“Very nice”

Stewart Hotel
Ranked #214 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The Affinia Manhattan really saved our butts. My friends and I were travelling from Toronto and on our ride to NYC we got an email saying our previous (and cheaper) hotel had cancelled our reservations. Booking.com made some calls and the Affinia Manhattan had agreed to accommodate us. They only charged us what we had paid for the first hotel, and covered the rest of the cost themselves, which was nearly a $500 difference. We had a double room with two double beds. It was clean and accommodated four people nicely. The staff was all very friendly, except for the one older woman at the concierge desk who apparently felt the dire need to correct my pronunciation of "Houston." Two complaints, no free wi-fi in rooms and the street noise.For tourists, wi-fi is a must, but for students visiting, its too expensive! $15 for a 24hr period is ridiculous. Its very inconvenient and annoying, especially when you have a rude concierge. And the hotel is right beside a fire station, so sirens go off at all times of the night.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Geetika L
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Geetika L,

Thank you for your review.
It looks like overall you enjoyed your stay and I’m happy to see that we were able to accommodate you in this situation. Next time, please be sure to book your stay with us directly on our website which includes complimentary Wifi. Thank you for staying with us this time.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Charged $50 additional dollars beyond the rate (not a $50 hold until they charged-- additional!) with no notice.
I stayed 6 hours (missed the last train home) the room was fine, though certainly nothing near being worth $380! But to add a fifty dollar 'hold' on my card in addition to that, with no warning, is outrageous.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Elizabeth W,

Thank you for your review.
I do apologize that the incidentals hold might not have been as clear. It is a standard practice for hotels to secure a certain amount for incidentals per night. Depending on the utilization of any incidentals, that hold is typically released upon check out. If this is not the case, kindly contact me directly and I will be happy to review your reservation.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

In the life of even great institutions and businesses you have bad days. We arrived at 4PM, gave our names and reservation numbers and were told that the rooms were not yet ready. Pardon me, it's way past check out time. As we looked out into the lobby there was a multitude of people with their bags draped all over the couches, chairs and floor. The people in line behind us and in front of us were all told that the rooms they reserved were not ready. Listening to the people in the lobby, they too were waiting for their rooms (which were not ready). After talking to the desk clerk, he said the Deluxe-Queen Room we reserved was not ready but they had a "petite" which came up ready. The wife and I are laid back, we were in town for a wedding so we took it. A "satisfactory room" neatly (and architecturally) wrapped around a service elevator shaft - nice, it is what I call an "airline crew room", just there to sleep in. It was, at best, "frayed" around the edges. The bathroom was tiny, the wall paper was curling up a little from the bottom, the bathtub porcelain was peeling, the full bed was comfortable, the room was "damp-warm". The staff was good and very nice to us and they appeared to be a little bit embarrassed. The bell staff at the front door seemed to more dedicated to keeping indigents and the homeless out of the lobby, rather than helping with bags and such and they appeared overwhelmed in any case. We had to wait with a large line of people at the elevators (the elevators were undergoing an overhaul project). When it rains it falls. The shock came at the end of the trip when we were advised that the "petite" sweat box cost us the EXACT SAME RATE as our Deluxe-Queen room would have. The clerk took pity and took off $40.00, (again looking embarrassed) as we said thanks and left (never to return).

Room Tip: Find another hotel. Remember hotels at or around a major transportation hub in NYC, such as the Penn...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank joejanet1991
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear joejanet1991,

