“Enjoyable long stay”

Stewart Hotel
Ranked #211 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the property for 17 days in October in a one bedroom suite. Found the space in the suite perfect for a long stay accumulating lots of shopping. Also thoroughly enjoyed the happy hour free drinks daily at 17:00 to quench our thirst after frenetic spending and sightseeing. Although the rooms are not spanking new the location of the property makes us for this.
Wish to commend our room maid in particular (room 910 - departed 21st Oct) who did a fabulous job and was very hospitable and accommodating for not so perfect guests.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Joseph K, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear Nick_Sabre,

Thank you for the wonderful review. I am pleased that you found the spaciousness and kitchenette in our one-bedroom suite to be ideal for your stay. We are conveniently located to a number of great NYC shopping areas such as Herald Square and 5th Avenue. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of this. Also, I will be sure to pass along the compliment to our house attendant. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Priced at around $300 per night, my expectations were high. Reality check. Nastiest, dirtiest room I've ever been in. There were pubic hairs and past guests toiletries greeting me upon my arrival. The bathroom was so small as well. The room itself was musty and smelled of mildew. They provide ear plugs b/c the hotel is so loud you would never be able to sleep otherwise. Definitely recommend AGAINST staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank J L
Joseph K, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

Dear J L,

Thank you for writing your review of the Affinia Manhattan.

The experience you had while staying with us is unacceptable. I have sent you a message through Trip Advisor in order to address these concerns.

I hope we can provide you with some resolution.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I stayed 2 nights at the Affinia Manhattan late October 2013 for a business trip. Given a choice, I would stay elsewhere in Manhattan just because I got so little sleep here.

The lobby mixed the classic 1920's architecture with modern décor and furniture. Our check in process was fairly easy -- there were 11 of us traveling together and they had our room cards ready. So we all had our rooms within 15 minutes of getting there.

I got a corner room on the 12th floor with 2 windows in the bedroom and a window in the bathroom. I had a view of Fashion Avenue from one window, and the wall of another building from another window. It had a queen sized bed, a small desk and chair, a large TV, and a good sized bathroom. The desk was enough for me to do some work while there (Wifi will cost $15 for 24 hours of use). The bed was very comfortable, and I liked that the hotel used a duvet and soft sheets. The bathroom was a good size, but only had a shower stall. Shower gel, shampoo, and conditioner were attached to the shower wall and I got a bar of soap for washing hands. There was hair dryer in a drawer underneath the sink. For New York City, the space was good and would have been comfortable for two, but no more (more and it would have been difficult to move around the room).

I made use of the hotel gym on the 4th floor once. It has about half a dozen treadmills and elliptical machines to use. There is also a full set of free weights and I think 4 weight machines, which allowed for chest fly, lat pull, and a few other exercises. It was ok for a gym, but it was a bit of a dreary space.

The problems I had with the room were the following: (1) temperature and (2) noise. It was very difficult to control temperature in the room. There is a window unit for air conditioning, but heating was through 2 radiators. However, even putting the thermostat up to 90 during the day, did not result in the radiators turning on. Second the noise was very difficult for going to sleep. I know it's NYC and I expect some level of noise. The hotel recognizes the noise issue and provides ear plugs, but the noise was a bit too much one of the nights. Night one, I was awakened during the night by sirens and taxi cab/bus horns. These are understandable considering the proximity to Penn Station/Madison Square Garden. However, on night two, there was jackhammering from 9pm - 3am. I know this has to be done in NYC, but the hotel should be aware of city road repair plans and advise guests of what to expect.

The location is great and convenient for places like midtown, Chelsea or Hells Kitchen. Again, I would prefer to stay elsewhere next time I stay in NYC. I have stayed in two other places in NYC and I would prefer those over this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Bryan L,

Thank you for the candid feedback about your recent stay. I am pleased you found our check-in process to be easy and the room size/decor to be adequate. I was disappointed to read that you faced some challenges during your stay with the street noise and the room temperature. As you point out, the hotel was built in the 1920's and has beautiful architecture, but due to the hotel's age it can make heating and cooling of individual rooms difficult. However, I am pleased that you found our location to be convenient and were able to take advantage of our fitness center. I hope you will give us another chance to provide you a better stay.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I just spend 2 nights at a hotel with the most noise I have ever heard from the streets below. There is a central Fire Station next door and you can hear fire trucks being dispatched all night long with sirens screaming. There was a ton of other noise from construction and police cars as well. I think the windows are very old and need to be replaced to sound proof the rooms.BTW I was on the 21st floor so I can not imagine how bad it was on the 3 or 4th floor!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank KRG1152

Dear KRG1152,

Thank you for your review of the Affinia Manhattan.

Although the location is great, there is surrounding NYC activity can be, at times, slightly loud. I have sent you a message through Trip Advisor. Hopefully we can discuss this matter and provide some resolution for you.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Nice big room. Nice staff. Perfect location. The room was clean and made up every day. The bathroom is quite small but functional. Very good bed. A bit noisy but is to be that is to be expected on 7th avenue, 31st street.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank Ms. Ingvill B
Joseph K, Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

Dear Ms. Ingvill B,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Affinia Manhattan on Trip Advisor.

"Nice big room, nice staff and perfect location." What more can we ask for? Thank you for the compliments.

We're glad you loved the hotel, and hope to see you again shortly.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Just stayed at the Affinia and we were really impressed. The Staff were extremely helpful and we benefitted from a free room upgrade on arrival. Location couldn't be better, just opposite Maddison Square Garden / Penn Station and a short walk uptown to Time Square. Noise wasn't an issue as such, but it is New York and the city is always buzzing - get used to sirens and car horns. Bottom line enjoyed the stay and would stay there again!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Joseph K, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2013

Dear Mark L,

Thank you for reviewing the Affinia Manhattan.

We're pleased you had a great stay with us. I am glad we could provide you with a complimentary room upgrade upon arrival.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

We stayed here for five nights, the first night was a Sunday and apart from normal Manhattan noise we managed to sleep. The next night we were kept awake by building noise , a very insistent drill was not allowing any sleep. At 3a.m. We contacted reception who were very sympathetic and we were sent keys to another quieter and much nicer room. We moved and managed to sleep well for the rest of our stay, we knew that some noise was to be expected but this was so bad that we would have moved hotels if we hadnt been given a new room. I was impressed by the staff and their helpfulness. At times there are long queues at reception which can cause problems.
The first room we hadhadanumber of petty faults, a poor seal round the air conditioner, a sliding door off it's tracks and an open electrics box. The second was much better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room atthe back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear UlverstonJanet,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to post a review of the Affinia Manhattan on Trip Advisor.

The noise in and around midtown can at times be disturbing and unpredictable. Thank you for letting us know, and I am pleased we were able to find you a room that provided a better night's sleep.

Our staff is sympathetic to the needs of our guests, and that they handled you concern with care and understanding only adds to the level of confidence I have in our team. Thank you for mentioning them.

We look forward to your return visit.