cab ride. Plus when I got back late from meetings on night and from being out late another, fantastic Korean food was right around the corner and open 24/7 - a huge plus after a long day.

The lobby looked newly re-done and was hip but not uncomfortably trendy, and I loved the always accessible sundry next to the front desk with good options for grab and go. There were often people hanging out in the communal seating, and it was especially busy during the daily complimentary wine hour.

My room was spacious, and very comfortable - although it had the standard NYC street noise because I was one one of the lower floors. I could hear cars and sirens, but it wasn't overly distracting. The bed was very comfortable, and the shower had fantastic water pressure (my two biggest wants in any hotel). The room was overall very clean and had a modern and relaxed vibe, with a comfortable seating area separated from the bedroom, it felt like a cool apartment that I would be happy spending a lot of time in. I really liked how they painted the ceiling in a few different muted colors to make it feel visually interesting.

I didn't interact much with the staff, aside from check-in, where they were very courteous.

Overall very pleasant stay, and will visit again next time I am in NYC.

Dear Maxwell H,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your room and the location of the hotel and it's vicinity to many of the local attractions. Thank you for mentioning the Corner Store. We have just recently opened this venue, and have found it to be a great service, especially for those on the go who want to grab something quickly, and rush out into the best city in the world.

We look forward to you return visit.

Sausalito, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

I usually stay at some of the larger brand hotels when in Manhattan but a friend referred me to the Affinia. The location for me had to be the best selling point. When you have meetings all over the city, such a central location is fantastic. The service from the staff was fine - by that I mean I never really saw them, had to chase or call them, and never had to worry about anything. Exactly how I want it! The room was a good size for NYC. I had the chance to have a little down time before dinner and was pleasantly reminded about the free wine hour! This is a nice touch! I will be back again when I stay in Manhattan. Thank you!

Room Tip: You are in NY, the higher the quieter.
Dear Benjamin G,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of you experience at the Affinia Manhattan.

We are happy that you found the location of the hotel to be convenient. That you didn't have to "call or chase after" the staff means we were meeting your expectations, in this case, behind the scenes. Being seamless is our job.

We are also pleased you enjoyed our complimentary wine hour.

We'll see you soon.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

Affinia Manhattan is a convenient place to stay. It is well located and near the Fashion Institute, Chelsea, the High Line, Eataly, the Broadway Theater District and other attractions. The subway is nearby and taxis are plentiful.

The remodeled rooms are clean and outside, street noise is frequently a factor - most mid level and older properties use through-wall heating and air-conditioning units which do little to mitigate the noise of the city. Noise from the corridors or adjoining rooms was not a factor in my stay. As other reviewers noted, Affinia thoughtfully provides ear-plugs. Although street and construction noise was heard, it was the church bells that really startled and rousted this lodger from bed after a night of partying (ouch!).

The bathrooms are a bit small - but again this is an older NYC property - but they are outfitted with modern fixtures and upscale Grohe hardware. A large flat screen TV is mounted on a swivel allowing for viewing anywhere in the room. The bed was decently firm and the linens were modern and clean.

The lobby is modern, stylish and busy. Guests can use one of several work stations available. Elevators are small but there are many which makes transfers to your floor relatively fast. The entry door is one of those motion-sensing, automated revolving affairs which stops when you touch it - irritating both those that know better and confusing those that don't know.

The ground-floor restaurant and bar offer a respectable menu and decent if unpretentious cocktails. The bar staff was attentive. Several cafes and coffee shops are literally across the street from from the front door.

The Front Desk staff was courteous and efficient but check in seemed slow - perhaps a software issue is to blame. Check out was nearly instantaneous by contrast.

I would recommend this hotel to noise-tolerant guests looking for a mid-level place and well-situated place to stay for a day or two.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Joseph K, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear Skronsky,

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.

You noted in your review many of the modern touches we have added during our renovation. We love to receive feedback concerning our new hotel, and are pleased you liked them.

We hope you choose us on your next trip to the Big Apple.

york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

A good clean hotel in a fab location, we were on the 23rd floor and still it was very noisy during the night from outside but i guess thats expected being so central, rooms quite small but newly decorated and very clean, there is air con but we never used it as again it was noisy. The bar/restaurant attached to the hotel was great for cocktails at the end of the night!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear LadyJo79,

Thank you for your review.

We are pleased you liked the newly decorated rooms. Although some of our rooms are petite, we have many different styles and sizes of guestrooms. I am sure we can accommodate you with any size that suites your needs.

We hope to see you again, and thank you for choosing the Affinia Manhattan.

Darwin, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

Recently stayed four nights in the hotel. Arrived on Saturday 12th October. I had arranged with a relative to send me a US sim card, however, when I asked at reception I was told that there was nothing for me. Checked with reception again on the Sunday (after checking with relative how envelope was sent - FedEx), again advised no envelope. Contacted relative again, and obtained all details of envelope (tracking number, date sent etc.) Relative checked FedEx web-site and lo and behold, envelope had been delivered on Friday 11 October. This was very stressful for me, as I had left husband behind in the UK sick and not able to fly, and the phone was my only means of contacting him. Only got three star rating because of the location, and close proximity to Penn Station. The room was huge (obviously a family room), but the bathroom was very tiny - shower didn't work properly, though this was promptly fixed when reported.

Room Tip: Rooms away from 7th Avenue might be quieter but I don't know.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Joseph K, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Dear Hal470709,

Thank you for you review of the Affinia Manhattan on Trip Advisor.

I am disappointed concerning the delay in receiving your package. I am pleased you finally received it. I have sent you a message through Trip Advisor in the effort to provide you some level of satisfaction.

I am glad you enjoyed the location, and we hope to see you again.

Derby
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

The room failed to live up to the impressive pictures on the website. We booked a one bed deluxe suite but were given a two bed with a small kitchenette which did not look like the website. We immediately went to reception to be told there was no other room available, and in any event all the rooms were the same. We found this hard to believe as there was no sofa or coffee table, and the only chair was a desk chair. Whilst appreciating New York is a busy city, the windows were so badly fitting they might as well have been open and so noise was an issue. The bathroom was in need of attention with the seal round the bath and grouting in poor condition. There was no hot water in the early evening for a shower prior to going out. The happy hour glass of wine was an unnecessary extra when free wi-fi would have been a better option $14.95 per day for this was shocking given the price of the room. We feel we were very misled by the light and airy pictures on the website which were not a true representation of the actual room. We would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrea S
Dear Andrea S,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am disappointed your experience was not better. That you had several concerns is unacceptable. I have sent you a message through Trip Advisor in order to better understand your concerns and hopefully provide you with some resolution.

We hope you will provide us another opportunity when you are in New York again.