“Great location” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Perth, Australia
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

This hotel is located in the most perfect location! My boyfriend and I spent 6 nights and were able to walk absolutely everywhere we wanted to go, didn't need to get a cab/subway the entire week. However the hotel itself is rather average. Had great expectations for it but found staff to be unfriendly, and after a long flight this was extremely disappointing. Customer service does go a long way! Having said this, the bed was comfy, the heating worked well and the cleanliness was exceptional.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Tess193,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review and feedback.
While overall it looks like you had a great stay at the Affinia Manhattan, but I am disappointed to learn that you found our team somewhat unfriendly. I most certainly would love to learn some details and would welcome you to contact me directly via Tripadvisor Messenger. As the General Manager, I pride myself on having a team that provides the most exceptional customer service, and absolutely agree with you that customer service goes a long way, that especially being true in our industry. Once again, thank you for staying with us and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Alex Spektor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,028)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

It was great to stay so close to Penn Station! literally walk out of penn on 7th ave and its right across the street. The hotel lobby is big and beautiful, and the rooms are decent size (for nyc) and very clean! the concierge was great and recommended a great restaurant where we ate that night. we had a great weekend here !

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear lara c,

Thanks for your lovely review! I’m thrilled you had such a great weekend getaway at the Affinia Manhattan and found our location to be convenient and just the right proximity to Penn Station. Whenever you decide to return to New York City, we look forward to welcoming you back.

USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

I had a one night layover in NYC, and I wanted to stay someplace close to Penn Station. The hotel is located directly across the street from the station which made things ULTRA convenient for me. I booked a deluxe room, and according to the description, the room was a suite, complete with a sofa bed and other amenities. Upon checking into the room, I noticed that the room was quite large, complete with a separate office space and apparently fairly recently renovated. Despite the size of the room, I found the bathroom to be QUITE tiny. The fact that the room did not have a sofa as advertised, (rather, there was just a nice chair) did not bother me. It was the antiquated climate control that REALLY ruined the experience for me. The floor board radiator made the room 86 degrees! And, when I called the front desk to inquire of a way to fix this, I was told that a serviceman would be sent to my room to fix the problem. The serviceman never came. To make the situation moderately reasonable, I figured out how to operate the air conditioning unit resting in the window. And, while using this option certainly reduced the temperature in the room, the unit was pretty loud!

I did not make a big deal about ANY of these issues, because I was only staying for one night (in fact, just a few hours). However, if my stay were to be longer, I would have requested a change in rooms.

Despite these issues, the hotel has some real charm. I think there was a REAL missed opportunity with my room, as it was sparsely decorated and just felt industrial. Oh well!

...not so sure that I would opt to stay here, again...although the place SEEMS to have some GREAT potential.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Thurman M,

Thank you for taking the time to write us this review.
I’m terribly sorry that we did not exceed your expectations this time. Our goal is to ensure that all of our guests have a wonderful and enjoyable stay. I would like an opportunity to discuss the details of your stay with you personally and invite you to contact me directly via Tripadvisor Messenger whenever time permits. I look forward to hearing from you and optimistically look forward to another chance to show you the true Affinia Manhattan experience.

Wareham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

My girlfriend and I had an absolutely fantastic time in New York over Valentines week, we only wanted somewhere close to all the attractions and this is as close as you'll likely get!! Fantastic location, the staff were friendly and helpful when checking in. We were a bit concerned about the $200 security hold they put on our card as we weren't to know with it being our first trip to America, we were told it would be put back on our card 2-5 business days after we checked out. That was on the 20th February, it's now the 10th March, we still haven't received the $200 back, I've checked my transaction history and found it to still be pending!! It's a bit of a nuisance after a great holiday we had!

• Stayed February 2014
Dear SJenkins23,

Thank you for choosing the Affinia Manhattan over Valentine’s Day weekend! I’m thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff friendly and helpful. The security deposit if usually released after 3-5 business days; for international transactions, it might take a bit longer. If the deposit has not been release as of today, would you please contact me directly via Tripadvisor Messenger and I will personally review your reservation.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Just back from a 3 night stay at the Affinia Manhattan. We only have positive reviews for this hotel. From the complimentary wine evening hour to the great house keeping. We read the reviews here before booking, yes the fire station is a bit annoying but this is New York. The ear plugs are a nice touch. We’re able to check-in online, and received a text message when the room was ready. Thanks Affinia Manhattan, we will definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Booked online at their website, we received the 3rd night free deal.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear dc8_Canada,

Thank you for choosing the Affinia Manhattan and utilizing our express check-in option. It’s a new feature we are now offering our guests and allows for even more customization and a speedy check-in process. We all highly appreciate you sharing your story here on Tripadvisor and we can’t wait to welcome you back soon!

Young, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Wow we were so surprised at our room it was just beautiful it could accommodate the 3 of us and we even had a kitchenette which was just great the location was awesome walking distance to time square and lots of restaurants the staff were great and was not a problem to book live shows for us.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Rowdy-Retire,

Thank you so much for choosing the Affinia Manhattan for all of your birthday fun!!!
I’m thrilled that you enjoyed one of our suites and you are absolutely right – our suites are very spacious and feature fully equipped kitchenettes. For a longer stay, it could not be more perfect to be able to prepare breakfast in your suite before you head out for a busy day of adventures. Whenever you plan on visiting New York City, please be sure to visit our website for the latest offers, deals and super easy booking.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

We had a great stay. We were upgraded from a standard room to a much larger one with a living room, kitchenette, bedroom and two bathrooms! There is free wine in the lobby from 5 pm-6 pm every evening, and the location is really handy, right near Penn Station. On the down side, the hotel charges $15/day for wifi, which is just ridiculous, and which we weren't prepared to pay. We were also woken up at 9 am on a Sunday morning by housekeeping.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear ActiveMotive,

Thank you for your review and feedback.
It looks that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and even enjoyed our daily complimentary Wine Hour. For complimentary WiFi, please be sure to book your reservation on our website. We hope to see you soon.