Thank you for your review and feedback.
I’m extremely disappointed that we did not exceed your expectations this time. The feedback you provide is useful and am reviewing your comments with our team. While we strive for operational excellence, we did experience a system glitch which affected our room type availability. This unfortunate incident, which occurred in April, has immediately been attended to and resolved allowing for normal operations to resume. I do hope that we’ll be given another opportunity to accommodate you and your wife in the near future. We highly appreciate your business and sincerely thank you for selecting our hotel.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I recently had the opportunity to say at the Affinia Manhattan Hotel white in New York City on personal business. My job causes me to make numerous business trips to New York City every year, and I've spent a lot of nights in a lot of hotels there over the years, but this was my first stay at your hotel in several years. While this was my first stay back at your hotel, I doubt it will be the last. I was very pleased with the room rate, the location, the overall condition of the building, and quality of the staff. I was particularly pleased with the cleanliness of my room, as well as the friendly personality and helpfulness of Housekeeper Janet Yan. As you know, hotel housekeeping can make or break a guest's stay, no matter how good is the room rate or location of the building . It was apparent to me that Mrs. Yan took real pride in her work and had a genuine interest in providing good customer service for hotel guest. Please commend Housekeeper Janet Yan on my Behalf for helping to make my stay in you hotel so pleasant and comfortable, something I will keep in mind when planning future trips to New York City. Sincerely, Dereik

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Dereik E,

Thank you for such a wonderful review! I’m delighted that you found our team to be very friendly and incredibly helpful and our rooms immaculately clean. Whenever your travels bring you back to New York, we look forward to being your home away from home. We look forward to seeing you very soon.
Thank you for choosing Affinia Manhattan.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

First timer in NYC! The location was terrific, staff was friendly, prices were reasonable, complimentary wine hour and the room was contemporary and comfortable. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in The Big Apple! Well done, Affinia... don't change a thing. You guys rock!

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear leahbooboo,

Thank you for your lovely review! It’s a pleasure to hear that you found our hotel comfortable and your stay enjoyable. Whenever your travels bring you back to New York, we look forward to being your home away from home. We look forward to seeing you very soon.
Thank you for choosing Affinia Manhattan.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

This hotel is ideally situated for those visiting N Y for the first time as we were. Penn underground station is opposite, Times Square just a few minutes walk, Empire State 5 mins walk. The hotel staff were friendly and very helpful, particularly the doormen. You can't go wrong and a free glass of wine at 5pm to start the evening went down well.

Room Tip: Probably one away from 31st street and 7th Avenue as NY is on the go 24/7
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KimFifield
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear KimFifield,

Thank you for your lovely review!
You summed it up best – from the exceptional location to the warm and friendly staff that’s eager to help, you simply cannot go wrong with Affinia Manhattan. Thank you for selecting our hotel – we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I'm currently at the Affinia Manhattan - and have been here since Thursday, May 1st.

To be fair, i think that the hotel location is really good, and is close to everything - just in front of the Penn station.

i booked the Petite Room - which might was a mistake, and maybe I'd have a very different experience in a better room (duh), but for $300 a night and for a 3.5-4 stars hotel I thought that it'd be MUCH better than the experience I'm having. I didn't expect the room to be very big, but also not that crowded: as i'm traveling by myself it's OK - but can't see how this room can fit 2 people, and there's a window looking at a brick wall.

But what bothers me most is the noise - the elevator noise is just bad, and keeps you up at night as well as wakes up you before you want to - which is a real basic for me. Mostly because of this it's more of a 2.5 stars experience for me than a 3.5-4 stars, and for the price of $300 per night it's the worse value for money I had recently (and I've been traveling a lot to NYC).

The room is also quite old - and the bathroom wasn't very clean as I arrived - it's also peeling and makes you feel like your in an old hotel room that should be decorated sometime soon, and the bathroom/toilet room looks quite claustrophobic at first glance, and is quite cramped. Again, i might needed to book a better room to get a better experience - but as a standard this is very low.

Room Tip: Do not book the petite room and try to stay away from rooms that are close to the elevators, which i...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Tim O,

I’m sorry to hear that you are not fully pleased with your accommodations. The petite rooms are the smallest room category that we offer and are best suited for single travelers. Our hotel does have guestrooms as well as suites that offer much loftier and very comfortable accommodations. Although rates vary throughout the year, our direct website offers some worthy deals and packages. For additional assistance, please contact us directly at the hotel so we may ensure that the remainder of your stay exceeds your expectations. We look forward to hearing from you soon.